Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

Oh sorry i guess I miss understood your question. I would assume that the main carriers would reserve some bandwidth and speed for there own customers instead of giving all the benefits of their network to the discount MVNO's. Just my thoughts though.

hmm... now im curious. anyone else know?

dmowry

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Here's a series of consecutive Speed tests using AT&T Straight Talk compatible SIM in Columbus, OH. (Again, using a Galaxy Nexus Currently)

I'll upload a T-Mobile Speedtest when I get my Nexus 4 and/or my Micro to Sim adapter (Which ever occurs first)

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/3103/screenshot2012112503122.png

I was wondering if you could let me know what the apn settings you are running? I'm currently just waiting for my nexus 4 to arrive and then will activate with ST at&t sim. Thanks in advance.

Freak.A.Droid

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I was wondering if you could let me know what the apn settings you are running? I'm currently just waiting for my nexus 4 to arrive and then will activate with ST at&t sim. Thanks in advance.

FIELD SETTINGS
NAME straight talk
APN att.mvno
PROXY proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
PORT 80
MMSC http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS PROXY 66.209.11.33
MMS PORT 80

I alternately removed the PROXY URL - either/or works. I ditched the Straight Talk SIM (As T-Mobile Runs Way faster - see my Nexus 4 speed test post) and I already have a Post paid T-Mobile account (Old Plan - pretty cheap). I'll just do without service in BFE (My Hometown) - which is why I was toying with Straight Talk to begin with.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

I hope someone here can help me out with this...

I have been doing a little research into straight talk and from what I understand they throttle or kick you off after 2 to 3gb of data usage. I heard that if you buy an actual phone from straight talk instead of just ordering a sim card that they allow much more data usage before they throttle you.

So I thought... hmmm can i just get a phone from walmart that uses at&t and take the sim out and put it in a nexus 4? Also, can anyone confirm rather or not more data is allowed when you buy a phone instead of just the sim card?

TheMovieStar

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I've been testing StraightTalk vs T-Mobile for about a week in Philadelphia. StraightTalk (AT&T SIM) is giving me pretty reliable service although I can barely even get SpeedTest to give me a result. It seems that the app errors out almost every time I try it with the ST SIM. When I do get a result it's less than .1 Mbps.

With T-Mobile, my results have been between 7-10Mbps down and 3 up. I'm assuming it's the area, but the T-Mobile SIM has been way faster. Anyone else in the Philly area see any similar results?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

T-Mob prepaid plans DON'T include roaming.
The Nexus just came out last week, Solavei probably hasn't updated their website yet, but plenty of people here are using the N4 on it.
The social/sign-up portion of Solavei is completely optional, you can use them as a regular MVNO without worrying about all that stuff.
How does one use Solavei on Nexus 4, if they won't even let you order a SIM card without putting in the IMEI number? Let's assume that you didn't already have a Solavei SIM and that you're trying to sign up for a new account.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been testing StraightTalk vs T-Mobile for about a week in Philadelphia. StraightTalk (AT&T SIM) is giving me pretty reliable service although I can barely even get SpeedTest to give me a result. It seems that the app errors out almost every time I try it with the ST SIM. When I do get a result it's less than .1 Mbps.

With T-Mobile, my results have been between 7-10Mbps down and 3 up. I'm assuming it's the area, but the T-Mobile SIM has been way faster. Anyone else in the Philly area see any similar results?

If you remove the info on line three of your APN settings, the proxy, then speed test works great.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

castroyy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have mixed feelings so far about S-talk. I have been using them for 2-3 weeks now. While their cell coverage has been decent my data speeds have been less then stellar. I pretty much get 1-3 or 2-4 MB everywhere I go. I picked ST with an AT&T SIM as I have an AT&T Blackberry through work. I get awesome coverage / data speeds on that (10-15MB) at my house but with my N4 / ST-AT&T I am averaging 1-6. I have been reading that AT&T does not give ST priority on their towers. My Blackberry has full 4G bars at my house while my ST Nexus 4 barely has 2. They are both HSPA+ Phones so that was strange to me. I am also nervous about the data usage. At home and work I am usually on Wifi so that's not an issue however sometimes I can't find Wifi and that might be an issue. I shut of my Wifi on my phone last night because I was in a bad section of my house. This morning I came into work and I started up my Sirius stream. It cut off about 30 minutes into it because I think I forgot to turn back on my Wifi. The second I turned it back on the stream started again. I just don't understand how you advertise UNLIMITED but it actually isn't? It's not like it says Unlimited and then UP to 100MB a day in small writing.... But that's what it is so I have to learn to deal with it.....

I also ported my old Verizon number over to G-voice and I couldn't be happier with it. The only issue I have had so far is running into people and them asking if I got their text... And of course I say was it a picture text? And it always is!!!!! Now believe me it wouldn't be that hard to give out my ST number but some of my friends have a hard enough time figuring out which is my work and which is my cell number....The people that I text the most with all text my new ST number... I do like the G-Voice layout for texting. My only complaint is that I always delete my texts after reading / sending them. Ever since I got my Thunderbolt and it started texting the wrong people I have always done that.. For saftey reasons!!! The Problem with Google voice is that it can take a LONG time to replicate and some of the texts I have deleted still show up. I found that if you visit the Google Voice website and actually empty the trash folder it will remove them a little quicker... All in all it's not a big deal however the no MMS feature is really a ball buster.

I tried T-Mobile initially however where I live it was terrible coverage. I actually knew it ahead of time so it wasn't a total shock to me but I did want it to work out with T-Mobile very bad!! I might give them another shot after the first of the year and see how bad the coverage actually is compared to ST / AT&T

DizkoDan

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I started out with a t-mobile sim with the hopes of it working out for me. $30/mo would have been fantastic! Unfortunately, the coverage is just not very good in my area, and the building penetration is non-existant.

I got my ST at&t sim the other day, and so far it's been solid. Building penetration has been very good. In fact better in my office than my vzw phone (possibly repeaters). While I haven't done extensive testing yet, I do apear to have a fair to great signal whenever I look at my phone (using network signal info to check). Data speeds however, are not stellar. It fluctuates, but I've seen anything from 750k to 7mb down & 200k to 2mb up. That said, I'm content so far. We'll see how it plays out for a while.

-Dan

ColoradoSteve

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
.... The only issue I have had so far is running into people and them asking if I got their text... And of course I say was it a picture text? And it always is!!!!! Now believe me it wouldn't be that hard to give out my ST number but some of my friends have a hard enough time figuring out which is my work and which is my cell number....

**Note
This might only work for MMS from other sprint users... Not sure..

Here's how to get around that..

Google voice has an option now that says 'forward text message to my email' - click that.

Then - go into your gmail account and set up a new label - I called mine 'Picture Text'

Set up 2 filters:

First one is for all mail from txt.voice.google.com that has an attachment (there is a check box at the bottom of the first setup page).
On the second page - check to add it to the new label group you set up above.
Second one is for all mail from txt.voice.google.com AND in the "Has the words" field of the form where you create a filter, include this, punctuation and all:
-{has:attachment}

Send the second filter results to trash.

Once this is done - all sms messages will go straight to trash and be deleted in 30 days.
All picture texts will end up in your email inbox.

Not perfect, but not bad....

Last edited:

castroyy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Google voice has an option now that says 'forward text message to my email' - click that.

Then - go into your gmail account and set up a new label - I called mine 'Picture Text'

Set up 2 filters:

First one is for all mail from @txt.voice.google.com that has an attachment (there is a check box at the bottom of the first setup page).
Second one is for all mail from @txt.voice.google.com - send it to trash.

Once this is done - all sms messages will go straight to trash and be deleted in 30 days.

I have heard that the email options only work with Sprint users? I didn't think it was possible for users that were not on Sprint to get MMS messages at all?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Set up 2 filters:

First one is for all mail from @txt.voice.google.com that has an attachment (there is a check box at the bottom of the first setup page).
Second one is for all mail from @txt.voice.google.com - send it to trash.

Are you a Sprint user (or are the people that are sending you MMS)? If so, that's why it works. It's my understanding that only Sprint users can get/send MMS in this fashion. It's due to the integration option/agreement between Sprint and Google.

I'll have to try this to see if it works with a non-Sprint carrier. I have this setup in my GMail, but haven't tested it with receiving MMS.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I tried to do this. I'm on Verizon. I deassociated my phone with GV just in case. I sent a text only message from my VZW to my GV number using the regular text message app.. Came into GV and forwarded to email fine and deleted as expected from the rule. The MMS message never arrived. Have tried it three times now.

The messages are never delivered to GV or forwarded to my gmail account.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I tried to do this. I'm on Verizon. I deassociated my phone with GV just in case. I sent a text only message from my VZW to my GV number using the regular text message app.. Came into GV and forwarded to email fine and deleted as expected from the rule. The MMS message never arrived. Have tried it three times now.

The messages are never delivered to GV or forwarded to my gmail account.

That's what I figured would happen. The idea is great, but is only useful for Sprint users.

grayson73

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Straight Talk T-Mobile, Nexus 4. The Straight Talk card says to leave APN Type blank, but I've seen forums that say to put in values such as default,supl,mms,fota

Does anyone know what the valid APN Types are and whether they actually do anything?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Straight Talk T-Mobile, Nexus 4. The Straight Talk card says to leave APN Type blank, but I've seen forums that say to put in values such as default,supl,mms,fota

Does anyone know what the valid APN Types are and whether they actually do anything?

Don't mess with them if you're on T-Mobile, the sim card will preset everything properly. It's only AT+T folks who have to worry about it (and they don't need to worry about it anywhere NEAR the amount of handwringing that's going on here!)

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't mess with them if you're on T-Mobile, the sim card will preset everything properly. It's only AT+T folks who have to worry about it (and they don't need to worry about it anywhere NEAR the amount of handwringing that's going on here!)

Ok, I'm new to this GSM AT&T thing so I'mma ask you! :p

What do us AT&T ST users need to do?

I've heard so much stuff... remove the APN type, add the proxy/don't add the proxy, make a separate proxy for MMS, make a separate proxy for SMS...I don't know what to do anymore.. >:/

n4limbo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

It's not the same, ST does not have roaming included which tmobile does, I travel a lot so I need to roam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001