Anyone Switching Over to the Surface RT?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
So now that Microsoft has opened the preorder floodgates and has given us prices on the Surface RT, is anyone planning on ditching the N7 in favor of Microsoft's new slate? I probably won't, but just curious what everyone else thinks ($500 for 32gb is not such a bad deal, considering what you get).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

mmaestro

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Hell, no. The application support is just not there yet. I do think Microsoft has a shot, here, but I have Windows 8 on a couple of systems at home, and the marketplace for W8 apps is just a wasteland.
I am, however, intending to get a Dell XPS 12. Solid ultrabook that I can use in a pinch as a tablet. Given time, Windows RT may become worthwhile, but it's all about the apps, and they're just not there yet in Windows 8, and we have no idea how long it'll take for there to be enough quality ones, if Microsoft ever gets there.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The pricing doesn't look too bad, but I run Linux at home so Android fits nicely with that. At only double the price of the Nexus Seven for something with a 10.6" screen, however, I can see people heavily invested in the Microsoft infrastructure picking them up. It looks like a nice re-do of the Asus Transformer concept with the case/keyboard.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an Asus Zenbook Prime ultrabook that I bought a few days ago; I have a $15 windows 8 upgrade. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should return it for a touch screen ultrabook, though idk how useful that would be for me. I LOVE my zenbook.

ryamkajr

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I will be buying it in January, whent the "true" Windows 8 version comes out. The Nexus 7 was just a stop-gap measure for me, as I am strongly invested in the Windows platform for work and home. I am not an app-fiend and do not need a wide variety of apps. THe basic thigns that will be covered more/lses meet my needs.

Will be keeping the Nexus 7 for personal use or re-gifting to someone at Xmas.

MaddSkillz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The commercial for it is pretty cool... But that's about it.

Nexus fo life! Okay maybe not that long, but I really like my Nexus... Like, uhh lawt.

smithe68

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
No but, I will get a pro when it comes out. I need a new Windows machine to do the things I can't do with Android, and I prefer the tablet format over a laptop or desktop.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
MS' Surface's strength is running full blown Windows apps...e.g., MS Office, camera tethering apps, etc. This requires the non-RT version which will be a crazy $800 w/ a similar low-res display (HD tablets will be the norm this holiday season, so MS missed the boat on that one)-:

I would have picked up a non-RT surface if it were around $500...MS priced themselves out of the market IMHO.... :p

mjwalsh

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, I think the N7 and Surface are two very different systems with two different purposes. For me the N7 is a small and light, low cost and very portable solution primarily for fun (reading, music, videos, games, basic web) with some ability for general productivity when needed (email, calender, Evernote). The Surface is essentially to replace an ultrabook to be slightly easier to carry around and a bit cheaper, with a focus on productivity (full office apps, windows applications), however it doesn't have anywhere near the level of portability of the N7.

When I bought my original IPad I wanted it to do both purposes (portable for fun and useful for work) however the IPad is way too limited to run real programs and too large for easy carrying.

I settled on a Nexus 7 for fun and easy portability and a Macbook Air for heavy-duty work (with a windows partition of course!). Two different devices with two different purposes. I think the surface fits in the macbook air category but with lower specs and very limited hard drive space, I am not sure how successful it will be because of this. Looking forward to hearing reviews though.

Just my 2 cents!

mmaestro

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
MS' Surface's strength is running full blown Windows apps...e.g., MS Office, camera tethering apps, etc. This requires the non-RT version which will be a crazy $800 w/ a similar low-res display
??? Surface Pro was announced with a FHD (1080p) display. It's right there on the Surface product info page, and has been since the day it was announced. I don't know why this low-res myth keeps getting perpetuated. And it's an i5. Of course it's not going to be in the same price range as an iPad or Android tablet. A different beast entirely.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft did say the pro is meant to be competitive with ultrabooks

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
??? Surface Pro was announced with a FHD (1080p) display. It's right there on the Surface product info page, and has been since the day it was announced. I don't know why this low-res myth keeps getting perpetuated. And it's an i5. Of course it's not going to be in the same price range as an iPad or Android tablet. A different beast entirely.

The RT is not 1080p...that's why it's confusing...

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If I get a Microsoft tablet, it will be the Surface Pro. I'd like something like that to be able to write software on the go, and Visual Studio, scratch that, NO IDE will currently run on the RT. So, no, not the RT. And considering I already have an Ultrabook, I probably won't be getting a Windows tablet anyways as that is already as thin and light as their tablets, sans touchscreen. Couple the Ultrabook with my Nexus 7, and my mobile computing space is pretty well filled up.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nope Microsoft can keep their close minded way of thinking to themselves, I don't even use windows anymore just Ubuntu ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Not interested had a wp7 device and switched back to android. You do know that the rt devices cannot run any x86 software you need surface pro for that. The Only thing I want from them is office on android and that is coming soon.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You do know that the rt devices cannot run any x86 software you need surface pro for that.

That was a real disappointment to me. My workplace uses Juniper for remote access, and has only configured it for Windows users. I have a Windows XP virtual machine I maintain so I can dial in to work from home, but I have to schlep around a @#$#@ netbook if I want to go anywhere. I had briefly toyed with the idea of a Surface tablet as a remote-access solution, but not for the kind of coin they want for the non-RT version!