Question app keeps stopping

FAK

Jan 16, 2024
Visit site
I have an app that I use just about every day.
After the latest Android version it starts up and then quits 2 seconds later.
The developer of the app is not longer updating / supporting it.
I have contacted him and he confirmed the latest Android update was the problem.

Any workaround?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, if the developer isn't going to address the issue, there's not much you can do. You can hope that subsequent updates (either a monthly security patch or a Google Play system update) incidentally fix the issue.

Another thing to try is to uninstall all updates to Android System Webview (look it up in the Play Store, and click Uninstall there, which will only uninstall updates).

Reactions: J Dubbs

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, like mustang I was wondering what app it was. Like B. said if the app dev isn't helping or doing any more with the app replacing it may be the only work around.

Given the app isn't working for you anyway, I can think of one other thing to try but you might consider it risky. I've seen plenty of apps that are not compatible with newer Android versions in which case the Play Store will not offer them when searched from a device they are not compatible with, often not even displaying them in search results. I can come up with a dozen reasons for the app to be buggy after an update or glitch after one especially if it's heavily used. Let's do some basic stuff first.

Have you cleared the apps cache? You can do this manually from the app page in your settings. Settings>Applications>app x (we don't know the name)>Storage>Clear cache, you could also try clearing the app data but depending on the app you might lose other saved data, which isn't too bad if it's stored in the cloud or in an account associated with the app. So hold off on clearing the data for now.

What was the result? if it didn't work you might try clearing the device's Partition Cache. You don't tell us what device you have so specific instructions are not available. Usually this is done by turning on the device using some combination of button presses to enter the Bootloader, selecting clear partition or partition cache and restarting the phone. This will not cause you to lose anything but after a big update there can be stuff left here that causes bugs and issues. This isn't a bad idea after any big update and is a good idea if things are noticed to be wrong afterwards.

If both of those fail now would be the time to try clearing the app data. At this point you have little to lose. Following this you might try reinstalling the app. After clearing the data you've essentially started over with the app so uninstalling then reinstalling it just means that you have the most up to date and freshest version possible. Back to the risk I spoke of earlier, if the app truly is no longer compatible with the device it may not show up in search results making it difficult or impossible to reinstall. Which is why I put at the end of this list.

Best wishes.

Let us know what device you have and what the app is and we'll offer more advice.

FAK

Jan 16, 2024
Visit site
Hello All,

Thanks for taking the time to consider my problem and reply.

The app is called Wine Secretary, app version is 2.7.6. I haven't been able to find an earlier version. Nothing at APK mirror but 2.7.6 available elsewhere.

This is what the developer told me:

FYI here's the error message when I try to install the app on Android 14

Performing Streamed Install
adb: failed to install /Users/frank.harper/Downloads/wine-secretary-last-version-from-play-store.apk: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEPRECATED_SDK_VERSION: App package must target at least SDK version 23, but found 19]

So I suspect an earlier version is not the answer.

The developer has been very helpful with other issues with this app but, as noted, he no longer updates it and it is no longer available at the Google Play Store. Apparently it was not a commercial success and and it didn't make sense to keep supporting it.

If the app could be recompiled (and I don't know if that's the right term) with SDK version 23 would that fix the problem?

The other thing I was thinking about is running it in a virtual session (Android version 10 for example) but that is beyond my present abilities.

Thanks.

FK

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like a niche app so there likely isn't another like it. Then with it no longer being available on the Play Store that's rough too. The only thing I can think of would be to purchase an older device, an older tab even then getting it via an APK mirror or wherever you were able to find it. I've never seen or heard of a virtual Android machine. Not saying they don't exist but I know when my son did it there was a subscription and I struggle to imagine that for a singular app, unless it means that much to you. Old tabs are a dime a dozen on ebay and other second hand places. Just a thought.

FAK

Jan 16, 2024
Visit site
I'm running it now on my old Samsung phone which is "stuck" on Android ver 10.

It's only a bit inconvenient as I have to take both phones with me when I go wine shopping.

Was just hoping this was a common thing and there might be a known "work around".

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm running it now on my old Samsung phone which is "stuck" on Android ver 10.

It's only a bit inconvenient as I have to take both phones with me when I go wine shopping.

Was just hoping this was a common thing and there might be a known "work around".
I have checked few other sites besides APK mirror they don't have older versions , your workaround is older android unfortunately

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174