Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

WCAL_Thrasher

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

Probably a dumb question, but how are you guys doing speed tests on ST? My friend has ST with an AT&T sim and speed test sites are blocked, and speed test apps don't work.

I have the same issue. I can't use the Speedtest.net app to test download speeds. Ping will work and upload will sometimes work. Download speeds almost always show 1-9 kbps. I'm jumping to a T-Mobile Monthly 4G SIM next month.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

He doesn't have his apn settings set right. That is a common problem on all AT&T MVNO's with incorrect apn settings. They aren't blocked, they just error out.

Speed tests will work if you remove the proxy address from the APN settings. You don't need the proxy. Its purpose is to monitor connection types. Without it, StraightTalk can't block your use of SpeedTest.net for example.

WCAL_Thrasher

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

He doesn't have his apn settings set right. That is a common problem on all AT&T MVNO's with incorrect apn settings. They aren't blocked, they just error out.

Do you know the right APN settings? I've tried what ST suggested and several ones that I've found on the internet. None have worked. I keep getting bad results with everything I try on the AT&T ST SIM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

I use these (tried to link and it didn't work so I just copied them below).

Name: StraightTalk ATT
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for this, it does now allow me to run the SpeedTest app, 5.693kbps down and 415kbps up, single test in So. Cal.

One question, I don't have "APN type: default,supl,mms" set at the moment, what do these settings do?

lcuby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

I decided to do my own test and went and bought straight talk, I've been using for almost a month and I have not had any problems, I tried it on my HTC one X and now in the nexus 4 ... all good, APN settings are as required, still I have at&t on my HTC one X with LTE.... I'm just trying straight talk, it is true, you can not do the speed test, I will try deleting the proxy as suggested Insp_Gadget ....

Last edited:

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Question for ST / ATT users...

I will be leaving sprint and going to ST w/ att sim as soon as I can get my hands on a N4. So I have been doing research on ST and I understand that if you use too much data they will cancel your line. Have any of you ever been warned or cancelled? If yes, how much data did you use?

Also, I heard they dont allow you to roam does that mean you can use HSPA only or can you also use Edge?

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

Question for ST / ATT users...

I will be leaving sprint and going to ST w/ att sim as soon as I can get my hands on a N4. So I have been doing research on ST and I understand that if you use too much data they will cancel your line. Have any of you ever been warned or cancelled? If yes, how much data did you use?

Also, I heard they dont allow you to roam does that mean you can use HSPA only or can you also use Edge?

The no roaming has nothing to do with being able to drop to edge if that's all that's available etc. It means if you choose an AT&T straight talk sim, you are stuck with them even if you go into an area with no AT&T signal and great Tmobile coverage. Because you can't roam onto any other network. For me this isn't much of an issue as Tmobile and AT&T have fairly similar coverage where I am at. On the rare occasion that it does matter I call straight talk and switch the sim linked to my account as I have one for each network.

Last edited:

WaveRunnr

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm using ST on my Nexus 4 with an AT&T SIM and agree with what others have been saying about the data connection: it's not the fastest and it gives out sometimes with "Access Denied" errors. I found a free app in the Play Store called "Network Signal Info" that gives you a lot of great stats, including exactly what speeds you're connecting with.

A8kxbvhCcAEqv6k.png:large

Since I'm not a huge talker, I'm considering switching to Tmo's $30 plan: Unlimited web and text and 100 minutes talk.

Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

If it turns out I need unlimited minutes, they have a $50 plan for that, which is only $5 more than ST and I'm assuming includes roaming which ST doesn't.

Btw, for the person that suggested Solavei, you may want to do your homework next time before tossing out suggestions. I checked my IMEI and the Nexus 4 isn't supported on their network. And they sound like a Pyramid/Ponzi scheme when you read about their opportunities to make money.

life4eva

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm using ST on my Nexus 4 with an AT&T SIM and agree with what others have been saying about the data connection: it's not the fastest and it gives out sometimes with "Access Denied" errors. I found a free app in the Play Store called "Network Signal Info" that gives you a lot of great stats, including exactly what speeds you're connecting with.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8kxbvhCcAEqv6k.png:large

Since I'm not a huge talker, I'm considering switching to Tmo's $30 plan: Unlimited web and text and 100 minutes talk.

If it turns out I need unlimited minutes, they have a $50 plan for that, which is only $5 more than ST and I'm assuming includes roaming which ST doesn't.

Btw, for the person that suggested Solavei, you may want to do your homework next time before tossing out suggestions. I checked my IMEI and the Nexus 4 isn't supported on their network. And they sound like a Pyramid/Ponzi scheme when you read about their opportunities to make money.

T-mobile $50 plan is ONLY 100MB 4g, after that you are throttled down......

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I had ST for many months on my unlocked iPhone 4S & it worked fine. I'm trying tmobile's HSPA+ in Miami, FL area and so far it's fast but very spotty. ST just has a solid network signal, almost always had 5 bars with ST. With tmobile, as soon as I go into my house I drop from 3G to edge.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

T-Mob prepaid plans DON'T include roaming.
The Nexus just came out last week, Solavei probably hasn't updated their website yet, but plenty of people here are using the N4 on it.
The social/sign-up portion of Solavei is completely optional, you can use them as a regular MVNO without worrying about all that stuff.

Stajdanley

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

This worked for him and he is good to go now. Thanks for the info!

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

How many of you Straight Talk users have actually ported your number to straight talk and who is using Google Talk and FW your calls to Straight Talk?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How many of you Straight Talk users have actually ported your number to straight talk and who is using Google Talk and FW your calls to Straight Talk?

I ported my old Sprint number to Google Voice and have all calls routed to my Nexus (which has a StraightTalk AT&T-compatible SIM). By doing that I'll never have to port my number again if I should decide to switch carriers.

Also, by using an app called GV Integration, I can use the native text messaging app or GoSMS Pro. Works great. The only thing I lose is MMS (because Google Voice doesn't yet support that).

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Anybody from Verizon go straight talk/tmobile happy with the service?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I went to ST AT&T from Verizon. So far I'm liking it and not missing my LTE speeds. I still have my Verizon line but I'm probably going to get rid of it soon. Just tired of being tied to a carrier.

ml3000

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I switched to straight talk from Verizon. My wife is still on Verizon and I plan on moving her over as well. I have had major issues with GV intergration so I have just had to stop using it and use the normal GV app for text messages. Also, I have been having the weird data drops and have to reboot the phone in order to get data back. I have the APN settings loaded in as I could not get data without them. Anyone know whats causing this?

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I went to ST AT&T from Verizon. So far I'm liking it and not missing my LTE speeds. I still have my Verizon line but I'm probably going to get rid of it soon. Just tired of being tied to a carrier.

I feel the same way.. that's why I think I'm gonna make the jump when the nexus 4 is available but I think I'm gonna try tmobile a try first because they have the 42mbps in my area

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire