Anticipating BAD battery life for the Evo

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
you could be watching maybe a recorded movie stored on your mSD card on that beautiful screen....

you would hope(expect) like me that the battery will last throughout the whole movie and then some right???

I know I was just thinking the same thing

EVO User - Hey take a look at this sweet phone! It can do some amazing things, watch movies, and surfing the web with this nice sized screen, takes 720p video, and 8mp camera pictures!

Other Phone User - Wow, that is nice, watching a movie when you are not near a plug or having to lug a laptop around that is impressive. How many movies can you watch on that on a single charge!

EVO User - Well, I could only get throught about maybe an hour or so, till I needed to stop the movie to conserve battery, and I kinda of have to limit what apps I have running. BUT... Check out this SWEET phone, the screen alone is sweet! Look at all the Amazing things it can do!

Other Phone User - But you have to limit what you can do, and you have to be tethered to the wall to through the day if you want do more, or watch more than one movie.

EVO User - Well ya! But check out this SWEET phone, and the screen size! 720p video record!! 8mp Camera!! Multimedia! With a sweet screen!

Other Phone User - Again you can only use the Multimedia for so long till you have to charge it right? So you can't even get through one movie let alone more than one right?

EVO User - Well ya, BUT check out this SWEET phone!!!

Last edited:

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I know I was just thinking the same thing

EVO User - Hey take a look at this sweet phone! It can do some amazing things, watch movies, and surfing the web with this nice sized screen, takes 720p video, and 8mp camera pictures!

Other Phone User - Wow, that is nice, watching a movie when you are not near a plug or having to lug a laptop around that is impressive. How many movies can you watch on that on a single charge!

EVO User - Well, I could only get throught about maybe an hour or so, till I needed to stop the movie to conserve battery, and I kinda of have to limit what apps I have running. BUT... Check out this SWEET phone, the screen alone is sweet! Look at all the Amazing things it can do!

Other Phone User - But you have to limit what you can do, and you have to be tethered to the wall to through the day if you want do more, or watch more than one movie.

EVO User - Well ya! But check out this SWEET phone, and the screen size! 720p video record!! 8mp Camera!! Multimedia! With a sweet screen!

Other Phone User - Again you can only use the Multimedia for so long till you have to charge it right? So you can't even get through one movie let alone more than one right?

EVO User - Well ya, BUT check out this SWEET phone!!!

That was me and my Pre! So I stopped showing it to people, :(

c3PreO

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I would rather carry a spare battery in my bag, pocket, keep in car or whatever, than to add extra bulk to the back of the device for one larger one.

It is super easy to swap the battery so I don't understand why you would want a larger phone. If you have to get a small belt case and keep the spare(s) there.

Just MHO! i:Di

Ya know, I'm with you. I think spare bats are the way to go since its so easy to swap out on the Evo rather than grow it into a fatter phone.

Earlier I was leaning towards the 3500mAh, but now I'm thinkin not.

A couple of spare batts and a couple of USB charger cords for home/vehicle and office will do the trick.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I order a spare charge for the office and a car charge off ebay for dirt cheap. I hope they get here this week before the EVO is out.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I guess one of the advantages of living in a non-4G area (Orlando) is that I can turn the antenna off and save some juice.

I do hope that I can get at least a full day's use the occasional calls, browsing, and texting.

I am sure going to miss my Touchstone though. :(

c3PreO

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Because consumers are. Full stop. Nothing else needs to be said.

Understood.

For their high end/multimedia heavy phones, the least they could do is offer a heavy duty/extended battery option with a matching back cover. They would probably sell more than half the number of phones they activate.

Probably at a better profit margin than the subsidized phone too.

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I don’t understand why phone manufacturers are so hung up on thin phones. If the screen is large and its capable of multimedia up the yin yang, why not equip it with a huge battery?? Or at least have an OEM extended battery option???

I don’t think any one of us cares if it’s a couple of mm thicker as long as it gets us through a solid day (or two) of heavy use. A sleek phone isn’t much good once it’s dead.

Sprint/HTC should have sacrificed svelteness, not battery life.
I'd like to see an OEM extended battery, but only if it's physically OEM size. I have no interest in carrying around a device that won't fit in my front pocket.

A "couple of mm thicker" on a 13mm thick phone is a 15% increase in thickness, and a 20% increase in the device's total volume. After the Treo 650 (which could go 2-3 days on a charge, but lacked GPS and multitasking), I swore off non-pocketable phones, and am only considering the Evo based on reports that it falls within the pocketability threshold. I see it less as a fashion issue than an ergonomic one.

On work days, I keep my phone (currently a Treo Pro with a OEM-size 1650mAh extended battery) in a sync/charge cradle when I'm at my desk, but even on weekends, I can usually get through a day on a single battery; otherwise I have a spare in my glove compartment or desk.

If I had to choose between having an oversized battery, or just activating GPS on an as-needed basis, I'd always choose the latter. YMMV, or course.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Most of the "poor" battery life reviews were not real. They were people quoting other reviewers. But like all phones, turn off apps when done, do not let them run in the background. If you are not in a 4G area, TURN OFF THE 4G RADIO". Most of these "bad battery life" video reviews say they are not in a 4G area, yet you can see the 4G radio on. That is going to drain the battery. Just like leaving WiFi on when not using it, or BlueTooth. My Wifes Samsung "Moment" reviews said it had a bad battery life as well. It doesn't when you turn off apps. It doesn't when you keep the WiFi off when not using it. I think the Evo will be the same way.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Battery smattery...

Just position yourself in such a way to always be ready. No worries, it's just the greatest friggn phone on the planet right now, if all they can complain about is the battery...then it's a bad ass phone that needs plenty of juice; much like a sports car. You don't buy the car because it's good on gas.

It's performance is priority & a ferrari with no gas may as well be a chevette! An EVO with poor recharging habits by the owner may as well be a brick.

(intro the applause)

(grin)

I love this attitude....you're right, you don't buy a Ferrari because of it's MPG... that's a great way to look at it. And on that note, I just ordered an extra battery and wall charger for my Evo. I have the same setup for my BlackBerry now, I swap batteries about 3pm and I'm good for the rest of the night.....same principle here. Be ready to swap battery from phone to charger, and vice versa, then get on with your day. Even if you have to do it 2x a day at first, you always have a fresh, charged battery in the wall waiting. It's not been a hassle at ALL with my Tour, so I'm sure I will be fine with the Evo using the same setup.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Menu>>Settings>>Wireless & networks>>Mobile Networks (the second one)>>Enable always on mobile...

Go there and UNCHECK that option. Will save you lots of battery life and phone works fine without it. I believe it's for people on "extended" networks, meaning those who use a 3rd party partner network instead of Sprint. I just unchecked it and it seems to be saving me battery life and all still works normally so far :)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Guys......

Coming from a woman who NOTICES these things..... your BIG FAT PHONE is so NOT hot. Just carry an extra battery. Please.

Pretty please? Oh, and the phone is NOT an accessory. Don't wear it.

lol....