Apps/Photos Won't Auto Update

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Set to WiFi only. They won't do it. Not sure if it's the 6 or Lollipop.

Is there a setting (like in HTC Sense) whereby my phone thinks my home WiFi is A Mobile Hotspot and won't auto update things over that network?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you talk about auto-updating apps, do you mean auto-updating the version when there's a version update available on Google Play? Or are you talking about apps automatically refreshing their data via the web?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
When you talk about auto-updating apps, do you mean auto-updating the version when there's a version update available on Google Play? Or are you talking about apps automatically refreshing their data via the web?

I mean auto updating when there is an update in Plat Store.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Open Play Store on your phone. Tap Menu -> Settings. What is the current setting for Auto-update apps?

Per my OP, set to update over WiFi only. Google apps seem to have a problem when things are set to update over WiFi only. It's very inconsistent, and they often simply won't do it. Setting to update over WiFi or cellular fixes the problem, but of course then there is the problem of burning data when not on WiFi.

Same problem with the Photos app. If set to sync over WiFi only, it seldom syncs, and when it does, it doesn't do it for hours. Setting to WiFi and cellular makes it sync immediately, but you can burn data.

So it reminds me of bug in HTC Sense whereby Sense thinks that all my WiFi hotspots are "mobile hotspots" and won't use them for auto updating stuff. Taking my networks out of the list of "mobile hotspots" fixes the issue. So the question is: does my Nexus think my networks are "mobile hotspots" that shouldn't be used for auto updating things, and if so, how do I turn that off.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Per my OP, set to update over WiFi only. Google apps seem to have a problem when things are set to update over WiFi only. It's very inconsistent, and they often simply won't do it. Setting to update over WiFi or cellular fixes the problem, but of course then there is the problem of burning data when not on WiFi.

I can only say that I have always used "Update over WiFi only" and it works fine for me with all apps, Google and non-Google. Works on my Nexus 6 just as it did on my Nexus 5 and my Nexus 4. My only suggestion would be Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Play Store -> Clear Cache and then the same for Google Play Services.

[edit]

PS: My photos sync just fine, also.

Last edited:

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I can only say that I have always used "Update over WiFi only" and it works fine for me with all apps, Google and non-Google. Works on my Nexus 6 just as it did on my Nexus 5 and my Nexus 4. My only suggestion would be Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Play Store -> Clear Cache and then the same for Google Play Services.

[edit]

PS: My photos sync just fine, also.

Grr. OK thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp