May be heading back to Samsung from LG

MichaelRS

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
After eight years with LG, since the G4, I may be heading back to Samsung.

I don't know who the person is or the people are at LG who decide on which form factor to give their phones or who they ask about it, but it certainly wasn't me. I wonder if they do customer surveys or have focus groups.

All the LG people I know really loved the v40 and v50... especially the v50. THEN bam! Along comes the V60. Now of course it's a VERY good device. But a lot of people I know, including myself, are put off by its monstrous size..

However, my v40 recently went belly-up so I was in search of a new phone and of course I turn to LG. I was wavering on getting the V60 and then the Velvet came out. All set to run down to T-Mobile to get a velvet when I discovered they don't offer the dual screen through T-Mobile. But check this out...

Single sreen velvet at T-Mobile, $600 (ok, 588).
Single-screen V60 at T-Mobile $650.
Dual-screen V60 $700.

Now you would think that not only would T-Mobile carry the dual-screen Velvet, but it would only be $50 more than the single screen.
If you thought that you would be wrong.
You need to buy the single screen from T-Mobile for the $600 then you have to get the dual screen accessory from LG for $200.
That makes the dual-screen Velvet $800.

Yes the T-Mobile version of The Velvet has that MediaTek 1000c doohickey processor in it. Which is supposed to give it a little punch over the snapdragon 765. But I don't think that makes adding a dual screen to it worth $200 versus adding the dual screen to the V60 $50

On top of that, I think they made the Velvet a little too narrow and I'm not a big fan of that curved display edges.

So what phone fits my need better? The Samsung s20 FE.
Generally with less that 2mm difference it's the same size as the v40 with a nice flat screen and a bit of a punch up over the Velvet as far as performance goes.

LG should have just made whatever improvements they could have in the v50 and called THAT the V60. Yes the current V60 is a really great phone. But who told them the go that big I will never know.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The days of the elegantly small, unobtrusive, sensibly-designed, high-spec smartphone, from any manufacturer, are long-gone. Who told the manufacturers to stop making them, I don’t know; I suppose they just thought it would be a good idea for some reason or other, but I can’t imagine what the reason might be.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The days of the elegantly small, unobtrusive, sensibly-designed, high-spec smartphone, from any manufacturer, are long-gone. Who told the manufacturers to stop making them, I don’t know; I suppose they just thought it would be a good idea for some reason or other, but I can’t imagine what the reason might be.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Phones are getting monstrously large nowadays. I personally loved the V30, and almost got it when it débuted alongside the Google Pixel 2 line - but even *that* size made me hesitate.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My S10+ is the perfect size for me. I got a Samsung A21s for a friend and the size was monstrous for me. She loved it, but I found it far too big. I am keeping my S10+ for as long as I can. It has plenty of storage and is ceramic backed. Future phones this size will likely be plastic backed.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My S10+ is the perfect size for me. I got a Samsung A21s for a friend and the size was monstrous for me. She loved it, but I found it far too big. I am keeping my S10+ for as long as I can. It has plenty of storage and is ceramic backed. Future phones this size will likely be plastic backed.

Your ceramic backed phone is beautiful! I don't blame you for wanting to keep it for as long as possible. I'm in the same boat with my S10. I too liked the A21 but the size is definitely too big!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way as you do. I'm still very happy with my S10+.

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I fully understand your view that phones are getting too large. But for us folks over 60, big phones have been a huge benefit. Trust me, when you get my age, you will want a big phone. I have a Note 10+ and it's perfect. I bought an S20 for a backup device and I hardly ever use it because it's just too small. I can hardly read anything on it.
As for LG, the problem with them is simple marketing. (or lack of it). When I was buying my back up device, I looked at a V60 at the ATT store. They would sell me the phone, but I could not get the second screen through ATT. The rep said they had problems getting them and I would have to go through LG and it would be 2 months before I got the second screen. Horrible marketing on LG's part. If I could have picked up the phone and the second screen on the spot, LG would have sold a device. What happened was they lost a sale because of their ineptitude.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I fully understand your view that phones are getting too large. But for us folks over 60, big phones have been a huge benefit. Trust me, when you get my age, you will want a big phone. I have a Note 10+ and it's perfect. I bought an S20 for a backup device and I hardly ever use it because it's just too small. I can hardly read anything on it.
As for LG, the problem with them is simple marketing. (or lack of it). When I was buying my back up device, I looked at a V60 at the ATT store. They would sell me the phone, but I could not get the second screen through ATT. The rep said they had problems getting them and I would have to go through LG and it would be 2 months before I got the second screen. Horrible marketing on LG's part. If I could have picked up the phone and the second screen on the spot, LG would have sold a device. What happened was they lost a sale because of their ineptitude.

Big phones are definitely what many users want, and the marketing and advertising of "phablets" certainly proves that.

I also agree with you about LG's marketing. I have a soft spot for LG and have loved their phones since the LG G3 (LG G5 not so much) - but I think they would sell more product if they amped up their marketing/advertising. LG would hit the sweet spot for some users but I think some people don't even know to look for LG in the first place, because their advertising isn't as widespread as Samsung, Apple, etc. Very sad.