App notification sound keeps resetting to default sound

luckyluka1

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
Hello. I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 running Android 13. I have changed a few different apps notification sound to different preinstalled sounds and everything is fine except for one particular app. No matter how many times I change it, it keeps resetting back to the default sound. Since I only seem to have that problem with that particular app, I asked them. Of course, their response was "We are sorry, but we don't have that feature". Of course, help desk staff are never developer staff. Anyway, I was hoping somebody here has any great ideas on how to fix this issue. Besides changing phones, or not using that app or not changing the notification sound. Lol Thank you in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you tell us which app that is, so that someone here can test it out as well?

EDIT: Actually, no need to give us the name of the app, for privacy's sake.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell us the exact steps you're taking to change the notification tone? Does it actually change successfully such that you hear your custom tone for a notification at least once before it reverts back?

luckyluka1

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
Yes. It works for a while, not more than a day, but it works for a while after words. Then it switches back.
Like I changed it this morning and it just worked a minute ago. But sometime later today or tomorrow it will change back to the default notification sound.
Steps:
Settings
Apps
Choose app
Notifications
Notification Categories
[app name] (the top one) (The bottom doesn't have a ringtone selection in it)
Sound
Select whatever sound you want. I chose Old Camera

And I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing the app cache/data, then force stopping it. Then open it and sign back in, and see if the same thing happens.

luckyluka1

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
Ok, after doing that, then the notifications changed to Blocked. I selected that to change it to allow notifications. But now when I select Notification categories, I don't get the same options as before. There is no way of changing the notification sound now. It just says this happ hasn't sent you any notifications. Let me see if I can figure out a way to get a notification. Odd that you have to have received a notification in order to change the notifications sound. But I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: B. Diddy

luckyluka1

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
Ok, I finally got a notification. Of course it was reset to the default. I have changed to to the Old Camera again. We will see if it lasts this time.

luckyluka1

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
Well, it lasted two days this time before I had to change it again. But, knock on wood, it is still holding the change seven days later. WooHoo!! I don't know. It's working now. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm not satisfied because I could not duplicate the error at will. So, you know what that's like.
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: B. Diddy