Any chance of Sprint backtracking on hotspot/4G fees?

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Navigation blows big a$$ donkey balls. i live in the Pittsburgh area and it gets me lost every time. tried to go to the zoo. i got the nice you have arrived and your destination. I was in the ghetto, where did i turn to my google maps on the palm pre and that sucks on the pre. going on vacation please take exit 12 driving and i passed exit 6 and its telling me i missed the exited. From that point on i only use google maps on my pre. never again will i try sprint navigation. i even called sprint and was like this sh!t sucks.

It's more of the fact that the antennas in the pre suck and have a hard time getting a good gps signal. My pre has a hard time getting the gps and sometimes looses the gps signal. On my samsung instinct I never had a problem with it. It's the phone, not the software.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I prefer Sprint Nav to Google Maps (no comparison really) but had issues at times. When I overclocked the Pre, it worked perfectly, as if it had problems keeping up perhaps. The issues were rare but completely disappeared after overclocking. EVO is fast enough that it shouldn't be an issue. The maps are standardized maps used by other GPSs like TomTom, not Sprint's.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Not going to cost anything extra and it's by FAR a better turn-by-turn solution than Google Maps (at least on Android 1.5).

Can't imagine being without my Sprint Navigation!

sprint navigation blows and quit wasting time, I used it long time ago on one of my other devices and it sucked and I'm running 2.1 on my hero and trust me google maps is way better.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I sent an email to Dan Hasse yesterday regarding dumping sprint due to the $10 fee and someone from his office they claim anyway just called me back regarding my email. It was a funny discussion where the rep knew all the info about the fee but after I started asking her questions like why am I not being charged that $10 fee on my HTC Hero that is almost an identical phone just less powerfull she said well you can watch movies on the evo, it was just funny when I told her ok I can do that on my phone and my last 5 phones I've owned through sprint but anyway, its a loose loose situation. They are not going to do anything about it and thats it eventhough at the end she didn't know hereself why they are charging the $10 fee after all my questions. It was just kind of funny.

Oooh she also said Dan Hasse like to compare the Evo to a high definition tv.
I told yes I own a high definition tv but I have a choice through my satelite company to buy high definition service, but with sprint I have no choice. She was pretty stumped. LOL

TXSpazz

May 14, 2010
Visit site
On Pricing

I'm on ATT now and Switching to Sprint is going to be $10 more a month.

On ATT I have an iPhone and an added line for my wife. $110 after tax and fees.

With Sprint (from what I was told) I cant just add a line but have to get the package for two phones with data on both. Sprint is going to be $130 +10 - 20% discount through work = $112 before tax. Tax should be about $10.

Granted the wife will have more features now that she may end up using but it will cost me more...... but $10 isn't a deal breaker.

MOE-GUNZ

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
First off, I am not in a 4g area or an area getting 4g. So basically I would be paying $10 a month extra to Sprint for no extra service. Sure on a monthly cost basis Sprint is still cheaper, but their competitors can justify why they cost more. Verizon has a huge network that covers a lot of places, and AT&T you can do voice and data at the same time not to mention you can have the all mighty iphone which is a big plus in my book. It looks like T-mobile is really upgrading their network to support data speeds that equal or surpass Sprint's 4g network. So why am I paying an extra $10 a month? For nothing more than to let Sprint and the other carriers know they can add all the fees they want to my bill and I won't care. Well, I do care, and I will refuse to pay for it. I want the latest and greatest smartphone when I get a new phone, and it looks like for me that is going to be an iphone, HD2, or Incredible. Sprint has lost me as a customer.

Well that extra $10 will give you simotanious voice and data, video chat, and Youtube HD over Wifi :/

I personally don't think the fee is for 4G itself, but perhaps its for all this premium features you're getting.

beret9987

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The hotspot fees don't bother me so much. If it was 30 for the whole package(10/month premium +20/month hotspot), I'd actually be pretty pleased. I pay for an aircard already so i'll probably just cancel it and go with the hotspot service.

The 10/month isn't a huge deal for me. I work for Wells Fargo so I get a 27% monthly discount on my 5 line family plan, and I can't complain. I could see it killing the flow of new customers though if some customers didn't want text messaging, and only minutes/data as someone mentioned earlier. If you're in for the whole package though, Sprint is still an excellent way of going. And I haven't had issues anywhere in Northern California(live in SF Bay Area) with Sprint.

johnjbrock

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I sent an email to Dan Hasse yesterday regarding dumping sprint due to the $10 fee and someone from his office they claim anyway just called me back regarding my email. It was a funny discussion where the rep knew all the info about the fee but after I started asking her questions like why am I not being charged that $10 fee on my HTC Hero that is almost an identical phone just less powerfull she said well you can watch movies on the evo, it was just funny when I told her ok I can do that on my phone and my last 5 phones I've owned through sprint but anyway, its a loose loose situation. They are not going to do anything about it and thats it eventhough at the end she didn't know hereself why they are charging the $10 fee after all my questions. It was just kind of funny.

Oooh she also said Dan Hasse like to compare the Evo to a high definition tv.
I told yes I own a high definition tv but I have a choice through my satelite company to buy high definition service, but with sprint I have no choice. She was pretty stumped. LOL
We should all email Dan Hesse

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I just read over the 7 pages of this thread. The extra fees suck for the phone but you have to figure it's a new technology so they want to make sure they get money from it. I would give it a few months and I'm sure they will change it. As far as people saying that they don't live in a 4G area so they shouldn't have to pay it. What if you drive in to an area that has 4G? If you want a 4G phone you will have to pay that price for now. I'm sure AT&T will have something similar or higher when the iPhone 4G comes out.

Last edited:

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well that extra $10 will give you simotanious voice and data, video chat, and Youtube HD over Wifi :/

I personally don't think the fee is for 4G itself, but perhaps its for all this premium features you're getting.

You don't quite get it do you. You can only do simultaneous voice and data on a 4g network connection. The nearest 4g network to me is a 4+ hour drive. I know of a carrier now who offers simultaneous voice and data in my market, and that is AT&T. Even if am paying more for an iphone on their network atleast I know I am paying for services I am recieving, unlike the EVO and the "premium data charge" which is really just a a hidden 4g charge.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
You don't quite get it do you. You can only do simultaneous voice and data on a 4g network connection. The nearest 4g network to me is a 4+ hour drive. I know of a carrier now who offers simultaneous voice and data in my market, and that is AT&T. Even if am paying more for an iphone on their network atleast I know I am paying for services I am recieving, unlike the EVO and the "premium data charge" which is really just a a hidden 4g charge.

you can also to do it over wifi.

DocLee

May 14, 2010
Visit site
We should all email Dan Hesse

It's a pointless endeavor. The person that calls you back does nothing more than repeat the high definition talking point. I asked her to define "premium data." She said it was "high definition data." I asked her to explain how the data is "high definition," she said it was a rich data experience. I asked her if the 3G data transmission rate was going to be raised for EVO owners. She said she didn't know. All in all, she had no idea what she was talking about and was merely reading talking points off of a piece of paper. You'd think that if a person takes the time to actually figure out how to get into contact with the CEO of the company, they might hire some people better equipped to handle the questions rather than just level one customer service.

Doc

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm going to wave goodbye to those of you leaving Sprint and keep my smug smile while I play with my new Evo....

lshelmir

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think that AT&T will be adding a per unit premium for the next-gen iPhone, the added $30 cost is not specific to iPhones, its the AT&T Data plan, its called a BlackBerry data plan for the BlackBerrys, and a smartphone data plan for all other "smartphone" devices, and pretty much all AT&T phones are either subject to a data plan or a messaging plan charge. To be completely honest the iPhone is using ALOT more data than my blackberry.

Both with somewhat light usage.
dataused.jpg

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe