Are phones getting ridiculous now?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I read the AndroidCentral article on the RAZR - $1,500.00 ??? You gotta be off your rocker.

For me, I am chugging along with my Note8 (with screen burn in), patiently waiting out this terrible, horrendous notch/hole craze.

I would actually consider a Key3 if the new one came with an OLED display, but BB/TCL have given up (don't get me started!)

Pixel 4 XL is perhaps my best option right now, but then I'm giving up headphone jack and expandable storage, and the sPen.

I'm just going to wait it out and see if someone, anyone can give me at least what I already have, which is a notchless/holeless OLED display, headphone jack, expandable storage, etc...

I too miss the days of BlackBerry...

I'm going to hold on to my S10 until something comes along that catches my eye. I still have my Pixel 2 so worst case scenario, I can swap between the two.

But you are right: $1500 for a phone ie NOT something I'm okay with.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Back in the day it was definitely a bigger upgrade.. now a days not so much. There is no real need to upgrade each year. Some may still like to but I've definitely slowed down the past few years compared to before.

I get why these big guys are doing this.. this way people can have a top end "budget" phone versus just a "budget" phone.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I'd pay up to $1000 for a top end phone with a slide out portrait keyboard.

And I'd have to because it would be the only one on the market, and the BlackBerry Priv's 808 processor and Android 6 isn't cutting it in 2020 lol

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I guess because the camera has gotten better with these newer devices and the high refresh rate is something new now to phones and some people need storage for 4k photos video and other things they keep on the device . We not going get major design change like a star wars alien type or 3d projector phone:)) but the small enhancements like battery more storage ,better ram managment /chip efficiency , AI improvements are a welcome and worth it to me .

I completely agree. Personally I think that physical keyboards on phones are redundant and unnecessary...when put on a modern phone the screen size will be halved, which to me is tiny considering how most apps and websites are designed and viewed now. There will probably some who will be nostalgic and counter that screens are becoming too big, which they are...but I’m not sure I’d like to use a phone with a screen size of below 5.5 inches.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd pay up to $1000 for a top end phone with a slide out portrait keyboard.

And I'd have to because it would be the only one on the market, and the BlackBerry Priv's 808 processor and Android 6 isn't cutting it in 2020 lol

That would be pretty awesome. Or even a slide out landscape keyboard, like those Sidekicks.

Steerpike58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Even though most users only upgrade every few years, manufacturers need to release new phones each year so they have something 'new' when you and I decide it's time to upgrade. Also, each company has to 'keep up' - there's something of an arms race going on out there - no one is going to buy a 2-year-old Samsung if there's a new Pixel out there, etc. So sadly, I think we are going to be stuck in this 'several new phones each year' mode.

What I can't comprehend is - why are phones released in different colors, and why do they have a sexy glass back, when ... let's face it ... 95% of people put a case on them? They could save money and put simple plastic on the back, one color, since no one ever looks at that. But yet reviewers talk up the sexy, shiny bodies and the manufacturers keep making them. Am I wrong that 95% of people put a case on a phone? I've dropped every phone I've ever owned multiple times, and whenever I'm tempted to enjoy the 'sexy slim look' of my case-less phone, I'm reminded why I must encase it when it slips through my fingers! Maybe a vendor should try building a decent rugged case into the design, so you don't have to put an after-market case on it? If one were to "design it in", one should be able to come up with a smaller overall footprint. My old Samsung S5 had a removable plastic back (and therefore, replaceable battery - yeay!), and reviewers panned it for looking bad.

And why are Samsung making curved-edge (screen) phones? This makes adding a screen protector more problematic. The only reason I just upgraded my Samsung S7 was because I got a nasty big scratch across the screen - I don't even know how it happened. This seems to be a true triumph of form over substance. It looks sexy in the ads, but does it add any real function?

As I age, my eyesight gets worse so I do appreciate the larger screens now, and I am pleased with the way my S10+ let's me set a fairly large font.

I still find the 'user experience' of browsing on the phone to be awful compared to browsing using my laptop (15.7"). Voice recognition is getting better and better, making the keyboard less and less of an issue.

Fast charging and wireless charging are really cool features I just discovered.

Being able to wirelessly mirror / extend my phone's display to a big screen TV would be a good next step. I know you can do things like that already, but it's not quite mainstream yet.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Even though most users only upgrade every few years, manufacturers need to release new phones each year so they have something 'new' when you and I decide it's time to upgrade. Also, each company has to 'keep up' - there's something of an arms race going on out there - no one is going to buy a 2-year-old Samsung if there's a new Pixel out there, etc. So sadly, I think we are going to be stuck in this 'several new phones each year' mode.

What I can't comprehend is - why are phones released in different colors, and why do they have a sexy glass back, when ... let's face it ... 95% of people put a case on them? They could save money and put simple plastic on the back, one color, since no one ever looks at that. But yet reviewers talk up the sexy, shiny bodies and the manufacturers keep making them. Am I wrong that 95% of people put a case on a phone? I've dropped every phone I've ever owned multiple times, and whenever I'm tempted to enjoy the 'sexy slim look' of my case-less phone, I'm reminded why I must encase it when it slips through my fingers! Maybe a vendor should try building a decent rugged case into the design, so you don't have to put an after-market case on it? If one were to "design it in", one should be able to come up with a smaller overall footprint. My old Samsung S5 had a removable plastic back (and therefore, replaceable battery - yeay!), and reviewers panned it for looking bad.

And why are Samsung making curved-edge (screen) phones? This makes adding a screen protector more problematic. The only reason I just upgraded my Samsung S7 was because I got a nasty big scratch across the screen - I don't even know how it happened. This seems to be a true triumph of form over substance. It looks sexy in the ads, but does it add any real function?

As I age, my eyesight gets worse so I do appreciate the larger screens now, and I am pleased with the way my S10+ let's me set a fairly large font.

I still find the 'user experience' of browsing on the phone to be awful compared to browsing using my laptop (15.7"). Voice recognition is getting better and better, making the keyboard less and less of an issue.

Fast charging and wireless charging are really cool features I just discovered.

Being able to wirelessly mirror / extend my phone's display to a big screen TV would be a good next step. I know you can do things like that already, but it's not quite mainstream yet.

Agree manufactures gotta keep releasing yet the likes of Samsung are going overboard imo. Maybe it's their attempt at capturing more of the market share by design enough devices to suite everyone's needs.

Plastic/poly-carbonate constructed phones are perfectly fine with me as I too always adorn mine in cases. If it made a dent in pricing why not. A user replaceable battery probably will resurface at some point, as new technology with an added premium for it LOL.

I despise curved displays and the exact reason our GS7 Edge was the last. I'll admit it does have some sex appeal yet feels too unnatural in-hand for me. And as you already pointed out, screen protector fitments, in many instances, is a bear getting it right if at all.

Yeah age and larger displays do go together LOL. I too don't mind larger, thankfully bezel-less designs are helping keep overall size of the devices within a manageable range while increasing the active display.

The browsing experience on phones still seems to have its limitations at times alright. For me wouldn't say it is awful yet has fallen short at times. Love voice recognition yet for whatever reason just can't seem to kick the habit of using the keyboard... Maybe a case of "can't teach an old dog new tricks" haahaha.

Used wireless charging some with my GS7 & Edge and then just lost interest, so not a biggie to me if a device incorporates it or not.

Rarely use any function that expands usability beyond the device itself. Tried some of those features but just doesn't suit my style I guess. Cloud storage kinda nullifies the need to rely on such I suppose since other devices have become smarter too.

At the end of the day, my most sought after enhancement to Android is the day we see a min of four years (or more) of consistent support from the majority of manufactures. Still way too spotty on that front in my opinion and it's downright pathetic considering the prices being paid for some of these devices. Many manufactures still blow a lot of hot air out of their arses when they state "monthly security patches for two years" as in most cases they always fall short by several months... When security patches are issued monthly (which they are) then it should be exactly that no ifs ands or buts.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I want a phone built to last. That way I have the choice of when to upgrade (be it after 1 year or after 3 years or even more) and do not have a feeling that the life of the device is limited. It needs to be water resistant, have a user-removable battery, and have a built-in option to flash GSI images (and be designed to be 100% compatible with AOSP GSI's). Also, the screen has to retain good quality AND not have even a remote possibility of burn-in. Said phone should also be built to be repairable and instead of thermal paste use graohene heat transfer pads (similar to the thing Linus Tech Tips showed a few years ago).

Don't get me wrong, I still love modern phones and getting new phones but there are always compromises. Will definitely hold on to my S8 that I bought last summer for $300 until something significantly better is available at a price affordable to me and I feel like changing phones.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I hate the pricing but love where phones are going now.

The likes of Samsung Galaxy 20 Ultra, Huawei Mate 30 Pro, Huawei P30 Pro, Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro, Galaxy Note 10+, Sony Xperia 1 II, Xperia Pro etc... Bring all sorts of amazing stuff from Reverse Charging, huge batteries that can take heavy usage for a full day and then some, big high quality displays, incredible Cameras that are far more capable than anybody ever thought a camera in a phone that's less than 15mm thin could be the meer fact that we have phones that can Zoom Optically to about 3x to 5x with hardware is amazing, of course after that it's all fancy software trickery that still does a fantastic job.

