Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

There are more droids in my family than iphones thanks to the ability for the tech-illiterate to walk into a verizon store. I (very much to my dismay) bet Motorola will do better with a deep and thick carrier partnership than they will having a few tech enthusiasts buy on their website.

We are the minority.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Your decision on buying a phone is based on if it sells as many as an iPhone?

No. I'm equating importance OS updates to the general buying public and sales of smartphones that are regularly updated.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

I had a great run with Moto from a bionic, 2013 x and a pure edition but I've finally (finally for me anyway)moved to a Nexus and already gotten a security update and am on the newest Android (pure was on 6.0 when I sold it). I loved Moto for a long time but it's time for me to move on. Software and updates are king for me and I don't see Moto doing better on updates than the two the pure edition has gotten. Then, I just can't stand super thin phones, the tiny battery is a turn off, the weird camera looks atrocious, I don't dig the placement of the fingerprint sensor nor do I like the looks of it plus the software keys right there, and finally I'm not interested in all the modules. Maybe fun for some, but not for all. So it's Nexus for this guy.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Most likely not - I have my eyes on Nexus and whatever else LG decided to pop out in the next year or so.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

No. I'm equating importance OS updates to the general buying public and sales of smartphones that are regularly updated.

The population that bases decisions on security updates is like ... Me, Jerry, .... can't think of the rest, but probably someone from XDA? We're freaking loud, but we're definitely a minority.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Assassin Droid,
If you've ever had a new phone and all of a sudden you're faced with the battery draining extremely fast, the phone not working and/or the phone restarting every minute, updates are pretty important. A new phone like this one with all the additional lines of code needed to make special hardware like the Mods work I'm sure is going to have more then a few problems. Go in the forums and see all the issues the G5 users are having right now.

So when Moto and Verizon both known to be the slowest to deal with these issues release a buggy phone, it creates another layer of problems.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Assassin Droid,
If you've ever had a new phone and all of a sudden you're faced with the battery draining extremely fast, the phone not working and/or the phone restarting every minute, updates are pretty important. A new phone like this one with all the additional lines of code needed to make special hardware like the Mods work I'm sure is going to have more then a few problems. Go in the forums and see all the issues the G5 users are having right now.

So when Moto and Verizon both known to be the slowest to deal with these issues release a buggy phone, it creates another layer of problems.

I don't disagree - software updates are very important to me (if that wasn't clear in my post) and so are security updates. That's why I'm on Nexus honestly. But I don't think they're that important to most average users.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Security updates should be important.

But I don't think the general Android buying public cares too much about that. If so, they would buy Nexus and BlackBerry devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Security updates should be important.

But I don't think the general Android buying public cares too much about that. If so, they would buy Nexus, and BlackBerry devices.

That's what I was trying to say also :)

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

I will own one of these. Not sure if it'll be the Moto Z or the Moto Z Force yet. I'm a Verizon customer so Verizon-exclusivity doesn't bother me though I would have preferred to have a model free of carrier bloat.

I like the switch back to AMOLED.

Battery size on the regular Moto Z doesn't bother me. I'm near chargers all the time. I bought extra batteries when I bought phones that had removable batteries so I'll likely buy the Incipio offGrid Motomod. Now I won't have to shut the phone down to do it. And won't have a cord dangling from an external battery pack. Also - can the battery pack be charged wirelessly without being attached to the phone?

Software updates? That's long gone from Motorola. It isn't bothering me on my Moto X Pure Edition. I get it. I'm not mad about it. If it was that important to me, I'd be on a Nexus. And I'm not.

Curious about the 21MP shooter. Is it the same as the third gen Moto X but with OIS? Since the third gen Moto X, I have no complaints about the cameras Moto uses.

Fingerprint Sensor on the front? Desk job makes me like that placement vs. the rear. Plus a rear FPS wouldn't have worked with Motomods - unless there was an FPS/NFC module.

Motomods: I can see myself having multiple Style Shells and actually kind of love that I wouldn't be stuck with my initial Motomaker design now. As mentioned above, I'll probably have the battery pack. If the sound quality from the single speaker is as good as the speakers on my third gen, I probably won't need the JBL Motomod. I'm curious if the camera Motomod makes it out because I can see myself getting that one for trips and events.

This is Motorola all the way. The spirit of the company that invented the cell phone is still there. They're still out there trying. This is the same company that made the DynaTAC and StarTAC and the RAZR. There was a Motorola T720 that had a modular camera add-on. This is the same Motorola that gets crazy with design like the Aura. This is the same Motorola that added Webtop and Lapdocks to the Atrix and DROID BIONIC. Project Ara? Google kept that when they sold Motorola to Lenovo. This modular thing was only a matter of time.

Surely surely surely you work for moto right?

Posted via the Android Central App

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

So anyone who disagrees with you must work for Motorola?

There's a difference between disagreeing and being a surrogate or an evangelist.

Just re-read the last paragraph:
This is Motorola all the way. The spirit of the company that invented the cell phone is still there. They're still out there trying. This is the same company that made the DynaTAC and StarTAC and the RAZR. There was a Motorola T720 that had a modular camera add-on. This is the same Motorola that gets crazy with design like the Aura. This is the same Motorola that added Webtop and Lapdocks to the Atrix and DROID BIONIC. Project Ara? Google kept that when they sold Motorola to Lenovo. This modular thing was only a matter of time.