Any chance of Sprint backtracking on hotspot/4G fees?

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You'd rather pay more elsewhere for 3g, than pay more for 4g with sprint?

Sorry but I still dont understand why folks are so upset by this. I don't currently have 4G and am not bothered at all by $10 upcharge for the Evo.

The plan is still comparable to plans for all the other hotphones out right now.

Evo: (Sprint)
450 mins - 69.99
unlimited messaging - included
unlimited data - included
visual voicemail - included
Evo 4G fee - 10.00
total - $79.99

iPhone: (AT&T)
450 mins - 39.99
data plan - 30.00
unlimited messaging - 20.00
AT&T Navigator - 9.99
total - $99.98

Incredible: (Verizon)
450 mins - 59.99
unlimited messaging - included
data plan - 29.99
visual voicemail - 2.99
VZ Navigator - (?)
total - $92.97

HD2: (T-Mobile)
unlimited mins - 59.99
unlimited messaging - 10.00
data plan - 30.00
visual voicemail - included
GPS - (?)
total - 99.99

The Sprint plan is still comparable with all the other carriers which don't offer 4G in any markets currently. Also I can't see there NOT being an upcharge once 4G rolls out.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
For the average consumer looking for a smartphone Sprint won't be able to sell the $10 tax.

The whole pricing plan is FAIL and it is hard to understand why Sprint can't seem to get it right. It seems like they try to drive customers away at every turn despite great phones and service.

Anyone think there is a chance that Sprint will back down on either the optional hotspot charge or the mandatory $10 fee? Or at least lower them?

Mystic205

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
rather than complain here, i suggest anyone who feels this is an unfair charge to simply email dan@sprint.com

i for one, on principle will not pay $10 extra when my total usage is far far below most current BB and android users..

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon backtracked and eliminated the fee for the hotspot on the Palm Pre-Plus. Hopefully, Sprint will do that here. However, the EVO is bound to be more popular than the Pre-Plus and they may not need to do it if sales projections are not affected by the additional fee.

My next question would be, if they do backtrack, and remove the fee, would that retroactively apply to all of us suckers that get the EVO and pay the $10 extra on launch day?

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
You don't think Sprint reads the forums to see if their is any backlash to the new fee they are charging. When most people should be talking about how great the device is and how the EVO has video chat and simultaneous talk and data, they are instead focusing on the $10 fee. Sprint should realize they need to bury this mistake, at least for now, so people can focus everything that is good about the EVO and the new Sprint network.

At least they could only charge the $10 fee for only the 4g areas. When your home area gets 4G, you then will automatically be charged the $10 fee. When you sign up you will be required to authorize for a $10 extra a month charge once 4G is in your area. That is my suggestion.

Josh K

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Here's my take on the extra $10. The Evo with all its features, is more expensive than most if not all other smartphones out there, and Sprint really couldn't afford to charge only $200 for so they had a choice. Either charge more upfront or do what they did. I'd say they estimated that charging more upfront would cause less people to buy the phone than doing it incrementally. And I'm not so sure they are wrong. There are a lot of people that would hesitate to shell out more money upfront.
That said, I doubt the phone (if they charged what the phone should cost) would be $440 ($200 + 10 a month). I would understand $5 and would gladly pay that.
What do you think?

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Here's my take on the extra $10. The Evo with all its features, is more expensive than most if not all other smartphones out there, and Sprint really couldn't afford to charge only $200 for so they had a choice. Either charge more upfront or do what they did. I'd say they estimated that charging more upfront would cause less people to buy the phone than doing it incrementally. And I'm not so sure they are wrong. There are a lot of people that would hesitate to shell out more money upfront.
That said, I doubt the phone (if they charged what the phone should cost) would be $440 ($200 + 10 a month). I would understand $5 and would gladly pay that.
What do you think?
We'll see when other 4G phones come onto their network. If they don't charge the $10 for a less feature laden phone, then your theory is correct. My guess, is that they just want to bring in money to pay for the 4G infrastructure investment. Sprint's books have been running in the red for a while. They need to increase revenue with new users and perhaps additional fees for premium services. I'm sure the accountants and marketers were butting heads on this one.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
it's amazing how $10 a month can be the difference between success and FAIL!

Sprint's low prices have keep a lot more people from bailing out of the sinking ship. That $10 gets the pricing ever-so-closer to parity. Yes, they are offering more (4G and a great phone), but it might be too early for them to add $240 to a two year contract.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
it's amazing how $10 a month can be the difference between success and FAIL!

That is definitely not the case, seeing how forums are the minority when it comes to cellphone users I really dont see it as an issue. To many students/kids/adults on forums that dont even meet the middle class mark in the economy are the ones you are hearing complain.

yazman666

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok how im i gonna pay extra $10 if my area does not have 4g yet....they should come out with some kind of agreement because they defenetly turned me off on this thing...

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
You'd rather pay more elsewhere for 3g, than pay more for 4g with sprint?

First off, I am not in a 4g area or an area getting 4g. So basically I would be paying $10 a month extra to Sprint for no extra service. Sure on a monthly cost basis Sprint is still cheaper, but their competitors can justify why they cost more. Verizon has a huge network that covers a lot of places, and AT&T you can do voice and data at the same time not to mention you can have the all mighty iphone which is a big plus in my book. It looks like T-mobile is really upgrading their network to support data speeds that equal or surpass Sprint's 4g network. So why am I paying an extra $10 a month? For nothing more than to let Sprint and the other carriers know they can add all the fees they want to my bill and I won't care. Well, I do care, and I will refuse to pay for it. I want the latest and greatest smartphone when I get a new phone, and it looks like for me that is going to be an iphone, HD2, or Incredible. Sprint has lost me as a customer.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
You can look at it my way too. I live in an area where we just got 3G this very year. So I have been paying the same for 1x that others were paying for 3G. It sucked but it was still a lot more affordable than going to Verizon or AT&T.

But now my area is 4G. It sure would have been nice for the price to stay the same on this phone. And now like others have stated Sprint is getting real close to the same cost as the other carriers. I don't think that is a wise move on their part.

I think one of the main reasons people left Sprint was a lack of "cool" phones to choose from. Partially solved with the EVO.

I think one of the main reasons people stuck it out with Sprint is the affordability of their plans. Partially erased with the Evo.

Bottom line: Sprint will probably continue to lose customers.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
First off, I am not in a 4g area or an area getting 4g. So basically I would be paying $10 a month extra to Sprint for no extra service. Sure on a monthly cost basis Sprint is still cheaper, but their competitors can justify why they cost more. Verizon has a huge network that covers a lot of places, and AT&T you can do voice and data at the same time not to mention you can have the all mighty iphone which is a big plus in my book. It looks like T-mobile is really upgrading their network to support data speeds that equal or surpass Sprint's 4g network. So why am I paying an extra $10 a month? For nothing more than to let Sprint and the other carriers know they can add all the fees they want to my bill and I won't care. Well, I do care, and I will refuse to pay for it. I want the latest and greatest smartphone when I get a new phone, and it looks like for me that is going to be an iphone, HD2, or Incredible. Sprint has lost me as a customer.

Well, then you arent getting the latest and greatest smartphone (HD2 been out over a year, iphone multitasking when? incredible.... please, droid DOESNT)

ttkk1

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Wondering, I hate to think that Dan and Sprint is this stupid, to hype the phone, get everyone excited then bust the bubble with the $10 fee. I have no insider information but could this be some crazy marketing scam to get people emotionally engaged in their new product so that there is even more hype then to come in right before the launch date to say that they are dropping the fee to respond to public outrage. Then everyone is happy and even more excited and now a rush to purchase occurs. Any one remember the new coke vs. old coke campaign? not really the same but if I remember correctly there was a lot of emotion from loyal coke drinkers. I am not saying this will work or is working but is interesting to at least consider. We still have 3 weeks.... I am hopeful they will do the right thing.

yazman666

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys i just spoke to a sprint rep and i was adv even if u live in a no-4g area the charge will be applied...im frustrated right now ...im off the forum uuuuufhhhhffhhhrrrrrr i want to go there and slap some big guy at sprint ..

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
i understand they want to try to make as much money as possible with this phone but i sincerely believe that the amount of people that will be turned off by this fee, they will actually loose sales. for those of us in non 4g areas, this is just a highly specced phone that will use data very similarly to the hero or the moment. just cause my processor is faster doesnt mean im watching way more video, or uploading way more.

and salesmen in non 4g areas good luck. i can imagine the sales pitch now "heres the evo, it is a very nice phone and it has 4g, but you cant use it, we are still gonna charge you ten extra dollars a month though. you should definitely buy this"

Last edited:

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Seems Sprint is trying to justify the extra $10 even for just 3G users because they think the nature of the phone will mean heavier than average data use. But some may not be heavy data users... how about this... just bill an extra $10 if going over 5GB.