Any way to "auto-sleep" when placed in holster/case?

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
As I've previously mentioned, I'm waiting for my S3 to arrive,making the move from BlackBerry after almost 7 years. One of the really nice (I'm sure patented) features all BlackBerry's have had for years is the reed switch to put them automatically in "sleep" mode whenever you slide them into a case designed for BlackBerry - which means a magnet embedded in the case to activate the sleep switch.

The profile settings allow you to set different responses for "in holster" vs. out, so mine is set to automatically go into audio-muted, vibrate-only for everything except phone calls when placed into the holster.

Anything like this in the Android world, and specifically for the S3 I'll soon have?

Droosh

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I believe you can use profiles or an app like tasker. If that fails you can always stick a cheap NFC tag on any dock (or anything else) and program it for sleep.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you will be able to adjust settings such as muted audio/vibrate only with the NFC TecTiles.

For your reference:

Samsung TecTiles

Couldn't use get an NFC tag from tagstand.com and set it to do that?

Thanks - already was looking at those, definitely interesting. The issue I see is - easy enough to put it INTO sleep mode that way, by sticking one of those tags inside the case. NOT so easy getting it OUT of sleep mode though, wouldn't you need another tag somewhere (not in the holster) to put it close to for that? And just where are you going to keep that second tag to always have it handy?

I believe you can use profiles or an app like tasker. If that fails you can always stick a cheap NFC tag on any dock (or anything else) and program it for sleep.

Yes, essentially when the BlackBerry is put into a holster, it goes to a different profile. The trick is how to get the S3 to KNOW its been put into the holster so that it will switch to that profile? As for the NFC tags, see above - seems like half an answer, but not the whole answer.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - already was looking at those, definitely interesting. The issue I see is - easy enough to put it INTO sleep mode that way, by sticking one of those tags inside the case. NOT so easy getting it OUT of sleep mode though, wouldn't you need another tag somewhere (not in the holster) to put it close to for that? And just where are you going to keep that second tag to always have it handy?

Yes, essentially when the BlackBerry is put into a holster, it goes to a different profile. The trick is how to get the S3 to KNOW its been put into the holster so that it will switch to that profile? As for the NFC tags, see above - seems like half an answer, but not the whole answer.

When you take out out of tje holster just hit tje power or home button and it will wake it up

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Hilbe

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - already was looking at those, definitely interesting. The issue I see is - easy enough to put it INTO sleep mode that way, by sticking one of those tags inside the case. NOT so easy getting it OUT of sleep mode though, wouldn't you need another tag somewhere (not in the holster) to put it close to for that?

Could you put 2 NFC tags in the holster, 1 at the bottom and 1 at the top. So upon inserting into the holster, the phone passes over both NFC tags, reads "wake up" tag, reads the "sleep" tag, and then is resting on the "sleep" tag in the holster. Upon removing from holster, it passes over the "wake up" tag only.

Thoughts?

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
When you take out out of tje holster just hit tje power or home button and it will wake it up

I'll have to play with it once it arrives, hope it ends up being that simple! My BB Torch goes into a mode in the holster where phone calls ring as normal, but every other event (email, SMS, IM, etc) only uses vibration. That sounds like a profile rather than just "sleep." If you simply put it to sleep, will phone calls still ring while everything else is vibrate-only?

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Could you put 2 NFC tags in the holster, 1 at the bottom and 1 at the top. So upon inserting into the holster, the phone passes over both NFC tags, reads "wake up" tag, reads the "sleep" tag, and then is resting on the "sleep" tag in the holster. Upon removing from holster, it passes over the "wake up" tag only.

Thoughts?

No idea - guess it depends on where the NFC sensor is physically located within the S3, and whether two tags that close can be read properly as you describe, or would just interfere with each other?

Hilbe

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
No idea - guess it depends on where the NFC sensor is physically located within the S3, and whether two tags that close can be read properly as you describe, or would just interfere with each other?

NFC antenna is in the battery. I just put 2 tags next to each other to mimic a holster. I did an insert / removal (using a Galaxy Nexus) and it worked as I described. I got my tags from tagstand.com.

Reactions: DallasFlier

Hilbe

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
NFC antenna is in the battery. I just put 2 tags next to each other to mimic a holster. I did an insert / removal (using a Galaxy Nexus) and it worked as I described. I got my tags from tagstand.com.

One note, you might have to move it in/out of the holster at a certain pace to make sure the tag(s) are read.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

One note, you might have to move it in/out of the holster at a certain pace to make sure the tag(s) are read.

Thanks! Good info. Off to tagstand to order my tags! :)

Droosh

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Also, I'm not sure why this is unnecessary in the first place. Why not just tap the power button which turns off the screen? I do this and test it with my G-Nex with CPU Spy app and it automatically shuts off one of the CPU cores entirely and puts the other core into "deep sleep" mode. For funtionality issues I suggest you look at the app tasker and look at some of the truly cool things people have done with this. I think XDA had a huge thread where people post their profile files for examples.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Also, I'm not sure why this is unnecessary in the first place. Why not just tap the power button which turns off the screen? I do this and test it with my G-Nex with CPU Spy app and it automatically shuts off one of the CPU cores entirely and puts the other core into "deep sleep" mode. For funtionality issues I suggest you look at the app tasker and look at some of the truly cool things people have done with this. I think XDA had a huge thread where people post their profile files for examples.

Issue is, I want to do more than just turn the screen off. Want to change the notifications on some, but not all events from audio to vibrate-only and back again. Maybe you can do it with the app tasker you mention, but again it seems you have to have a way to kick off the task? I am new to Android though, so will run over to xda and look.

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I used to have Blackberries and understand how useful this feature is in the Blackberry. Basically there was a magnet in the case... and whenever the phone was around this magnet (in a specific location) it would go into "holster mode".

I like the idea of using NFC tags to put it into "holster mode"... just not sure how well it would work when taking the phone out of the holster? If the phone can quickly register an NFC tag... then maybe putting two tags in the case would work. But if it's not quick enough... maybe you'd need to use a tag to put it in the holster and push a button to change the mode when you take it out of the holster?

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I used to have Blackberries and understand how useful this feature is in the Blackberry. Basically there was a magnet in the case... and whenever the phone was around this magnet (in a specific location) it would go into "holster mode".

I like the idea of using NFC tags to put it into "holster mode"... just not sure how well it would work when taking the phone out of the holster? If the phone can quickly register an NFC tag... then maybe putting two tags in the case would work. But if it's not quick enough... maybe you'd need to use a tag to put it in the holster and push a button to change the mode when you take it out of the holster?

Yep, that's been my thought. The "putting it into" seems obvious, while the "getting it out of" isn't. But I just found this interesting statement on a CNet review of TecTiles:

In some cases, you can mix and match tasks within the same category, so that tapping the NFC-capable phone to the sticker you've affixed to your bedside lamp turns on night mode and the alarm, and tapping it again toggles them off.
Samsung TecTiles: NFC stickers do cool stuff with your phone

That sounds like exactly what one needs, although I guess you'd have to pull the phone away and then briefly tap it against the case to take it "out" of holster mode? Definitely worth experimenting more.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That sounds exactly like what Motorola did with the Droid X to put it into car mode. They used a magnet and when the phone was inserted into the car dock car mode would start up automatically.