Anyone go from an S10plus to the S24plus directly?

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I kill processes I don't use often but I'm at the point with my S10 plus where I need to consider replacing the battery or replacing the phone.

I was curious if anyone recently made the jump from the S10plus to the S24 plus. Did you notice much of a difference in battery life - in hours or days?

Anything else you like or miss?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I saw your post earlier and wasn't sure if you would have a reply before I was able to respond. While I didn't go from the S10 to S24 directly your post sparked a few questions and maybe some advice.

Why do you feel the need to try and shutdown background apps? Are you doing this manually or with an app?

Since before the S10 Android has been optimizing battery and system performance without closing apps. Actually closing apps may cause more battery use and poorer performance. I know it sounds counter intuitive but closing apps when there is no need for them to be closed causes the system to just reopen them or draw more resources to open something that should not have been closed. Using an to do this can actually magnify this effect by drawing down the battery even more, as the app closes items only to have the system reopen them and then the app to close them again, drawing power not in the app being active a lot looking for things to close, but computing power to open those items again. If you really feel that you're seeing shorter battery life perhaps we can help you resolve the issue that is drawing down your battery. There are also a ton of guides online that have advice for extending your battery life. Good ones will not advise you to always be killing background apps or tell you to install app killers/battery savers.

If you're still interested in upgrading, and I really wouldn't blame you, who doesn't love a new device, there are plenty of comparison videos on YouTube that compare the S24's battery life to any and just about every device you can think of. Here is one specifically answering this question.

My advice would be, unless you're set on getting a replacement, that you try one of the online guides for improving your battery life. I would also stop closing apps manually and/or uninstall any automated app that does this. Finally begin restarting your device regularly, maybe once a week or every week and a half at least, because this is healthy for your device and can improve battery life by allowing your device to naturally take care of conflicts the way it was designed to.

Let us know what you find.

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

THanks for replying - I use appshut but then I also go in with the three bars and close things every other day just because i'm trying to get more battery life. I talk on my phone (it is my work number) about 3-4 hours a day. I use a BT headset during that time. I have wifi turned off.

Thanks for the input - it might just be that my battery is shot - 5 years is a long time and a lot of recharges.

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I did find one reviewer the TheUnlockr who reviewe each phone individually I'd guess he'd use similar brightness on the screen for both - s10plus 2% battery remaining from 100% 4.75 hours of screen time. (not much other activity) S24plus 19% remaining screen time 5.75 hours of screen time. So wildly roughly estimating I'd say 20% longer battery life when new.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah battery savers/app killers tend to be battery killers from what I've seen. They run nearly all of the time which in itself can drain a battery, then they close things that need to be open or cause big draws ramping up the CPU to restart things which creates both heat and a battery draw. Curious when was the last time you went a week without this app? If you're set on replacing the device it couldn't hurt just to see what the difference is with it disabled or uninstalled for a bit. I mean just for S&G, Science and Graffiti.

Keep in mind, you should take any performance reviews with a grain of salt, especially ones for battery life. Not only does everyone use their device differently making it a giant variable but the age and health of the battery is a variable in and of itself. So you're correct the age of the battery plays a part but to be honest from the way you describe your use it seems like you would be getting pretty good battery life. You use BT for sound which is a saver not driving phone speakers, you have WiFi off most of the time which is another consumer, and if you're in a strong signal area, where your device isn't searching for a signal constantly, you've wiped out 3 of 5 battery hitters. However, if you're not playing games or scrolling YouTube, Insta, or TicTok 24/7 I would think you'd be pretty good.

With you being as concerned about your battery life as you are, have you ever gone in and looked to see where your app killer comes in for battery use? On the S10 I think it's called, Battery and Device Care, in your settings.

Let us know what you find.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Village_Idiot

Banned
Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I went from a Note 10+ to an S22 Ultra directly before jumping to the S24 Ultra. I noticed a signification battery improvement. I don't disable or remove anything with package disablers. You will see significant improvement if you swap your S10+ for an S24+.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Verosmod

Sep 17, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

THanks for replying - I use appshut but then I also go in with the three bars and close things every other day just because i'm trying to get more battery life. I talk on my phone (it is my work number) about 3-4 hours a day. I use a BT headset during that time. I have wifi turned off.

Thanks for the input - it might just be that my battery is shot - 5 years is a long time and a lot of recharges.
5 years with the same battery? wow poor thing

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jennimbo23