Are phones getting ridiculous now?

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I never considered TCL/BBMo,since the specs were mediocre for the prices. I could've purchased a cheap Moto device in the G series for half the price as a TCL/BBMo device with similar specs. PKB wasn't a draw to me.

Yes I'm sure their prices vs specs was a deterrent for many. Will say though, my Motion was somewhat of a wolf in sheep's clothing, great daily performer, dependable software, and its battery was a beast. The Motion is what actually opened my eyes to the fact one doesn't necessarily need the most powerful, or expensive, in an attempt at getting it done.

Not much into PKB's neither but always wanted to try a KEYone so bought a Silver Edition new hugely discounted, imo it too is a great performer with a long-lasting battery... Camera wasn't all that bad either wishing it had made its way to the Motion.

KEY2/LE didn't entice much mainly due to their pricing but also had an inkling TCL/BBMo was still skimping in the camera department, pretty sure that was the case.

These days I'm still rockin' my P20 Pro as a daily driver, still a stellar performer imo and the camera(s) are best I've owned (main reasons I find it hard to let go). Have the P20 too for those times when we prefer to carry something smaller. Also purchased the LG G8X ThinQ w/DualScreen because it intrigued LOL. Motion, KEYone, and Pixel 2 XL are at the ready as well if there's a need hehehe. As you can already see I got a problem yet none came close to the 1K or above price tags some are garnering and all were purchased new. Although it may not seem like it I find myself using devices for considerably longer from say 2 years ago, just got to curb my spending habits and the urge to buy something new ;).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Choice is for sure nice but now we have to weed out paying for gimmicks and/or features, that in the grand scheme of things make little difference in day-to-day use. Does allow manufactures to tack on a few more $$ because of them though.

For me small was in but now my eyesight has informed me bigger is better LOL. There is a limit though as to how much bigger and thankfully moving towards bezel-less has help keep sizes manageable.

One of the big problems is, many people (including me LOL) want the latest and greatest (which usually translates into most expensive) yet most rarely use said device to its fullest... The funny thing is, then 9 months or so down the road we toss in the towel opting for the next model that was just released because its even shinier LOL.

Then there's updates/support which most manufactures still suck at imo. Owned several devices over past 1-3 years that manufactures claim they'll provide "monthly security patches" for 2 years, may start out w/good intentions but never stays on an even keel missing several over the course. So yeah, if they don't get the lead out in this regard then that'll be another reason for keeping a device current... damned if we do damned if we don't.

I completely agree with you.

With devices becoming more and more expensive - and, as you've mentioned, getting more and more gimmicks that you may and may not want or want to put up with - it's becoming harder and harder to make a choice that you will stick with for 1-2 years.

It was harder for me to find a new phone in 2019. It was easier for me to grab the Pixel 2... But with some of the gimmicks/new features coming out - sliding cameras, disappearing camera bumps, in-display fingerprint scanners (which I now love) - it was difficult for me to choose, and I know I'll have a harder time in 2021 or whenever I choose to upgrade again. And with phones getting bigger, it'll be even harder!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'm sure their prices vs specs was a deterrent for many. Will say though, my Motion was somewhat of a wolf in sheep's clothing, great daily performer, dependable software, and its battery was a beast. The Motion is what actually opened my eyes to the fact one doesn't necessarily need the most powerful, or expensive, in an attempt at getting it done.

Not much into PKB's neither but always wanted to try a KEYone so bought a Silver Edition new hugely discounted, imo it too is a great performer with a long-lasting battery... Camera wasn't all that bad either wishing it had made its way to the Motion.

KEY2/LE didn't entice much mainly due to their pricing but also had an inkling TCL/BBMo was still skimping in the camera department, pretty sure that was the case.

These days I'm still rockin' my P20 Pro as a daily driver, still a stellar performer imo and the camera(s) are best I've owned (main reasons I find it hard to let go). Have the P20 too for those times when we prefer to carry something smaller. Also purchased the LG G8X ThinQ w/DualScreen because it intrigued LOL. Motion, KEYone, and Pixel 2 XL are at the ready as well if there's a need hehehe. As you can already see I got a problem yet none came close to the 1K or above price tags some are garnering and all were purchased new. Although it may not seem like it I find myself using devices for considerably longer from say 2 years ago, just got to curb my spending habits and the urge to buy something new ;).
Well, I definitely agree that you have devices with excellent cameras with the P20 Pro, Pixel 2,and G8. Since I only have one device at a time, I won't get one that has a mediocre camera for the price, which is what I thought of the TCL/BBMo devices.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree. The difference between the midrange and top is negligible.
Yeah , I mean might lose out on latest chip or wireless charging but you have to make the decision if the extra money is worth it to you otherwise there are some pretty outstanding mid range devices out there .

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, I definitely agree that you have devices with excellent cameras with the P20 Pro, Pixel 2,and G8. Since I only have one device at a time, I won't get one that has a mediocre camera for the price, which is what I thought of the TCL/BBMo devices.
Cameras on phones don't entice me. Most, to me, are decent enough. It's not like I take a picture with my Nokia 7.1 and it looks horrible. I have a dedicated camera for times I know I need one. For others I understand a phone camera is important and will have to spend a little more for what they want. Good to have choices!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Cameras on phones don't entice me. Most, to me, are decent enough. It's not like I take a picture with my Nokia 7.1 and it looks horrible. I have a dedicated camera for times I know I need one. For others I understand a phone camera is important and will have to spend a little more for what they want. Good to have choices!
Nokia devices have always had decent cameras. The 7.1camera actually has a lot of great features, including manual mode.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site

Being away from BB for 5 years thought, just maybe, things had improved. But nope imo they didn't. TCL/BBMo's attempt(s) went downhill rather quickly if don't say so myself.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Being away from BB for 5 years thought, just maybe, things had improved. But nope imo they didn't. TCL/BBMo's attempt(s) went downhill rather quickly if don't say so myself.
That's unfortunate. I used to love BBOS especially the Bold line of devices.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site

The way I see it. If one is spending a fair bit a coin it should include the whole package which means capable shooter(s), also including mid-rangers here too. With technology as it is today there's almost no excuse for 90% of devices rolling off assembly line not to have a capable daylight shooter.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it. If one is spending a fair bit a coin it should include the whole package which means capable shooter(s), also including mid-rangers here too. With technology as it is today there's almost no excuse for 90% of devices rolling off assembly line not to have a capable daylight shooter.

I guess my question would be, don’t they?
Like I said, my Nokia seems (to me) to take decent enough pics and it’s clearly midrange. Of course, that’s a huge segment when it comes to Android phones.

I agree with you though. The technology is now there so there really is no excuse. You shouldn’t have to pay $1400 for a good camera on a phone (iPhone 11 with selfie slow motion?).

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I guess my question would be, don’t they?
Like I said, my Nokia seems (to me) to take decent enough pics and it’s clearly midrange. Of course, that’s a huge segment when it comes to Android phones.

I agree with you though. The technology is now there so there really is no excuse. You shouldn’t have to pay $1400 for a good camera on a phone (iPhone 11 with selfie slow motion?).

Yes I think many do compared to a year or two ago. Guess I was more pointing fingers at TCL/BBMo LOL... Yeah we know why they didn't.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes I think many do compared to a year or two ago. Guess I was more pointing fingers at TCL/BBMo LOL... Yeah we know why they didn't.

LOL, I hear ya.
I gave the LE a try but soon realized from a value standpoint that they didn’t stand a chance with a BB phone.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Yes. Even OnePlus comes out with a couple of devices a year. It's hard to keep up in the Android world. The one thing I like about the iPhone is Apple announces like 3 models a year and that's it. I don't understand why Samsung feels like it needs 10 models per year.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
To potentially make more money, I guess! But I know what you mean. Sometimes it's hard to make a choice when you know you want a Samsung phone but there are a plethora of options to choose from!
Yes. Even OnePlus comes out with a couple of devices a year. It's hard to keep up in the Android world. The one thing I like about the iPhone is Apple announces like 3 models a year and that's it. I don't understand why Samsung feels like it needs 10 models per year.

Ricky Simpkin

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I think phones are getting really boring now due to them looking almost identical to each other.

But I'm glad Samsung made the S10e, it's basically the only truly compact high end phone of last year.

Even smaller than the Pixel 3 and Galaxy A40.

I wish there were more keyboard phones (I'd have paid well over a grand for an S10e with a sliding portrait mechanism like the BB Priv for example)

And just different form factors in general.

I wish that phones that had moving parts had them for a real/practical reason (such as a keyboard) instead of for the sake of having zero bezels/no hole punch/notch.

Foldables seem to be the only exciting thing, but they have to sort out the durability issues.

S10e is great, no curved edge. screen ratio is better for watching netflix etc,
i think Samsung could reduce the variations of phones, there is so many mid tier phones out.

my perfect phone would 16x9 with no sockets/inputs, going completely wireless, Qi/Bluetooth/Wifi/NFC only. and a flat screen...

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks all this. Personally, I will try to get the best device I can for the best price.. within reason of course. 750-800 is the max I will pay for a device. Don't have to be the latest and greatest. I had the LG V30 from June 2018 until about a month ago... Worked great for the most part. But it's technically been outdated for awhile now. I picked up the Note 9 on a deal from T-Mobile last month. A great device... and came out like in August 2018 or whatever. To me 2018 seems like just yesterday and it still has great specs and more recent software. A device like this should easily last me at least two years.

I don't think specs though make a great phone. Take for example awhile back I tried out the LG G8.. Great 2019 specs. I know a lot of people will disagree, but personally I thought the phone was a piece of crap and I couldn't wait to return it. Horrible battery life, terrible screen, speaker system, really bad cell reception and overall just not a good device.

Also IMO I'm not buying a phone for the camera. It is certainly a nice bonus if the device does have a good camera though.

maher shtat

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I believe this is right, too many unnecessary phones being pushed to the fully saturated market.
Specially the Chinese makers literally every day i open the net i come across new Chinese phone.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I read the AndroidCentral article on the RAZR - $1,500.00 ??? You gotta be off your rocker.

For me, I am chugging along with my Note8 (with screen burn in), patiently waiting out this terrible, horrendous notch/hole craze.

I would actually consider a Key3 if the new one came with an OLED display, but BB/TCL have given up (don't get me started!)

Pixel 4 XL is perhaps my best option right now, but then I'm giving up headphone jack and expandable storage, and the sPen.

I'm just going to wait it out and see if someone, anyone can give me at least what I already have, which is a notchless/holeless OLED display, headphone jack, expandable storage, etc...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos