Any word on a LTE version

rdmartin1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
There was rumor of a 3g version of the original Transformer. Has anyone heard whether ASUS will offer LTE or at least 3G data. Wifi only won't cut it.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Even if they had 3G/4G Primes, I would stick with the wifi version and tether or use mifi since Verizon or AT&T would delay any updates.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There was rumor of a 3g version of the original Transformer. Has anyone heard whether ASUS will offer LTE or at least 3G data. Wifi only won't cut it.

Not a rumor they are real and yes Asus will release mobile data equipped versions later of the Prime.

rdmartin1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Cool..I'm going to wait it out...I'm not carrying around a Mifi and I cannot modify my plan to add tethering...I have unltd data :)

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Cool..I'm going to wait it out...I'm not carrying around a Mifi and I cannot modify my plan to add tethering...I have unltd data :)

I'm on Verizon and am grandfathered in on unlimited data, and they told me I could add or discontinue Mobile Hotspot at any time. (I added Mobile Hotspot for the Thanksgiving/Christmas period but intend to discontinue it at the end of the calendar year.)

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it, unless you need network data all the time (like, it's for work and you're in the field every day) I can't justify paying $100 more and be tied up in a 2 year contract just to have onboard 4G. I have 3G on my Galaxy Tab and use so little data I am cancelling it. On top of that, my tethering plan can be added and taken off at will (so no additional contract) and is cheaper than what I'm paying for tab data.

When you add in the faster updates, buying a data enabled tab makes little sense for most people.

Reactions: Jonneh

rdmartin1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't get it on contract..I have an Ipad on month to month now. My first tablet was a 3G Galaxy Tab and I told myself the data was a waste. Not thinking about how much I am out and about and how slow the internet is at my job....Yes 3G is faster than the wifi there...I switched from the GTab to a Transformer..I missed having the internal radio when needed...Carrying a mifi is not an option...And I hate this Ipad...It sucks big time...

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

You can add and delete Mobile HotSpot as many times as you want without losing your Unlimited Data. And since you have Unlimited, your MHS will be unlimited, too. :D

Or, as somebody has already said, you CAN root your Thunderbolt and run something like Wireless Tether for free. It IS a violation of your Terms of Service to do that (i.e. doing tethering without paying for MHS), but rooting your phone is easy and totally reversible. You do not have to install a custom ROM to do all this, though, once rooted, you can.

As an aside, it really is nice to be able to fully backup all your apps and app data with Titanium Backup, onto your SD card, so you can restore any or all of it at any time. And you can only do that if you root your phone.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
You can add and delete Mobile HotSpot as many times as you want without losing your Unlimited Data. And since you have Unlimited, your MHS will be unlimited, too. :D

The bolded part isn't true, at least on Verizon - VZW's mobile hotspot costs $20/month for 2 GB of tethering, regardless of whether you are grandfathered or not on your cellular data plan.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene