Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

ntfisher03

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I apologize if this has been answered before. I see it being discussed here, so I was hoping to get some clarification. I currently use an iPhone 4 on Verizon and am looking to ditch them for a Nexus 4 and Straight Talk. I don't live in a major metropolitan area, and my current 3G speeds from Verizon range between 1-2mbs. After checking coverage maps, AT&T has the best coverage for my area. However, I spend a lot of time in Metropolitan areas where T-Mobile has great coverage. My question is this: if I buy both SIMs from ST, can I change them at will depending on my area? Just pop in the card, set the APN settings, and go? Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Freak.A.Droid

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I apologize if this has been answered before. I see it being discussed here, so I was hoping to get some clarification. I currently use an iPhone 4 on Verizon and am looking to ditch them for a Nexus 4 and Straight Talk. I don't live in a major metropolitan area, and my current 3G speeds from Verizon range between 1-2mbs. After checking coverage maps, AT&T has the best coverage for my area. However, I spend a lot of time in Metropolitan areas where T-Mobile has great coverage. My question is this: if I buy both SIMs from ST, can I change them at will depending on my area? Just pop in the card, set the APN settings, and go? Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're using Straight Talk - you don't roam. Meaning, if you have a AT&T Compatible ST SIM then it only works on AT&T Coverage. Likewise with a T-Mo compatible one. So you would need to set the APN once you have the AT&T ST SIM, and also when you have the T-MO ST SIM in that would grant you coverage under each scenario. My experience is that the Phone will remember each APN and select it accordingly once you initially set the APN. Just make sure you delete the 'Native' APN for AT&T and T-Mo that will (more-than-likely) auto set itself the first time you put each Compatible SIM in. I realize that I may be a little confusing with my explanation but I hope you were able to follow what the logic is.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

If you're using Straight Talk - you don't roam. Meaning, if you have a AT&T Compatible ST SIM then it only works on AT&T Coverage. Likewise with a T-Mo compatible one. So you would need to set the APN once you have the AT&T ST SIM, and also when you have the T-MO ST SIM in that would grant you coverage under each scenario. My experience is that the Phone will remember each APN and select it accordingly once you initially set the APN. Just make sure you delete the 'Native' APN for AT&T and T-Mo that will (more-than-likely) auto set itself the first time you put each Compatible SIM in. I realize that I may be a little confusing with my explanation but I hope you were able to follow what the logic is.
The N4 will also remember the APN settings when you switch from one carrier's SIM to the other.

ntfisher03

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Thank you very much! I follow you. I'll simply have to set the APN settings manually for each card the first time, and should be good to go. Thanks again!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Straight Talk has a 2GB cap on data usage, where as Solavei has a 5GB cap.

Used 4.6GB on my One X with Straight Talk last month. The cap is when you adversely affect the network and not a set number.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

What are the Tmob APN settings we should be using? I can find the ATT ones all over the boards, but I'm not seeing the ones for T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

twcoll

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

Thank you very much! I follow you. I'll simply have to set the APN settings manually for each card the first time, and should be good to go. Thanks again!

However... I believe that each SIM card that you acquire would have its own phone number/account associated with it. Although it is simple to just exchange a SIM card and move from AT&T/T-Mobile, you would likely need to have to pay for two services and manage two different phone numbers which can be confusing for others trying to reach you (unless you are using Google Voice to manage your numbers.) I have not tested this personally since I do not have T-Mobile coverage in my area, but this is my understanding of how SIM cards work.

Last edited:

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

I've been using ST (AT&T SIM) for testing purposes. I'm a T-Mo Customer but when I am at my fathers house I have no service. Suffice it to say it works - although i am not thrilled with it. My experience is that I intermittently lose data connection; that is, there will be long periods of time that I receive no emails; miss Google Voice calls (Which is every call to my phone) Get voice mails although the phone never rang - receive an email though the phone never realized it. Never had this issue what-so-ever with my T-Mo SIM in place. Currently I am using this in My G-Nex as I am in Limbo on the Nexus 4 order. I may ask them to swap me out to a T-Mo SIM after My Nexus 4 arrives; If it works better on them then I will make the switch permanently even though I will not be able to use the phone at my dad's I'll still be able to save $.
This is an issue with all AT&T mvno's at the moment. Over the summer it was actually much worse. Head over to howardforums and you'll see tons of people with the same issue (although some people seem to not have any issues). I switched from H2O to straight talk in August simply because the issue seemed much less frequent on straight talk. Now that I have the Nexus 4 I picked up a Tmobile sim for it through straight talk and have yet to have a problem like before.

I'm switching over to ST this week for my wife and I with our new Nexus 4s. It's my first time on a GSM network ever and I've never had to use a SIM card before.

Can you just swap an AT&T ST SIM at anytime you want for a T-Mobile one? Or do you have to call customer service and go through activation steps?

You can get one of each (a Tmobile and AT&T) sim for straight talk and just call customer service anytime you want to switch networks. Unlike a lot of MVNO's straight talk actually has surprisingly decent customer service. I switch periodically when I need to and the swap usually takes less than 5 minutes through customer service and usually takes 5 to 15 minutes for the switch to take place after I hangup, although sometimes texts can take an hour or two to switch to the new sim.

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

for the guys using N4 on ST with a T-mo sim....are you able to get 42mbps data? If I can get everything I can with st I can with t-mo monthly for $5 cheaper, including the 42mbps data, then it's a no-brainer ;)

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

for the guys using N4 on ST with a T-mo sim....are you able to get 42mbps data? If I can get everything I can with st I can with t-mo monthly for $5 cheaper, including the 42mbps data, then it's a no-brainer ;)

Dunno what the theoretical max of HSPA+ 42Mbps is but I've personally seen speeds of 21Mbs down on a number of occasions and regularly get around 12-15Mbs around town. That's with a straight talk Tmobile sim.

sirrebral

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Straight Talk has a 2GB cap on data usage, where as Solavei has a 5GB cap.

Straight Talk does not have a specific "cap" on data usage. Instead, they restrict certain uses, and measure whether one violates the policy based on their usage pattern as compared to other subscribers. Here are the relevant excerpts from their terms and conditions of service:

"Straight Talk unlimited plans cannot be used for: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device?s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync.

"Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, discontinue providing connections to particular telephone numbers or types of Services used or called by you, terminate data connections and/or reduce data throughput speeds for customers whose usage, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers; (2) may be harmful, disruptive, or interfere with the Carrier?s network or Straight Talk or the Carrier?s ability to provide service to other customers; or (3) for any other reason in Straight Talk?s sole discretion."​

Stajdanley

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Probably a dumb question, but how are you guys doing speed tests on ST? My friend has ST with an AT&T sim and speed test sites are blocked, and speed test apps don't work.

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Dunno what the theoretical max of HSPA+ 42Mbps is but I've personally seen speeds of 21Mbs down on a number of occasions and regularly get around 12-15Mbs around town. That's with a straight talk Tmobile sim.

that's not too shabby. I get that regularly with my current sprint 4g service, so I can't complain about those speeds ;) thanks!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

When I tried Straight Talk I had issues where my data got throttled to the point of unusability and erroring out in the Speedtest app. For those of you have have Straight Talk now, does your data work at full speed 100% of the time?

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

Probably a dumb question, but how are you guys doing speed tests on ST? My friend has ST with an AT&T sim and speed test sites are blocked, and speed test apps don't work.

He doesn't have his apn settings set right. That is a common problem on all AT&T MVNO's with incorrect apn settings. They aren't blocked, they just error out.

85royals85

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Does ST warn you if they think you're being "harmful" or "disruptive"? My Sprint contract runs out in Feb and I was thinking of using a Nexus 4 on ST, but I would be cranky if they cut off my service because they felt I listened to too much Pandora or something. It would also limit where I could use the phone (T Mobile sucks here).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201