Are my charging issues due to my 6p's charging port or the battery?

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I purchased a "new other" Nexus 6p on eBay, really it was used but I realized that a little too late. Anyway, the 6p I bought was taking a very long time to charge. I thought that the charging issues were due to the fact that I didn't have the correct wall charger. I only received the charging cable but no type c wall charger. By the time I ordered the correct charger, I realized that wasn't the issue & by then it was to late to return the phone. I'm still hoping I can possibly resolve this issue by replacing the charging port or battery. Currently the phone takes 4 to 12 hours to charge, but doesn't seem to drain too fast. Now that I'm going through the details in this post (& kind of thinking out loud) I believe that there might be a problem with the charging port. Has anyone ever experienced this problem & if so how did you resolve it? Am I right for thinking my charging port is the issue or did I miss something regarding the battery? Thank you and I appreciate any possible feedback in advance. Happy new year everyone

P.S. I would recommend to anyone buying a phone on eBay to make sure they include the right wall charger. I almost never use eBay so that was my mistake, but I hope this helps others.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It could also be the cable. Can you tell us exactly which charger you purchased and, if possible, which cable?

Is the phone in a case? If so, are you certain that the cable is fully seating in the phone's port? Try the following both with and without the case:

Connect the charger and then go to Settings -> Battery. Does it say "Charging on AC" or "Charging on USB"?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
How "little too late" is it? Was the purchase covered under ebay money back gurantee? Was the listing description in any way NOT complete regarding what you were getting? Ebay return policy may protect you, or even paypal (180 days), depending on the conditions. Look hard at the options before thinking it's too late.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
To nahoku's point, if the phone was listed as "new" in the eBay listing and it was anything other than that, you have/had recourse to get money back.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you have a proper wall charger, then you are correct in that there are really only two options; the charging port/circuitry or the cable.

The cable, obviously, is the easiest to address. Get a new C-C charging cable... Benson Leung, a Google engineer, has a lot of information about cables and such... I don't have the link, but a quick Google search should point you to it. USB-C has a lot more going on in that cable, and if the cable isn't up to spec, either your phone or the charger (or both) will detect that and not allow the phone to charge at its full capacity.

If you have a proper working cable and charger, and the phone charges slow, there might be a possibility that the charge port has a messed up lead, but it could also mean an issue with the charging circuits in the phone... which is bad since in both cases, the fix involves ripping open the phone and mucking around with replacement parts... Or, you contact Ebay and the seller and report that the seller sold you a defective product.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
It could also be the cable. Can you tell us exactly which charger you purchased and, if possible, which cable?

Is the phone in a case? If so, are you certain that the cable is fully seating in the phone's port? Try the following both with and without the case:

Connect the charger and then go to Settings -> Battery. Does it say "Charging on AC" or "Charging on USB"?

Thank you N4Newbie. It is charging on AC. I think they just got me & tried to pass a used phone as new so I'm going to follow Nahoku's advice. I appreciate you taking the time to point that out, much obliged

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Well, if you have a proper wall charger, then you are correct in that there are really only two options; the charging port/circuitry or the cable.

The cable, obviously, is the easiest to address. Get a new C-C charging cable... Benson Leung, a Google engineer, has a lot of information about cables and such... I don't have the link, but a quick Google search should point you to it. USB-C has a lot more going on in that cable, and if the cable isn't up to spec, either your phone or the charger (or both) will detect that and not allow the phone to charge at its full capacity.

If you have a proper working cable and charger, and the phone charges slow, there might be a possibility that the charge port has a messed up lead, but it could also mean an issue with the charging circuits in the phone... which is bad since in both cases, the fix involves ripping open the phone and mucking around with replacement parts... Or, you contact Ebay and the seller and report that the seller sold you a defective product.

Thank LeoRex. I think your spot on w/ your comment. I've used a Samsung "Adaptive Fast Charging" wall charger & also a LG "Fast Charge" wall charger. The Samsung charger is spotty. At best it charges my 6p in 5 hours but has taken a ridiculous amount longer than that. I've connected had that charger and used me phone and the phones battery life drains because I'm using it while charging. I've never had that happen w/ any phone I've ever used.. I'm actually in the process of charging my phone w/ the LG charger and right now it says the phone will take at least 4 hours to charge, smh. I think Nahuko is right, I have to see what I can do via Paypal. Thanks again & love the Beaker pic. He's the funniest

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
To nahoku's point, if the phone was listed as "new" in the eBay listing and it was anything other than that, you have/had recourse to get money back.

I agree, I'm hoping I can find the solution via Paypal. It's been a over a couple month's now so if I'm not mistaken I don't know that I can find the solution through Ebay because I was expecting a new phone & didn't think to sign up for Ebay's return policy. I appreciate the feedback, Happy New year!

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
How "little too late" is it? Was the purchase covered under ebay money back gurantee? Was the listing description in any way NOT complete regarding what you were getting? Ebay return policy may protect you, or even paypal (180 days), depending on the conditions. Look hard at the options before thinking it's too late.

When I saw your reply there was an instant sigh of relief that I felt because I didn't think to look into any options through Paypal. I really really appreciate this reply. I just opened another tab for Paypal & Ebay to see what I can do about that 180 day Paypal advice you gave me. I'm not sure how it all works but I'm also going to use google to see what steps I need to take & what can be done regarding your suggestion. Thank you very much for opening my eyes in relation to this possibility. I'm hoping everything works out

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've used a Samsung "Adaptive Fast Charging" wall charger & also a LG "Fast Charge" wall charger.

The 6P uses USB Power Delivery... which is a published specification that is part of the USB-C spec... Those charging techs... whether it is Adaptive Fast Charging, or Qualcomm QuickCharge, etc... those are all proprietary charging technologies, and ones that are usually only supported on a limited number of devices. Not to mention that they are all based on the older USB specs.

To get the 6P to charge quickly, you need to plug it into a brick that supports USB PD, with a USB-C to C cable that fully complies with the USB-C specs... your best best is the stock cable and charger.

Once you start fussing with USB-C to micro cables and wall bricks from other OEMs or non-USB-C bricks, performance might be spotty (or dangerous.... there are a bunch of bricks and cables from companies who didn't bother to conform to the published guidelines that could actually cause damage)

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
The 6P uses USB Power Delivery... which is a published specification that is part of the USB-C spec... Those charging techs... whether it is Adaptive Fast Charging, or Qualcomm QuickCharge, etc... those are all proprietary charging technologies, and ones that are usually only supported on a limited number of devices. Not to mention that they are all based on the older USB specs.

To get the 6P to charge quickly, you need to plug it into a brick that supports USB PD, with a USB-C to C cable that fully complies with the USB-C specs... your best best is the stock cable and charger.

Once you start fussing with USB-C to micro cables and wall bricks from other OEMs or non-USB-C bricks, performance might be spotty (or dangerous.... there are a bunch of bricks and cables from companies who didn't bother to conform to the published guidelines that could actually cause damage)

Thanks LeoRex, glad you could explain all that for me. It would've been nice if the seller would've just given me the specific wall charger that was meant to go w/ the Nexus 6p. This has been my first premium phone so I'm learning as I go, learning the hard way unfortunately, but still learning.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
When I saw your reply there was an instant sigh of relief that I felt because I didn't think to look into any options through Paypal. I really really appreciate this reply. I just opened another tab for Paypal & Ebay to see what I can do about that 180 day Paypal advice you gave me. I'm not sure how it all works but I'm also going to use google to see what steps I need to take & what can be done regarding your suggestion. Thank you very much for opening my eyes in relation to this possibility. I'm hoping everything works out
Look hard at the listing to make sure the description isn't misleading. ANYTHING not correct with the listing falls to your favor. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Look hard at the listing to make sure the description isn't misleading. ANYTHING not correct with the listing falls to your favor. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Very thankful for everyone's help & I can't say it enough, a very very special thank you to you Nahoku. Thanks to your help I will now be able to send back the phone for a full refund. I wouldn't have known that I had the option to pursue a claim through Paypal if you hadn't told me and for that I'm grateful. If there is anyway I can return the favor & provide any advice/help in the future don't hesitate to get in touch w/ me. I know some about smartphones, but music is a passion of mine.. & you're right, the listing said "other new" which means there should be no signs of wear, so the fact that it had a couple scratches when I received it was beneficial to my argument. Best wishes Nahoku!!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Glad to help... you're very welcome! I'm very glad you didn't get stuck with the phone... that would've been the pits! Good luck with your next purchase!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbiewoodphillips