April Camera Update bug? - changing Zoom is no longer smooth (EDIT: appears to be present before April update too)

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm now on April Security no issues I found yet like explained.
That's interesting, as every video I've seen that shows the zooming function (pressing 3X or 10X) has it.

In some situations, it's quite subtle and the only observation is somewhat like a "micro-jitter" rather than a "filter" change. I find in lower light conditions, going from 1X to 10X, the "filter" change appearance is much more obvious.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's interesting, as every video I've seen that shows the zooming function (pressing 3X or 10X) has it.

In some situations, it's quite subtle and the only observation is somewhat like a "micro-jitter" rather than a "filter" change. I find in lower light conditions, going from 1X to 10X, the "filter" change appearance is much more obvious.
I'll continue testing and will update anything changes on my end.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm just testing on the S21 Ultra again, and I actually can see it most of the time now too - happens more often than not, but appears not as consistently as the S23 Ultra. Quite bizarre - it's almost like something my mind never (wanted to) observe over the last couple of years but it was present often. I just checked some video I took with the S21 Ultra from some months ago and this "issue" I described is definitely there.

I think a lot of the reason for it is that when zooming (eg. from 1X to 3X to 10X), you're technically using a completely different lens, so I suppose a "re-focusing" effect needs to occur. I'd say overall, the general animation of the zooming is actually smoother on the S23 Ultra than the S21 Ultra.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I also notice it. Before and after the April update. Going from 1x to 3x, the image 'jumps' to the right a bit, then from 3 to 10x, it jumps back to the left a bit again. interesting phenomenon as the 3x lens in on the other side relative to the 1x and 10x lenses. Definitely seems to be software related.

Reactions: mesocyclone30

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I also notice it. Before and after the April update. Going from 1x to 3x, the image 'jumps' to the right a bit, then from 3 to 10x, it jumps back to the left a bit again. interesting phenomenon as the 3x lens in on the other side relative to the 1x and 10x lenses. Definitely seems to be software related.
Yes that's a good way to describe it in many situations. It's quite bizarre though, as it's not always consistently reproduced, and seems to depend on lighting conditions, and what exactly the lens is zooming in on.

For example, in a relatively dark room, I've just tried zooming in on my desktop monitor (right on this forum which is obviously mostly words, lines, icons and background colours). Zooming in on certain parts of the webpage from 1x to 10x, or 3x to 10x, there isn't any of this "jumps" appearance.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that problem. worse in low light. i was zooming out with a train, using it for a train video for the first time and as it was changing lenses then it got blurry and had to refocus ruining my video . the S21 Plus i have doesn't have that problem with changing from 3x to 1 x. so i don't know why the S23 Ultra has this problem with going from 10x to 3x to 1x. It doesn't transition seamlessly like the 21 Plus. I think the software needs tweaked.

Yrral3215

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
So far I havent seen any difference in the pics or videos Ive taken. I only got the up-date this am, so not a lot to compare, but there is certainly no big improvement that easily seen.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm just testing on the S21 Ultra again, and I actually can see it most of the time now too - happens more often than not, but appears not as consistently as the S23 Ultra. Quite bizarre - it's almost like something my mind never (wanted to) observe over the last couple of years but it was present often. I just checked some video I took with the S21 Ultra from some months ago and this "issue" I described is definitely there.

I think a lot of the reason for it is that when zooming (eg. from 1X to 3X to 10X), you're technically using a completely different lens, so I suppose a "re-focusing" effect needs to occur. I'd say overall, the general animation of the zooming is actually smoother on the S23 Ultra than the S21 Ultra.
I've noticed this now it's like a focus issue for split second from 1 to 3

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed this now it's like a focus issue for split second from 1 to 3
Yes that's basically it. Zooming out doesn't seem to have this focus issue though, so makes me wonder if it can be fixed with a software update. However, considering the S21 Ultra is over 2 years old and still has this issue, I wouldn't hold my breath.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes that's basically it. Zooming out doesn't seem to have this focus issue though, so makes me wonder if it can be fixed with a software update. However, considering the S21 Ultra is over 2 years old and still has this issue, I wouldn't hold my breath.
I'm going test more on my Fold 4 and pixel 7 pro

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed since the April update that when zooming in (by pressing the shortcut buttons with eg. from 1X to 3X, or 3X to 10X), there is an obvious "jitter/jolt" just at the end of zooming? I can't remember it being like this prior to the update. Testing this on the S21 Ultra and S22 is all smooth without any of this "jitter/jolt" at the end of zooming. Interestingly, zooming out doesn't have this issue.

Can anyone with the April update confirm this also?

EDIT: I realised my initial description above is pretty poor - so I'll add this in this original post:
"...it's almost as if a "filter" is suddenly added on at the end of the zooming, thus giving this "jitter/jolt" appearance (often you can see this "filter" effect quite obviously when going to the 10x zoom). Again, I've just tested this on the S21 Ultra and S22, and both don't have this behaviour. This especially affects video recording when zooming in, as this "real-time filter effect" isn't pleasant to watch.
-I've seen numerous YouTube videos now (mostly before the April update, and at least one after) which confirm this behaviour, and I think must be present on all S23 (Ultra) devices."
I have also noticed that hitting the 3X or 10X zoom is jittery. It actually temporarily froze my camera and prevented me from taking some quick shots. I do believe this started happening after the April update. But I am using the S21+ on Verizon