Apple repairs are a rip off (YouTube video)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Saw that last night. He got a little free publicity, which is good for him.

I have seen quite a few of his videos, and they are very informative. The only downside, for me at least, is I am not that interested in doing board level repairs, so some of his longer videos get boring for me. I have found that about 30 minutes is my usual threshold, depending on what the video fixes. I could probably watch a longer one if he fixes 3 or 4 things in the span of an hour.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Not surprising. We live in a throw away society and most companies would rather you just buy a new one rather than try to repair. Back when I used to own iPhones, I broke my screen. I didn't want to pay the deductible so I ended up buying a screen and fixing it myself. This was an iPhone 4S. It was a total pain but with the help of YouTube, I repaired the screen and it was flawless. Since then, I've probably replaced about 10 to 15 iPhone screens ranging from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6S. I generally do it as a favor for friends. It is so easy to replace an iPhone 6 screen. I can do it in about 15 minutes. I haven't tried repairing a Samsung screen yet but I did replace a charging port on my sister's Galaxy S4 a few years ago. The screens are not easy to replace on the newer Galaxy models, unfortunately.

russ_andCent

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
I didn't watch the above video (I actually have likely already viewed it, as I'm subbed to Rossmann's YT channel) but he's published one video that shows someone being told by a "Genius Bar" tech that their mobo was bad and that the total cost of the repair would exceed $1200, it would only make sense to buy a new device. This person then has Rossmann have a look at it. He then proceeds to quickly repair a bent pin on one of the buses (under 5 minutes) and the device is as good as new.

I've always been rather ambivalent RE Apple. I get that many people want stuff that "just works" and the ability to customize, mix n match, etc aren't a big deal to them. But lately, with Apple being so anti "Right to Repair", refusing to sell even authorized service people parts, soldering in SSD drives in at the factory, it's really disconcerting.

I also find it troubling that Apple recently decided to buy back $100 billion of their own stock - what does that say?

Android certainly isn't issue-free but for me, it's not a difficult decision to stay on a 'droid.

mr glass

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
Apple is just looting their customers in the name of premium devices. Apple products are more likely E-prison's which you can't just get rid off. The Ecosystem of apple is designed in such way users can't get out of it. Many customers want to switch over to other devices(OS) but they are stuck because of their photos, contacts and all other stuff. But now we can see that apple sales are dropping in huge numbers every year. At last, now a lot of customers have released that apple products are not worth the price. In that video, he said it would cost around 1780$ or above to repair that mac. Holy cow man in that price you can buy two budget laptops. I agree that there are some features in their devices which others don't have but you just can't loot us for that Apple. That is so rude.

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Saw that recently. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in Apple. I mean yeah, I'll take Android over iOS any day, but I've always had a place in my heart for OS X, and how much less complicated my life is because of it. This, though...

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
I'm probably late to the party. I was blown away by that video, it blew my mind how bloody expensive it was just to bend a pin back in place. Rossman repaired his Macbook for free. That is just insane. It makes me glad I got out of the Apple prison when I did. I only used an iPhone 5 so I can't say what having one of the later models was like. Plus they take away stable features from their phones like the headphone jack and finger print censor. Like what kind of sense does that make? Meanwhile Android features phones that are both full screen, affordable, have expandable storage, and a headphone jack. What a concept. It's insane. In my opinion, Apple is robbing their costumers blind. I won't own another iPhone or use any other Crapple product if I can help it. Just my opinion.