Any way to get Pixel to not compress sent photos?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this doesn't work on the Android Messages app though.

That is why I love Android .. So I can use apps that work better then most "stock" ones :D. I have used Textra literally for years on all kinds of phones from LG, Samsung, to Google. All works without an issue.

I just sent 13 pics at once to 8 different people (group text) on mother's day. All went through .. they all got em.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the stock Google apps, I also purchased Textra but no longer use it. it's no issue for me because I use text as little as possible. the compression of photos over text is terrible. I use Allo and WhatsApp. I only use text for users that just refuse to use something better. the sooner Google introduces the new Android message app they are supposedly working on the better.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this doesn't work on the Android Messages app though.
I'll have to disagree. It may involve more than one keypress but it's certainly possible. Follow the pictures.
57c66ab92951a9e87d5acf27a875cfed.jpg
678a876a3896bdb37dc672eac2c6c4db.jpg
d9446667812700be6d2612d4e8b9e3f5.jpg
b505665426fd11800f75166699057c93.jpg
4171668031b0dadb39475f8db3e645be.jpg

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I want to open my text app. tap on a person and share ANY photo on google photos AS WELL AS pictures I took with my phone. (all of which Should be in ONE place: Photos)
When I open up a text and tap + I can ONLY share the pictures taken on/by the Pixel phone.
The Only way to share on old photo is to go thru a back door? I have to go to google photos, find a picture, hit share, then pick a name...
Again, why does android makes things Such a massive chore? Why can I not just pic Any picture directly from the text thread?
I always thought things were this difficult because of being a Samsung user. come to find out it's just android. Samsung is actually just trying to fix a broken OS, Android.

That's not true. When I tap the + I can choose from all the things I've taken photos of with the camera, pictures I've downloaded, pictures I've downloaded from other messages etc. To do this, you need to make sure that all of your device folders are set to be backed up to photos.

When I go to my Google photos app, it shows everything there too. Like I said, because I have all the different folders set to back up.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I got bored today and bought a Pixel 2 (not XL) from Verizon.
Is there any way to make android NOT compress the crapola out of pictures being sent through Android / Google Messages? I also tried VZW Message app too. Still compressed.
Unfortunately all my friends just ditched Allo after google announced it was done with that app. And i am not going to be able to talk all my friends into another "special" app just for pictures. So i just need to remove compression. if possible.
I have sent photos to my iPhone and they look like trash. The Pixel Camera takes amazing pictures that look amazing on the pixel phone. if you send a picture to anyone, it loses everything that makes the camera special. blurry and terrible looking.
If I send a phone FROM my iPhone TO the pixel, it still looks about Half a good as the original picture, So, Pixel or Android seem to be compressing photos so much that it's useless for MMS. I would have to go back to emailing pictures if i wanted people to see the Full Picture.

Use something other than MMS.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Isn't RCS already rolled out in the US? It's already available in my country if I use Google Messages app. Just go to settings and turn on Chat features.

Go deeper into RCS.

Google wants to align OEMs and carriers onto a single RCS profile (Google Chat).

Some carriers are already doing RCS but it really only helps when messaging on compatible phones on the same carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maddy2005