Anyone here Upgrading to Galaxy S6?

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't WAIT to pick up and S6 Edge! One question I was thinking about that I haven't seen posed: Can you still run custom launchers (i.e. Nova) but keep the functionality of the "Edge" (information stream, bedside clock, contacts, etc)? Not sure if anyone here might know the answer to that? If-so, thanks a bunch in advance!!!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't WAIT to pick up and S6 Edge! One question I was thinking about that I haven't seen posed: Can you still run custom launchers (i.e. Nova) but keep the functionality of the "Edge" (information stream, bedside clock, contacts, etc)? Not sure if anyone here might know the answer to that? If-so, thanks a bunch in advance!!!

At this point, we have no reason to suspect that third party launchers won't work. I will counter again to give the slimmed down UI and decreased Samsung bloat as well as themes a chance. In the past with so much bloat and a heavy, klunky UI, third party launchers were needed. Maybe not so much now. Different icon sets perhaps?

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
From what I have read, the edges on the S6 won't have any functionality unlike the Note Edge. On the S6 Edge the edges are for looks only. Not sure if that is true or not.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read, the edges on the S6 won't have any functionality unlike the Note Edge. On the S6 Edge the edges are for looks only. Not sure if that is true or not.

The GS6 note functionality seems more limited to notifications of email, calls or texts as wells as a clock and streaming news. Notifications can be assigned a specific color depending upon the contact. The edge can be changed to either side but the Note Edge fipunctionality is not otherwise present. It seems not worth the estimated $100 more than the GS6. If the novelty or aesthetics is important enought for that price, then the Edge might be for you.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
At this point, we have no reason to suspect that third party launchers won't work. I will counter again to give the slimmed down UI and decreased Samsung bloat as well as themes a chance. In the past with so much bloat and a heavy, klunky UI, third party launchers were needed. Maybe not so much now. Different icon sets perhaps?

Thanks JCP. I was just re-watching one of the review video reviews you posted from "MobileSyrup" and straight away at 12 seconds the Edge variant is not running a stock launcher (or it's one of the new themed launchers Samsung has loaded). You seeing the same thing ?

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks JCP. I was just re-watching one of the review video reviews you posted from "MobileSyrup" and straight away at 12 seconds the Edge variant is not running a stock launcher (or it's one of the new themed launchers Samsung has loaded). You seeing the same thing ?

Posted via the Android Central App

The theme, if I remember , is on top of the UI or TouchWiz. TouchWiz is more than a launcher and is more deeply integrated and shouldn't be confused with Nova which is just a third party launcher.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The theme, if I remember , is on top of the UI or TouchWiz. TouchWiz is more than a launcher and is more deeply integrated and shouldn't be confused with Nova which is just a third party launcher.

I gotcha. Will be fun to play around with the themes :)

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site

By the way, thanks for taking the time to post all those reviews. Here's the review I was referring to. Check out 46 seconds and hit "pause" . There are 7 icons in the Dock on the S6 Edge. I doubt this is a Touchwiz "skin"...Looks a lot like Nova or Apex....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmsN0zAbto

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I really shouldn't upgrade... because there is really nothing wrong with my S5.

But I will probably get it. It's just the price of it that is causing me pause. Not because I can't afford it... but because I am having a hard time logically parting with $400-$500 on contract for the version I want and need. I need and want the best camera available.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I really shouldn't upgrade... because there is really nothing wrong with my S5.

But I will probably get it. It's just the price of it that is causing me pause. Not because I can't afford it... but because I am having a hard time logically parting with $400-$500 on contract for the version I want and need. I need and want the best camera available.

There is something to be said for patience. I passed on the GS5 and am glad I waited. As far as cameras go, based upon what little we know, the GS6 camera, is one of the best out there and a huge improvement over past cameras in the Galaxy line.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Unless the TouchWIZ launcher lets you use a 5x5 grid, then no, there's no reason to give Samsung's stuff a chance. ;)

Nova just offers a lot more configurations options than ANY OEM launcher, particularly grid size and dock size.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Unless the TouchWIZ launcher lets you use a 5x5 grid, then no, there's no reason to give Samsung's stuff a chance. ;)

Nova just offers a lot more configurations options than ANY OEM launcher, particularly grid size and dock size.

I believe that one of the hands on videos shows the ability to change the grid configuration of the homescreens.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards