Any Way to "One-Step" Power Off on LG Phones?

Bicyclematt

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
I have an LG V35 running Oreo. It's relatively new and I am trying to learn to deal with their stupid design decisions after replacing my lost Moto g5 Plus which I adored.

Besides the stupid idea of a fingerprint reader on the back--so I always have to pick up my damn phone to unlock it--the single-most frustrating thing is not being able to turn off the phone with one screen press. I keep waking up and finding out that my phone never shut off because I forgot about the ^&%$@!!!!!! "are you sure" type message. I've Googled it to death, but I can't find any way to change this behavior or an app that will (without possibly rooting my phone--which I don't want to do).

SOMEONE must have figured something out (besides DO NOT BUY an LG).

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Any Way to "One-Step" Power Off on LG Phones?

Many members, including myself, use and enjoy LG phones and have a high opinion of them. Don't be surprised if you find that your opinions receive little sympathy.

Bicyclematt

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
Re: Any Way to "One-Step" Power Off on LG Phones?

I won't take offense--To each their own. My husband prefers LG phones. I am trying to acclimate to LG from Moto but all of my prior Smartphones were LGs, so much of this is just having gotten so comfortable with Moto. I had forgotten some of these quirks from LG.

I just want to find a work around for the Power Off situation, so sorry if I vented a little. :)

P.S. I sort of feel like LGs are like Flounders (fish). The button just happened to migrate as it aged from one place to another LOL

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S10+, but I had an LG V20 for the past 2 years. I had no issues with turning off the V20 or using the fingerprint sensor. However, in my case I came from Moto phones that didn't even have fingerprint sensors. When I originally played with phones with fingerprint sensors, I thought the fingerprint sensor on the back was easier to use than a fingerprint sensor on the front.

If you don't care for the LG stock launcher, you can always try a different launcher. I used Nova Prime on both my Moto and LG phones. There are many other good launchers available, but Nova is the only one I've tried.

Bicyclematt

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
@laura I've been using Nova for a while :) The Launcher isn't the problem. It's really just the power off function.

I only am using the Free version of Nova--does the Prime version give you control of the power button?

Bicyclematt

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
When I originally played with phones with fingerprint sensors, I thought the fingerprint sensor on the back was easier to use than a fingerprint sensor on the front.

I know this is off my real topic, but I spend most of my day with my phone flat on my desk (face up). If I hear a notification or want to check to see what's going on, with my old Moto, I could just put my index finger on the sensor and read my phone. I could do that even if I had my pen in my hand.

Now, I have to put down whatever I have in my hand, pick up the phone, find the sensor with my finger, and then put the phone back down flat. I also have smallish hands, so there's a fair amount of fumbling to do this if I am not focused. As much as I don't trust it, I actually just activated face recognition, which still means I have to lurch to lean over my phone (after I wake up the screen), but at least I don't have to always pick it up.

Regardless of logic or probably perfectly valid design reasons, it seems like everything on an LG takes multiple steps. I do regret not waiting longer to see if a decent condition Moto G5 Plus turned up on Swappa (one did two days after I ordered the V35) or maybe trying out the X4 (although the specs and reviews were not as good as for the V35).

It's all relative. Our new work phones are iPhone VRs and I actually prefer my V35 :) LOL

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I know this is off my real topic, but I spend most of my day with my phone flat on my desk (face up). If I hear a notification or want to check to see what's going on, with my old Moto, I could just put my index finger on the sensor and read my phone. I could do that even if I had my pen in my hand.

Now, I have to put down whatever I have in my hand, pick up the phone, find the sensor with my finger, and then put the phone back down flat. I also have smallish hands, so there's a fair amount of fumbling to do this if I am not focused. As much as I don't trust it, I actually just activated face recognition, which still means I have to lurch to lean over my phone (after I wake up the screen), but at least I don't have to always pick it up.

Regardless of logic or probably perfectly valid design reasons, it seems like everything on an LG takes multiple steps. I do regret not waiting longer to see if a decent condition Moto G5 Plus turned up on Swappa (one did two days after I ordered the V35) or maybe trying out the X4 (although the specs and reviews were not as good as for the V35).

It's all relative. Our new work phones are iPhone VRs and I actually prefer my V35 :) LOL
I'm glad that face recognition is at least providing you with a partial solution. Hopefully things will improve as you get used to your new LG phone.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
@laura I've been using Nova for a while :) The Launcher isn't the problem. It's really just the power off function.

I only am using the Free version of Nova--does the Prime version give you control of the power button?
Welcome to the forums. My wife still loves her Moto G5 Plus as well and she doesn't plan to get a new device in the next future :)

Just to be sure about your question, do you mean Power or Screen off? To switch the phone completely off you need the power button and custom launchers like Nova won't help. But if you mean just Screen off this option is available in Nova Prime, setting a gesture like a double tap, as I have.

Bicyclematt

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. My wife still loves her Moto G5 Plus as well and she doesn't plan to get a new device in the next future :)

Just to be sure about your question, do you mean Power or Screen off?

Power off is what I meant. Had I not dropped my Moto (hole in shorts pocket) and had someone walk off with it before I realized it was missing, I think I would have had the Moto for at least 5 years, depending on OS updates. :-/

Bicyclematt

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
If you root the phone, you could use Quick Reboot Pro. Tap to open the menu, choose Power Off.
(Or you could choose a Power Off widget to save a tap.)
@Rukbat, thanks. When you mention a widget, do you mean one from "Quick Reboot Pro" or something else that I can use w/o rooting? I'm just not comfortable (never having done it) with rooting a brand new phone. Maybe I will practice with one of the old mid-ranges gathering dust in my drawer.