I sit here typing on my P30 Pro and in absolute awe at how far mobile tech has come since I became an enthusiast back in the Symbian and Windows Mobile days, back then you were lucky if your smartphone could make it to lunchtime on 1 charge, now you have to really work it hard to get it to die before bedtime.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I hate the pricing but love where phones are going now.

The likes of Samsung Galaxy 20 Ultra, Huawei Mate 30 Pro, Huawei P30 Pro, Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro, Galaxy Note 10+, Sony Xperia 1 II, Xperia Pro etc... Bring all sorts of amazing stuff from Reverse Charging, huge batteries that can take heavy usage for a full day and then some, big high quality displays, incredible Cameras that are far more capable than anybody ever thought a camera in a phone that's less than 15mm thin could be the meer fact that we have phones that can Zoom Optically to about 3x to 5x with hardware is amazing, of course after that it's all fancy software trickery that still does a fantastic job.

I sit here typing on my P30 Pro and in absolute awe at how far mobile tech has come since I became an enthusiast back in the Symbian and Windows Mobile days, back then you were lucky if your smartphone could make it to lunchtime on 1 charge, now you have to really work it hard to get it to die before bedtime.
Smartphone design has largely plateaued, sure phones now are powerhouses, but they're really more similar looking than ever, they don't have much distinct design characteristics/personality to them anymore.

I tried to get myself excited about all these giant slabs (because that's all we have to choose from now) but I just can't lol

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I stopped chasing the yearly updates almost 5 years ago. Phones have gotten good enough now to me that I'll get a flagship device and keep it until there is something wrong with it that makes it impossible to use.

And that's when I started yearly updates. The cameras are my driving force and they're changed a lot in the last five years. I take photos for pleasure and since I'm older than most trees toting a camera and a bag of lenses around wasn't any fun. My camera is in the closet and I'm having fun taking pictures again.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
And that's when I started yearly updates. The cameras are my driving force and they're changed a lot in the last five years. I take photos for pleasure and since I'm older than most trees toting a camera and a bag of lenses around wasn't any fun. My camera is in the closet and I'm having fun taking pictures again.

I too agree that one does not need to upgrade yearly any longer. I either wait until my phone is paid off/has an issue/I really want a new phone before I make a purchase. But it's gotta be a great phone for me to consider putting down the one I currently own.

Another thing is the prices. I won't get a phablet and even my S10 was getting up there in price and that was a hard pill to swallow. That pill gets harder and harder to swallow with each upgrade! Makes me want to go back to midrange powerhouses like Honor.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
The more options, the better, always.

But these prices... Simply unacceptable. I could pay for a flagship device of any brand I want, but I won't just because I don't think it's worth these prices...

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

But these prices... Simply unacceptable. I could pay for a flagship device of any brand I want, but I won't just because I don't think it's worth these prices...

I think Samsung's $1400 phone is like my ex-wife. They're just seeing how far they can go before their support disappears.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I think Samsung's $1400 phone is like my ex-wife. They're just seeing how far they can go before their support disappears.
My support to Apple gone when they tried to put iPhones prices too high. But, if Samsung does the same, so I'll need to look after another brands as well. My Note 10+ was too pricey, but in my carrier contract and giving my old phone it became tolerable. Not good, but tolerable. If I won't be able to do the same in my next change, so bye bye Samsung. Simple like that. $1400 for a smartphone? For God's sake!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree. It's really hard to justify those hefty pricetags.

What phone are you using now?

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
My support to Apple gone when they tried to put iPhones prices too high. But, if Samsung does the same, so I'll need to look after another brands as well. My Note 10+ was too pricey, but in my carrier contract and giving my old phone it became tolerable. Not good, but tolerable. If I won't be able to do the same in my next change, so bye bye Samsung. Simple like that. $1400 for a smartphone? For God's sake!

I too stopped looking at iPhone's (for my wife) when prices became unjustifiable, started around the time they released the seven.

On the Samsung front it started out me loathing curved displays after owning the GS7 Edge, so their flagships haven't been a consideration of mine since. Shortly thereafter pricing became a factor and I vowed "anything" 1K or above (Canadian) would not be gracing my hands, to-date stuck to my guns having no regrets... Reason we didn't consider S10 w/flat display at the time. Now base price for the S20 starts at $1300+ CAD rising to a whopping $2100+ CAD for the top-of-line Ultra model. So as you can see Samsung no longer factors into my smartphone purchasing decisions on the flagship end.

Have two early-2018 flagships (one still used as our daily), and one flagship from late 2019. They all perform very well, have good shooters, 1.5-2 day battery life, do everything I ask of them, and they all cost me half of what the base S20+ would. So see absolutely no reason whatsoever spending that kind of money Samsung is asking as the gains will literally be miniscule for my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana