Are LG Displays going to be ready for P3??

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I mean they will be ready but not the highest quality. Apple's quality bar for displays is higher than what Google would mandate, so don't see any reason display supply being an issue for Pixel 3. Google is going to use whatever LG can produce good or average or bad.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That article makes it sound like (to me) LG has had 'manufacturing difficulties' meeting Apple's quality standards. Apple ordering LG Display to do a third round of prototype testing suggests to me the first two rounds display quality wasn't good enough and they're trying to improve it with this third round. Sounds more like a QA/QC issue than a supply issue to me.

As for the supply for the Pixel 3, have to remember that the quantity Apple would require would be many millions more than what Google would require for the Pixel 3. Apple would sell more iPhones in launch weekend than Google would sell Pixel 3's in an entire year, so the demand for extremely high quality OLED from Apple would be very high. The demand for both quantity and quality is lower for Google.

So no, OLED supply from LG absolutely shouldn't be an issue with the Pixel 3. Quality would be what I question.

With the quality, I think LG's displays just simply aren't close to as good as Samsung's. I don't think we're going to see a magical upgrade in screen quality just in one year. It took Samsung multiple years for their AMOLED screens to get to where they are and I don't see LG somehow just matching that this year.

Fingers crossed Google go with Samsung displays for the Pixel 3 phones.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I mean they will be ready but not the highest quality. Apple's quality bar for displays is higher than what Google would mandate, so don't see any reason display supply being an issue for Pixel 3. Google is going to use whatever LG can produce good or average or bad.

I should have been clearer.. By "ready" I was thinking on the QA side. not so much inventory. With last fall's debacle in the press regarding some of the initial shipment issues with the panels on the 2XL, one would think Google is wanting to avoid another round of that and put more attention on QA. While Apple may press LG for a relative higher standard in display, I don't think Google actual wants a repeat of last fall when P3 is released.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
That article makes it sound like (to me) LG has had 'manufacturing difficulties' meeting Apple's quality standards. Apple ordering LG Display to do a third round of prototype testing suggests to me the first two rounds display quality wasn't good enough and they're trying to improve it with this third round. Sounds more like a QA/QC issue than a supply issue to me.

As for the supply for the Pixel 3, have to remember that the quantity Apple would require would be many millions more than what Google would require for the Pixel 3. Apple would sell more iPhones in launch weekend than Google would sell Pixel 3's in an entire year, so the demand for extremely high quality OLED from Apple would be very high. The demand for both quantity and quality is lower for Google.

So no, OLED supply from LG absolutely shouldn't be an issue with the Pixel 3. Quality would be what I question.

With the quality, I think LG's displays just simply aren't close to as good as Samsung's. I don't think we're going to see a magical upgrade in screen quality just in one year. It took Samsung multiple years for their AMOLED screens to get to where they are and I don't see LG somehow just matching that this year.

We read that article the same and I should have clarified that "being ready" was on the QA side.

While I don't like to spread rumor, from what I've read the issue with the 2017 2XL panel, initially at least, was related to LG's new manufacturing facility not being ready in time to meet production and LG had to fall back to an older manufacturing line.

My take from the 9to5 Mac article is that Apple needs and wants to use LG panels if possible. If for nothing else, but to garner a better negotiating position with Samsung. Google, I would think, would want the same.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Actually, now that I've had my coffee, could I ask a Mod to move this thread to Rumored Devices? Since this topic doesn't directly deal with the 2/2XL, it's probably more appropriate there.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't agree this is a good idea for Google. Most of the gripes with the Pixel 2 have surrounded the quality of the display. I don't personally have any issue with it, but it does have some issues that it make less desirable then the competition. I highly doubt that Google isn't well aware of this, it's been highly publicized. I would wage that it should be a priority of there's to see a higher quality product being manufactured for the Pixel 3.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree this is a good idea for Google. Most of the gripes with the Pixel 2 have surrounded the quality of the display. I don't personally have any issue with it, but it does have some issues that it make less desirable then the competition. I highly doubt that Google isn't well aware of this, it's been highly publicized. I would wage that it should be a priority of there's to see a higher quality product being manufactured for the Pixel 3.
Oh I definitely agree that it's not the best idea but Google has invested in LG displays and Apple going to probably use up majority Samsung OLED for it's iPhones. If LG doesn't step up Google is going to use them anyway but this time most likely with stricter tolerance levels. I don't have problem with my Pixel 2 XL as well but it's not the best compared to my iPhone X or when I used the S9+. It comes down to how much Google is working with LG to make sure it gets the display right this time. I'm pretty sure it'll be way better than Pixel 2 XL but by how much we have to see.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Google has invested in LG displays and Apple going to probably use up majority Samsung OLED for it's iPhones. If LG doesn't step up Google is going to use them anyway but this time most likely with stricter tolerance levels.

But wouldn't the same apply to Apple? I mean, they put $3B with LG to invest in their display manufacturing. Google "only" put in $800M. I would think that Apple would be the more interested company just from the size of their investment alone.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
But wouldn't the same apply to Apple? I mean, they put $3B with LG to invest in their display manufacturing. Google "only" put in $800M. I would think that Apple would be the more interested company just from the size of their investment alone.
Yes but that's just plan B for Apple, they want to move away from Samsung or diversify their supply partners. If LG doesn't meet their standards they will continue to use Samsung display until LG is up to Apple standards. For Apple iPhone is their bread and butter, they can't afford to screw up there. Will Google pay up to Samsung if LG displays are not up to mark? Is that's even an option for Google given that Apple and Samsung using up majority of the Samsung OLED on their own phones? Remember Pixel is not the main business for Google, I'm pretty sure they want to make the best device possible but IMO iPhone matters a lot for Apple than Pixel does to Google. So there is high chance Google may say ok to some stuff that Apple wouldn't say.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes but that's just plan B for Apple, they want to move away from Samsung or diversify their supply partners. If LG doesn't meet their standards they will continue to use Samsung display until LG is up to Apple standards. For Apple iPhone is their bread and butter, they can't afford to screw up there. Will Google pay up to Samsung if LG displays are not up to mark? Is that's even an option for Google given that Apple and Samsung using up majority of the Samsung OLED on their own phones? Remember Pixel is not the main business for Google, I'm pretty sure they want to make the best device possible but IMO iPhone matters a lot for Apple than Pixel does to Google. So there is high chance Google may say ok to some stuff that Apple wouldn't say.

Indeed. Good points for sure. Hardware isn't a primary business for Google, so I agree the level of priority isn't the same as it would be for Apple. If 4 million Pixels shipped in all of 2017 as it's been alleged, that's practically a rounding error for Apple. Definitely see your point.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Let's not kid ourselves....there are issues
with the current Samsung display as well ...on the Pixel 2 and the S9

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh I definitely agree that it's not the best idea but Google has invested in LG displays and Apple going to probably use up majority Samsung OLED for it's iPhones. If LG doesn't step up Google is going to use them anyway but this time most likely with stricter tolerance levels. I don't have problem with my Pixel 2 XL as well but it's not the best compared to my iPhone X or when I used the S9+. It comes down to how much Google is working with LG to make sure it gets the display right this time. I'm pretty sure it'll be way better than Pixel 2 XL but by how much we have to see.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what happens this year with the Pixel 3 screens. If Google will stick with LG, how much better will the screens be this year.

Samsung I'm guessing would be flat out supplying displays for their own Galaxy line of phones and for iPhones, so I don't think we'll see Google move to Samsung for their displays. I don't know if Samsung would have the capacity to supply more displays to other companies, unless it's not their newest, flagship screen.

I'm leaning towards Google sticking with LG again. I'm just hoping the screen this year is a substantial improvment.

Let's not kid ourselves....there are issues
with the current Samsung display as well ...on the Pixel 2 and the S9

Yeah, but compared to the number of issues on the Pixel 2 XL screen, it's not even close. I mean looking at a Pixel 2 XL screen to a Galaxy S8 or S9 screen side by side, you can tell immediately the P2XL screen is inferior quality. That's just a visual take, then when you look into it, you get the grain, black smear, black crush, blue tint, low brightness, poor image retention/possible early burn in etc. I mean, imo, it's just not an acceptable screen to be in a high-end flagship priced as high as it is.

LG need to step up, or Google needs to stop accepting low grade parts and move to someone else.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't think there is reason to believe LG won't come through with excellent displays. LG produces some of the best OLED TV's on the market right now. Google just needs to make sure that what LG is giving them isn't a second thought product.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is reason to believe LG won't come through with excellent displays. LG produces some of the best OLED TV's on the market right now. Google just needs to make sure that what LG is giving them isn't a second thought product.

LG were producing the best OLED TVs last year and the year before and we still got the Pixel 2 XL screen.

Not sure exactly what the issue was with the P2XL screens, whether they had QC/production issues or what, but LG really need to step it up this year. Google need much tighter tolerances for what screens they'll accept and LG need to really improve the screens they produce, otherwise two years in a row with mediocre screens could spell disaster for the Pixel line.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Good sign ..

"The first OLED screens from LG will be used in one model of the new iPhones slated for release this year, the people said. LG wants to supply all the screens for that Apple model, though it’s not clear it can yet achieve that, one of the people said. The shipment is subject to two layers of approval, the first of which is expected around July, the people said."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-get-second-supplier-for-oled-iphone-screens