Anyone get assistant yet?

nyc

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I read it's coming this week to the GS7. Anyone see it yet? Does it just show up or do you get a notification to download?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It's supposed to be rolled out in an update to Google Play Services (or Connectivity Services?). So there may be no notification at all.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Assuming it is an unannounced update or part of one of those "X-many apps updated" Play Store notifications that you swipe away without thinking, how will we know when/if the GA is enabled on our phone? Is there a specific Settings card for it on the Pixels?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Came here to ask the same thing. I'm pretty sure I saw that it was coming as an update to the Google app. So be on the lookout for an app update. Currently no update on my Nexus 6P.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Turns out, you may already have the assistant. Make sure you've got voice recognition turned on, and your phone responds to your saying "OK Google." I was getting a notification in Settings to record my voice, which I'd already done, but I guess it got canceled somehow. At any rate, after I recorded my voice again and tried it out on my Nexus 6, up popped the Assistant. None of the snazzy home button animations or anything, but it took down a reminder for me and answered a few dumb questions.

For now, on my phone, the assistant still seems to be tethered to Screen search. Long-pressing the Home button still only brings up Screen search options; the assistant only arrives in response to an "OK Google." I don't know if this is a Nexus 6 limitation or just a halfway point in prepping for the actual update.

[PS] The reminder--to buy Advil when I was at a specific supermarket--worked.

Last edited:

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Still waiting on it for my 6p. I got the Google app update but no change to google now, so there must be some switch they have to flip on their end.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I probably should have answered here but I got it.

I have a ZTE Zmax Pro (2GB RAM and 6.0.1 Marshmallow, MetroPCS)

Runs great so far. I did not know I had to long press the home button (Google Now on Tap) to set up Assistant. Now, Assistant replaces Now on Tap as well as OK Google.