anyone else a bit skeptic about some 4.3 "improvements"

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well , I was reading through the new features in 4.3 and the new feature of how some apps can now access data/location even when WiFi is off... Can the benefits outweigh the possible privacy breach or am I just not getting the full story... Am I the only one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Its nothing sinister. Google has a map of WiFi networks across the country, and since your average WiFi routers range is 50 or so feet by seeing networks are visible Google can triangulate your position to within a couple feet (versus GPS, which is 10 yards or so.)

Problem is a lot of people turn WiFi off to save battery, so navigation and location specific apps are less precise. Google created a way to monitor WiFi with very minimal battery usage so you can locate yourself without having the WiFi radio fully up and running all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The purpose of that is to use much less battery power to retrieve more accurate information. You can turn that setting off if it bugs you, but it is definitely an improvement.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The purpose of that is to use much less battery power to retrieve more accurate information. You can turn that setting off if it bugs you, but it is definitely an improvement.

To someone like me that only has a WiFi based tablet what's the benefit to me or someone that never uses WiFi and solely relies on mobile data

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I read what you said and I understand, but Im saying I always have WiFi on will It also help with battery consumption while it's on?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I read what you said and I understand, but Im saying I always have WiFi on will It also help with battery consumption while it's on?

No. The point is that when you turn WiFi off, Android can still use fine location features. If Wi-Fi is on, the feature isn't used.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If you keep WiFi on, the change makes no difference to you. If you keep WiFi off, it just adds the option (you can turn it off in your Settings) to still use WiFi for location services.

Stevie Ramone

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Probably not, but for those of us who use things like JuiceDefender or other battery management apps which automatically turns Wi-Fi, or just make a choice to have it switched off, it helps immensely, especially with location-sensitive apps like Saga or Runkeeper.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX