Anyone actually using Bixby?

perrochingon

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I feel that for Bixby to work at its full potential (aside from the missing voice feature) is that you need to go all in with Samsung's apps. I am currently using google apps as far as calendar and gmail go. But I've been thinking of switching to Samsung's app suite and Bixby to see if I like it over google apps and google now/assistant. I'm just wondering if Bixby also shows cards based on email info such as flights, package tracking info, etc.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
When the voice part of Bixby is eventually activated will it be always listening and be voice activated like OK Google without having to hit the Bixby button first? Really hoping it is as I think it could be really good going forward

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping they fix the button when you press it. It's hit and miss for me. I won't use it if it's not reliable.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Every so often I accidentally hit the button and it opens. And then I promptly close it. It doesn't serve me any useful purpose on top of Google Now stuff.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping they fix the button when you press it. It's hit and miss for me. I won't use it if it's not reliable.

They changed the button press with the last update. It used to be a normal press to open but now you have to quickly tap it instead. If you're still having trouble opening it then a lot of people doing a double tap works better as the second tap is naturally quicker and is the one that activates it

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So with Nova launcher for T-Mobile. After first update it was double press to launch. After latest update its single press again.

I use it but wish it was double press. Too bad you can change it to do so.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
When I got the Google Pixel XL I thought Assistant was amazing played with it for the first few days.

It faded away after a few days. I never used it again the 3 months I owned it.

Do you think I use Bixby? LOL

atremorer

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I know it's not fully activated because it has no voice functions but it's actually also really unattractive and actually doesn't show much helpful. Samsung really needs to open up re-mapping of that button so that it might prove useful.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I actually quite like it.. well as far as it works anyway.. Upday news, weather.. notes.. that kinda thing... its good coz its all in one button.. .. but I think a great use for it would be Samsung travel guide.. so

We as users log the places we live with vision.. then Samsung takes our data, creates a data base of "Places" similar to Trip Advisor or PInterest.. then when someone goes on Holiday to your area.. they can look up places to visit based on what we, the users have created and set-up.. without having to download 20 travel apps, you could even add common greetings and phrases in different languages to help get around.. ..... This would be the best use of it IMO

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It's completely superfluous next to Google Assistant and should have never been released in the first place. Samsung had better use their resources to push out timely updates rather than coming up with inferior clones of software that's already there.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I clicked on it when I first got the phone to see what it was about, but I don't use it. I also don't hate it and I've never accidentally hit the button so that being there doesn't bother me.

ConceptVBS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
It's completely superfluous next to Google Assistant and should have never been released in the first place. Samsung had better use their resources to push out timely updates rather than coming up with inferior clones of software that's already there.

You obviously have no clue what Bixby is. You're only hypothesizing what it is.

Bixby and Google's Assistant is philosphically and technically different.
Bixby is a voice enabled user interface that attempts to replace touch interface.
It will do things locally on your phone that no other voice enabled agents can. For example, simply saying the word "Change my language setting to French" will do just that. In contract, using touch, it requires a tour of the setting menu, digging deeply through the language menu tree to find the French language item and enable it. That requires multiple steps. This is especially helpful for those who dont know the menu tree system of Android. Using a voice interface will save time and hassle to enable such features.

Over time, the capabilities of Bixby will grow as it will integrate with thirdparty apps. When that happens, you can say things like, "Open Facebook and like the first post made by my best friend (Tom) and send him the picture that I took last Wednesday with him. Also, set up a reminder to give him a call when I get home". All of that in one sentence. Seriously. Google's Assitant cant do that nor any other voice agent cant do that.

To give you some ideas, here are some videos showing its capabilities:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasia40