Anyone dislike their S3?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Guys I need some help. I want a stock android phone. Verizon has what I want, but it isn't an option. I want LTE capability& stock Android for prompt updates and software support. I can get the GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus but it isn't compatible with AT&T's LTE network. However the GS3& HOX are. What are your suggestions?

Get... The s3?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

carlosrey23

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a few issues with my S III. The keyboard SUCKS. It might be because I have an invisible shield, but I have never had such problem with any other phone with one. I am taking the it off tonight and will try it for a little while. If that isn't the issue, this phone is going back and I will unfortunately have to go back the the 4S.

Other smaller issues are the lack of lock screen controls for the music app or spotify and the fact that I can't find a way to access my music library by using the music player widget... only through the app icon. Also, some things just seem unneccesarily laborious like changing dock icons or creating folders.

Try a 3rd party keyboard. Right now the two best KB in the market are Swiftkey3 and Thumb Keyboard. I have tested just about every major KB in the market and always came back to the TKB, until the release of Swiftkey3. It is an amazing KB, very customizable, you can skin it like an iPhoneKb if that is your thing, but predictability is amazing. I use two languages interchangeable and simultaneously, and it can keep up with spelling/corrections, and suggestions. I am very impressed with it!!!

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Try a 3rd party keyboard. Right now the two best KB in the market are Swiftkey3 and Thumb Keyboard. I have tested just about every major KB in the market and always came back to the TKB, until the release of Swiftkey3. It is an amazing KB, very customizable, you can skin it like an iPhoneKb if that is your thing, but predictability is amazing. I use two languages interchangeable and simultaneously, and it can keep up with spelling/corrections, and suggestions. I am very impressed with it!!!

I know it doesn't make sense, and I am just being hard headed, but I refuse to pay to fix the keyboard. It just doesn't recognize many key taps. In many cases it will show the highlighted letter above it when I press it but never shows up in what I am typing.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I know it doesn't make sense, and I am just being hard headed, but I refuse to pay to fix the keyboard. It just doesn't recognize many key taps. In many cases it will show the highlighted letter above it when I press it but never shows up in what I am typing.

Yes. You are being hard headed. But if u wish to ignore the amazing flexibility that android allows you to have, and don't want to spend less than a lunch at McDonalds for something you'll use every day, that's your decision!

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes. You are being hard headed. But if u wish to ignore the amazing flexibility that android allows you to have, and don't want to spend less than a lunch at McDonalds for something you'll use every day, that's your decision!

it is cute how you can spin a major fault in the user experience as the "amazing flexibility" of android and I should be honored to get to pay more to fix it.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I agree about the keyboard. The built in Samsung one was horrible. I've downloaded swiftkey3, and Swype beta and both are tolerable but not on the level of the iPhone. Maybe because I'm new to the phone but the predictability just isn't on par with iOS. Granted I was able to fix this problem I hated how after every press of the spacebar the keyboard tried to guess my next word.

As far as a good music player, double twist has been ok but agreed there seems to be no lock screen support. Nothing as fluid as the iPhone/iTunes but I think Apple dominates the portable music market for a reason.

Overall there are some minor grievances for a diehard Apple geek giving Android a fair shot. Whenever I use my iPad I realize just how well something as simple as cut and paste works in iOS compared to Android.

However I dont think anyone should go into a new platform blindly and you should always do your homework first. But all in all my experience has been a pleasant one. I definitely like the customization of Android. The maturity of this platform coupled with the incredible hardware of the Galaxy SIII make this a great choice for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: p3unit32

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
@ChrisXe,
I was an iPhone convert a little over a year ago and had the keyboard woes too. If you try Smart Keyboard or iTap Keyboard, they both have iPhone skins and tons of options and can get you pretty close. If you want a good Android stock type keyboard, "ICS Keyboard Full" is very good too and has the best prediction of any keyboard I've used including IOS.

And I didn't even mention in my posts not liking the keyboard because I don't even try the stock crap myself. IMHO, when you buy an Android phone you get a blank slate with a few samples of the OEMs proprietary crap. Some people are happy with it but most go about their business and customize the OS to their specific liking. Kinda like the sample music and pics on a new PC. First thing you do is delete them and put your own in there! ;)

BTW, how did you end up quoting an almost 4 year old post from Dieter in your reply above? Never seen that one before...

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I use the ics keyboard and never had an issue. I personally hate the iPhone keyboard. To small. But with android if you don't like it then change it. With the iPhone you just have time live with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Haha you know I quoted the wrong post lol. I was doing this from my SIII and still not used to the Android Central App.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jontalk and I love your Max Headroom avatar btw :) Well I'm an IT Manager by day and tech geek by night as my wife likes to lovingly remind me :p I spent the last month and a half or so since they announced the S3 reading up on the device and Android in general. Obviously there's a lot to take in so it's easier to start with specific tasks and apps that you already use day-to-day and read up on how they're done and if they're available on Android. Lurking on Android forums helped a lot of course, and finally there's nothing like reading the manual which I must say is quite good. Here's the AT&T version of the S3 User Manual for you. They've also got the following helpful pages:

Galaxy S III Starter Guide
Tips & Tricks: Galaxy S III

It probably also helps to spend a few days just to get accustomed to the included Samsung & Androids apps and the TouchWiz UI, and if you find something isn't quite up to your liking then start looking for apps that'll give you the functionality/features you're looking for. And when in doubt, these and other Android community forums are a great resource full of
helpful people so if you search and don't find an answer start a new thread and you'll get

lots of helpful feedback!

Best of luck to you with your transition :)
Farcrow
your posts are awesome! I'm moving from A Sick Atrix2 that's been nothing but trouble. Wanted to ask you a couple quick things. I read something about signal fallback..for instance if your on LTE and it downgrades to 3g it will not revert back to LTE automatically. I think they we referring to the OneX not the S-3.
How are the radios.especially the wifi range? The Atrix2 has huge issues with wifi and data connectivity. Hows the S-3 doing with this all? I'm trying to avoid another disaster as I have with the Atrix.
Lastly the display and audio. I was looking at the OneX, I have a friend in Brittan who does reviews. She said the S-3 is much louder, unfortunately I have sensory hearing deficit, so volume and audio quality is.important. any comment you can make on the.display as well would be apprciated as well-
Thank you in advance-
Larry

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I use the ics keyboard and never had an issue. I personally hate the iPhone keyboard. To small. But with android if you don't like it then change it. With the iPhone you just have time live with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have a galaxy nexus with which I have had not an issue with the keyboard. It is specifically the keyboard on this phone. Hell, even the keyboard on the One X is total crap but still better that on the S III.

p3unit32

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I agree about the keyboard. The built in Samsung one was horrible. I've downloaded swiftkey3, and Swype beta and both are tolerable but not on the level of the iPhone. Maybe because I'm.New to the phone but the predictability just isn't on par with iOS. Granted I wad able to.fix this problem I hated how after every press of the spacebar the keyboard tried to guess my next word.

As far as a good music player, double twist has been ok but agreed there seems to be no lock screen support. Nothing as fluid as the iPhone/iTunes but I think Apple dominates the portable music market for a reason.

Overall there are some minor grievances for a diehard Apple geek giving Android a fair shot. Whenever I use my iPad I realize just how well something as simple as cut and paste works in iOS compared to Android.

However I dont think anyone should go into a new platform blindly and you should always do your homework first. But all in all my experience has been a pleasant one. I definitely like the customization of Android. The maturity of this platform coupled with the incredible hardware of the Galaxy SIII make this a great choice for me.

This post was definitely beneficial to me, seeing I currently have a iPhone 4S, and thinking about buying a GNEX, or a Galaxy S3. These are things I need to hear. Even thought I will gain LTE capabilities and customization options, there will be some caveats.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
This post was definitely beneficial to me, seeing I currently have a iPhone 4S, and thinking about buying a GNEX, or a Galaxy S3. These are things I need to hear. Even thought I will gain LTE capabilities and customization options, there will be some caveats.

It's a learning process, but so far my overall experience has been a good one. LTE is blazing fast, and the screen is absolutely gorgeous. All of the limitations with software will get fixed as I become more acclimated to the OS.
After rereading my post you can see some of the spelling mistakes, and unwanted periods that were placed due to the bugginess of the keyboard. Otherwise, ask question, and do your research the switch hasn't been too bad for me, and I'm looking forward to the eventual Jelly Bean release.

acsef

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I have two issues with the S III so far. First, the screen. Coming from an iPhone, I love that the screen is bigger but I feel like it's a little too big (unless I'm just not used to it yet) and I feel like the iPhone's screen was crisper. Second, the battery has been draining about twice as fast as my iPhone while doing simple things like checking twitter. I'll see if these two things change in the next few days, but that's where I'm at now.

Edit: after a more use, the screen is fine and battery gets me through the day but not as comfortably as my iPhone. Liking the phone overall though.

Last edited:

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm.. I don't get all this about the iP keyboard frankly..Of course I have an iP3G and absolutely HATE the keyboard whether portrait or landscape. Its one of many pet peeves I have with this dinky device (not to mention its slow as hell). Went to the ATT store to play with the S3 and compared it to the Skyrocket for giggles and I was amazed how fast it is. However, during an S Voice test if failed miserably. One can only hope that sometime soon, it will get the 4.1 JB update with the amazing Google Voice Search that's all the buzz now. Now that would make this phone the best thing going!

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Try Swype Beta...it's free and has long been my favorite keyboard (with SwiftKey 3 a close second).

Swype | Text Input for Screens

Reactions: FARCrow

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've always wondered if Swype causes one to not maintain good spelling practices? Just curious; I've never tried it. I'm a SwiftKey 3 guy :)

FARCrow

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I always thought swiping keyboards were a gimmick (I've only used Swiftkey 3 so far) but I just downloaded the Swype Beta (after reading about it in this thread) and trying it out now and this thing actually works (even with Arabic)! Will see how I do with it over the next couple of days but I'm already loving the swype gesture shortcuts for select all, copy, paste, etc.