Anybody Else Concerned with Google's Commitment to Older Models?

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
I'm a Pixel 5 user. Google hyped this phone to the moon before launch and just a couple months later released the 5a. It looks to me like Google has done almost everything they can to remove all traces of the Pixel 5. Accessories vanished from the face of the earth and the 5 was gone from their website in a flash. The 5 was cancelled 6 months after release, and while still supported, I fear getting repairs if needed will be problematic. When I purchased my first Pixel 5 from Google directly it was defective. Pink line up the left side of the screen = bad hardware. Google was very understanding and agreed to send me a replacement unit. Except they couldn't get one. The 5a had just been released and they're telling me they have none of their previous flagship phones to send me?? Google doesn't have any of their own flagship phones?? They abandoned the 5 awfully fast. I was able to get another P5 from a seller right here on the forum and cancel my replacement from Google. They gave me a complete refund, although I had to complain about a $35 "restocking fee" they tried to charge me. How the hell are you going charge to re-stock a defective phone?? I also made sure I was getting reimbursed for the protection plan. That came as a separate refund.

All in all, this left me with a bad taste in my mouth for Google.

Now here comes the 6a, right on the heels of the 6/6PRO. Maybe I'm just a little butt-hurt from my Pixel 5 experience with Google. But is Google going to step away from the 6/6Pro like they did with the 5? Seems they're also distancing themselves from the 5a. Maybe it's just me and perhaps this is simply how companies behave with new products taking the limelight. I've been an iPhone guy for a while now the feeling with Apple and older iPhones is quite different. You can still get accessories for the iPhone 12 and event the iPhone 11 right on Apple's website. I understand that Apple is now primarily a phone company and Pixels are a sideline for Google. Is this just the reality with which I must get comfortable?

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
The Pixel 5 was an odd bird due to the timing, chip shortage and more. The plans for it were all messed up and it seemed slightly 'cursed' from the jump due to the timing. I can understand why it has left a bad taste in your mouth for Google, but personally I see it as one off bump in the road for them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah don't like they dropped the pixel 5 like that , my experience with the 5 was awesome , good size, rugged coating, best battery life since my Note 9 almost average 1.5 days with 5 to 6 SOT
Had great specs even with midrange chip.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android phones have always been disadvantaged when it comes to accessories as well, for various reasons. The sheer variety of Android phones makes it harder for a company to commit to making specific accessories for any model, while Apple just has essentially one model for a given year (or sometimes maybe two).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with you! I *love* my Pixel 5 and have had it for nine months, but I'm getting glitches and weird stuff like that. If I need to get it replaced (and like you, OP, I have Google Preferred Care), what will happen?

I'm wondering if Google ditched the 5 line because it's not the same kind of flagship calibre as the Pixel 6 line. Maybe they want to make more cash so they're going after the big-ticket items.

It's unfortunate, for as I love my Pixel 5 and it's been one of the best phones I've ever owned -- but with no replacements in sight, I don't know what will happen when my Pixel 5 breaks or fails. Since I have Google Preferred Care, I wonder if they'd just ship me a 5a. I'd rather have my 5 but since Preferred Care was expensive, I'm hoping Google won't drop that by the wayside if a customer needs assistance. Only time will tell.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
I totally agree with you! I *love* my Pixel 5 and have had it for nine months, but I'm getting glitches and weird stuff like that. If I need to get it replaced (and like you, OP, I have Google Preferred Care), what will happen?

I'm wondering if Google ditched the 5 line because it's not the same kind of flagship calibre as the Pixel 6 line. Maybe they want to make more cash so they're going after the big-ticket items.

It's unfortunate, for as I love my Pixel 5 and it's been one of the best phones I've ever owned -- but with no replacements in sight, I don't know what will happen when my Pixel 5 breaks or fails. Since I have Google Preferred Care, I wonder if they'd just ship me a 5a. I'd rather have my 5 but since Preferred Care was expensive, I'm hoping Google won't drop that by the wayside if a customer needs assistance. Only time will tell.

What Google *should* do is upgrade you to the 5a under Preferred Care should you ever need it. My fear is that you'll get put in queue for a replacement Pixel 5 that will never come. Fingers crossed that you'll find a worthy upgrade long before you need to replace your 5.

Google's Tensor chip is in its infancy. There is NO WAY I'd touch a first generation chip like the Tensor. Growing pains are a natural part of the upgrade cycle, but I'm not willing to live on the bleeding edge of technology anymore. I'm all about time-tested reliability now, even if it means compromising on performance. I've come to realize that I'm happy with 'good enough' instead of the latest/greatest. I understand my needs better now that I've matured. Just don't ask my wife's opinion on the whole maturity thing!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What Google *should* do is upgrade you to the 5a under Preferred Care should you ever need it. My fear is that you'll get put in queue for a replacement Pixel 5 that will never come. Fingers crossed that you'll find a worthy upgrade long before you need to replace your 5.

Google's Tensor chip is in its infancy. There is NO WAY I'd touch a first generation chip like the Tensor. Growing pains are a natural part of the upgrade cycle, but I'm not willing to live on the bleeding edge of technology anymore. I'm all about time-tested reliability now, even if it means compromising on performance. I've come to realize that I'm happy with 'good enough' instead of the latest/greatest. I understand my needs better now that I've matured. Just don't ask my wife's opinion on the whole maturity thing!

If I were to have a choice (which I know wouldn't happen), I'd go for a 5a instead of a refurbished device. If I pay into a service like Preferred Care, I want a new device to be sent to me. But that's just me.

Definitely! I have my eye on OnePlus, Samsung, and the Pixel 7. I too don't really want to take my chances with Tensor now. I'd rather wait until the software is further developed before I take a chance on it -- especially with how expensive these phones are. I think I've also adopted that philosophy about "good enough" or even "last year's best" and don't have a need for the greatest and most recent.

Don't worry about that! I'm the immature wife in my marriage! My husband knows that I'll whine for toys and candy -- and whenever I mention a new phone or thinking about new pgones, he's like, "You just got one!" 🤣 (Which would be true.)

Last edited:

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
If I were to have a choice (which I know wouldn't happen), I'd go for a 5a instead of a refurbished device. If I pay into a service like Preferred Care, I want a new device to be sent to me. But that's just me.

Definitely! I have my eye on OnePlus, Samsung, and the Pixel 7. I too don't really want to take my chances with Tensor now. I'd rather wait until the software is further developed before I take a chance on it -- especially with how expensive these phones are. I think I've also adopted that philosophy about "good enough" or even "last year's best" and don't have a need for the greatest and most recent.

Don't worry about that! I'm the immature wife in my marriage! My husband knows that I'll whine for toys and candy -- and whenever I mention a new phone or thinking about new pgones, he's like, "You just got one!" ������ (Which would be true.)

When I first tried for a replacement Pixel 5 from Google I insisted to the rep that I wanted new, not refurbished. I bought new and I expected new. She said, "Ah, I'll make a notation in your case notes." That tells me they intended to hit me with a refurb, or at least had this as an option.

All the online chat reps with whom I spoke were aces. Quick to understand my problem and willing to do anything they could to fix the situation. Unfortunately their hands were tied as to what they could actually accomplish. I deal with unhappy customers almost every day at work so I know the person I'm speaking with at Google did not have anything to do with my problem. They're just there to help. This knowledge aids me in keeping a cool and pleasant attitude during these online chats, kind of what I wish would happen at my job. The Googlers tried their best to get me a new Pixel 5 replacement but it simply was not going to happen. Thankfully, I was able to score a mint Pixel 5 right on this very forum and then cancel my warranty replacement through Google.

If anyone goes through this nightmare my recommendation is to make sure to ask them to waive any "restocking" fee ($35) and get a pro-rated refund for any Preferred Care plan or warranty. This stuff does not happen unless you ask for it and insist.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
When I first tried for a replacement Pixel 5 from Google I insisted to the rep that I wanted new, not refurbished. I bought new and I expected new. She said, "Ah, I'll make a notation in your case notes." That tells me they intended to hit me with a refurb, or at least had this as an option.

All the online chat reps with whom I spoke were aces. Quick to understand my problem and willing to do anything they could to fix the situation. Unfortunately their hands were tied as to what they could actually accomplish. I deal with unhappy customers almost every day at work so I know the person I'm speaking with at Google did not have anything to do with my problem. They're just there to help. This knowledge aids me in keeping a cool and pleasant attitude during these online chats, kind of what I wish would happen at my job. The Googlers tried their best to get me a new Pixel 5 replacement but it simply was not going to happen. Thankfully, I was able to score a mint Pixel 5 right on this very forum and then cancel my warranty replacement through Google.

If anyone goes through this nightmare my recommendation is to make sure to ask them to waive any "restocking" fee ($35) and get a pro-rated refund for any Preferred Care plan or warranty. This stuff does not happen unless you ask for it and insist.

Ah, yes. Based on what they said to you when you asked for a new device, they were most definitely going to offer you a refurbished one. I totally get what you are saying! I used to work in retail/food service (a kid's theme park) and customers don't seem to understand that the people with whom you usually speak are just the frontline -- we have to enforce rules; rules over which we have no control. it's good that you kept a level head -- I'm sure the reps really appreciated it. It's too bad that they all want to help so badly, but can't actually follow through with what you really want, due to the stock of the Pixel 5.

Thank you for your suggestion! If this ever happens to me, I'll be sure to ask for a refund on Google Preferred Care. I just really like my Pixel 5, so even though I don't *want* refurbished, I wonder if I'd settle for it until another phone caught my eye. But that's a hypothetical situation! So glad you got a mint Pixel 5 here on the forums!

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The available accessories is one of the reasons I bought a Samsung last year. However, the desire for accessories fades after a short time and that becomes less of a factor. I will usually buy 4-5 cases for my phones but there is usually one that becomes my favorite and I stop using the other ones. Sometimes we can make up reasons in our minds why we want or need a certain phone and we begin to falsely justify it.

I do have some concerns about Google's hardware support as they constantly switch directions. They introduced soli in the pixel 4 and then abandoned it. My banking app didn't support face unlock with my pixel 4xl. I waited and waited for it to be updated to work thinking that surely this soli thing would catch on. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I moved on to iOS and then quickly came back to Samsung and everything works on it. No problems with the fps working with security sign in.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
-- and whenever I mention a new phone or thinking about new pgones, he's like, "You just got one!" (Which would be true.)

This sounds exactly like my wife! She is going on her 3rd year with her iphone 11 pro and can't understand why I'm never satisfied with a phone for as long as she is. She always claims it's because I'm on Android. She likes to poke fun at me about it. She usually has no real issue with me switching phones as long as it doesn't cost us anymore money to do it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This sounds exactly like my wife! She is going on her 3rd year with her iphone 11 pro and can't understand why I'm never satisfied with a phone for as long as she is. She always claims it's because I'm on Android. She likes to poke fun at me about it. She usually has no real issue with me switching phones as long as it doesn't cost us anymore money to do it.

He is very kind about it and likes to tease me! Like your wife, my husband keeps his [Android] phones for a very long time! He upgrades every two or three years.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Really don't trust pixel devices anymore after the last few launches.
I see Pixel devices as testing devices for Google. They are not meant to sell in huge numbers or be available for years. If you buy one, you have to understand this. I've had a couple and they were OK (loved the 5a) but I too am staying clear of them. Too many good devices to choose from now.