Anyone else bail on the pixel launcher?

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Long time Google Now Launcher fan :) So when my GS Preorder finally ships and arrives :p I will probably stick with the Pixel Launcher :)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm usually a heavy Nova Launcher user. I put it on every phone I get, even Nexus phones. It's a credit to the Pixel launcher that I'm still using it, and I think I may like it better than Nova right now. I liked the Google now launcher in the past, but hated the persistent google search bar across the top of the screen. With the on-screen nav buttons, the search bar robbed even more space.

I usually have a weather widget of some kind on my home screens and now that the stock launcher has it, I like it. I also like the new look of the minimized search button. It all just looks much better to me vs. the previous way, and it's only on the homescreen. I know a lot of the look can be mimicked on Nova launcher, but it's not the same, I've already tried it.

I only wish they would fix the weather widget to work more consistently.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just can't get past all the white backgrounds in the stock launcher. So a blinding, bright, stark white folder background or app drawer background with no option to change it is "Pure Android"? That annoyance is the first thing I get rid of. 3rd party launchers are just getting to damn good in all aspects to pass up.

Oh, and not being able to move/remove that google search bubble. Reminds me of the google search bar that couldn't be removed either. And White! Yikes! They tout how wonderful the full color hi res screen displays are then give us white.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I just can't get past all the white backgrounds in the stock launcher. So a blinding, bright, stark white folder background or app drawer background with no option to change it is "Pure Android"? That annoyance is the first thing I get rid of. 3rd party launchers are just getting to damn good in all aspects to pass up.

Oh, and not being able to move/remove that google search bubble. Reminds me of the google search bar that couldn't be removed either. And White! Yikes! They tout how wonderful the full color hi res screen displays are then give us white.

I agree. Need a dark mode. To much white.

Octo Man

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I agree. Need a dark mode. To much white.
Why doesn't google have dark colored backgrounds for their apps? I like their messenger app but hate the white background, it is blinding in the dark when you are checking messages or wanting to change settings in their settings menu.

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking I'll put oval on instantly but I may try the stock launcher this time. I set up my nova the same way since hmm probably nex 4

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I used the Pixel launcher for the first day, but switched back to Nova. I just couldn't quite get used to the stock launcher. I'm sure if I used it for a week or so it would become second nature. However, old habits are hard to break I guess.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have my Nova Launcher Prime set up the way I like it on my Note 7. I will put it on my Pixel when it arrives.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Come on it's Android. Who sticks with the stock Launcher. :)
Lol. Agreed and I usually switch to Nova right away but I am still using the Pixel launcher three days later. Odds are I will go back to Nova. I always do, but I do like the Pixel launcher as well. We will see.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Here is the thing - just with the launcher you can get things pretty much how you want. But all the stock apps are still stark white and eye-searing.

I would not mind even a custom ROM that kept all functionality of the base code with just a dark background (and subsequently light text of course). I'm sure it's easier said than done.

Heck, maybe I'll make my own ROM with just a dark tone to it.

Regardless of whether you like the bright lights of Material design, or you like the Stealth dark look, if indeed some pure black backgrounds could be implemented into the stock apps, battery life could be improved. That is a bonus of using pure black backgrounds on AMOLED screens. A pure black pixel is essentially off.

If no one creates a dark theme, I may actually try to build a ROM that uses pure black backgrounds.