Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I do hope the buy out is for the better. Just hope it doesn't turn into something bad and Sprint completely goes under as a result.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I do hope the buy out is for the better. Just hope it doesn't turn into something bad and Sprint completely goes under as a result.

Given how much SoftBank is buying, I don't think they would let sprint go under. If anything, I could see them buying the rest of the company. Also, will sprint still be public? Taking it private could remove a lot of pressure.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this will also give an extra bump to push the LTE roll out faster. Naturally Sprint was looking for some return on new LTE device purchases and contracts renewed to start paying back some of the money spent. Having this new ownership might help fund the upgrade and push Sprint into some competitive markets with AT & T.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm know theim in Yorkville also I get anywhere from 3-6mb down in my house with about 9 being the high upload in my house. I my high is 18mb down. Not going to lie even with those speeds its a lot better than 3g on sprint I know that they will finish up work on my local tower tomorrow from what the sprint tech on the ticket team told me so hopefully I will start to see better speeds soon with more consistent coverage. And I'm really hoping this buy out doesn't jack with the only thing sprint has going for it in the plans I don't want any shared data crap or capped 3g

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this will also give an extra bump to push the LTE roll out faster. Naturally Sprint was looking for some return on new LTE device purchases and contracts renewed to start paying back some of the money spent. Having this new ownership might help fund the upgrade and push Sprint into some competitive markets with AT & T.

Yeah I think Soft Bank is in it for the long haul considering how much $ they have invested . From what I've read they want a NA presence and who better than Sprint, a company who has a large customer base, has LTE rolling out and has some pretty good potential if they can get themselves out this economic mess they're in.

As long as my bill doesn't go up, I can keep unlimited data, Sprint can keep rolling out LTE, and they can continue to offer cutting edge phones, I'm happy. Hell, since Soft Bank is a Japanese company maybe we'll finally see some of these really cool phones that never make it to the U.S. lol!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think Soft Bank is in it for the long haul considering how much $ they have invested . From what I've read they want a NA presence and who better than Sprint, a company who has a large customer base, has LTE rolling out and has some pretty good potential if they can get themselves out this economic mess they're in.

As long as my bill doesn't go up, I can keep unlimited data, Sprint can keep rolling out LTE, and they can continue to offer cutting edge phones, I'm happy. Hell, since Soft Bank is a Japanese company maybe we'll finally see some of these really cool phones that never make it to the U.S. lol!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Eh. Softbank never got the cutting edge phones. Those went to NTT DoCoMo and KDDI. That's one of the biggest reasons they bought Sprint, so they could get better phones. They have a couple good Sharp Aquos phones and the iPhone 5, but most of their phones are either low-spec or really old. The newest HTC device they have is the Desire HD, and most of their other Android phones are on Gingerbread. Really, I think the best feature they have that seems to be common across their whole lineup is waterproofing. I've been wondering why it's taking so long to get waterproofing on high-end phones. It's about time it happened more often.

Edit: Products | SoftBank

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Guess we'll just have to see what happens. But I think we're getting a bit off topic :)

Out here in Oak Brook at work I'm finally getting some whiffs of LTE over by Hamburger university and around the mall. It's kind of sporadic but I've been noticing it more and more since Monday. Kind of surprised Oak Brook isn't lit up yet with all the businesses, restauarants not to mention the mall.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Could be many of the towers in Oak Brook are in the hi rise buildings off 22nd street. Hotels, etc.... little more work getting equipment etc to those than simple towers located on ground level

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
In case anyone else is not seeing 4G where they are expecting to... My GS3 has been connecting to 4G in a few areas over the last couple week, but my wife's has not (even though Network Mode was set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO). So yesterday, I updated her PRL and Profile, and then rebooted. Finally it connected to 4G after that.

I have also observed the issue where my phone's clock jumps ahead an hour when connected to 4G. :)

BTW, I have caught a few glimpses of 4G in the last few days in the Loop, near Union Station. But it doesn't seem to be a very wide coverage area yet...

rpmorri#CB

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm across from Union Station...I work in the building across the street. Sometimes the 4G light will come on, but it won't stay on for long.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Downtown Lombard yesterday, right next to the train station and indoors.

uploadfromtaptalk1350496478830.jpg

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Right near Stratford square mall.

uta2e2um.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I was on my way home from work Friday night and picked up some great LTE action on the corner of Harlem and 26th street right by Morton West HS in Berwyn. I'm starting to get a pretty consistant LTE signal in Oak Park but when I get into my building the 4G signal almost disappears and I'm back on the lackluster 3G.

Still not a lot of LTE action in Oak Brook. Still getting some whiffs here and there, but nothing very strong yet.

Screenshot_2012-10-19-17-45-41.png

tdobynes

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Getting constant 4G near 63rd and Cottage Grove, but not near my job on 59th and Ashland, I will post a screen shot when I go back that way.

tdobynes

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
My 4G switches on anytime I cross over the Dan Ryan e-way going east all the way to the lake between 55th and 79th street

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I can say from first hand experience they are turning on more towers by the day. Just by my house alone they have powered up a mess of LTE coverage over the last few days.

Suggestion to everyone if download the Sensorly app from the Play Store and start using the route map feature as you drive around and it will map out and report in any 4g/LTE coverage you come across. I've been mapping all over by my house and its usually reported for all to see within an hour or less on the coverage map from within the application.

It's really starting to paint a picture on the coverage maps of LTE turning on everywhere, best part is its only going to get better as they continue to fill in the gaps as time goes by :)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.sensorly.viewer&token=vQxw8UGK

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigD