Are there any working Kitkat ROMs?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
CyanogenMod 11 is stable but network performance is awful (really poor connections when I get them at all, approximately 10% of the performance of 4.3). I've tried Shiny but it crashes as soon as it boots up, and goes into an endless reboot cycle (i.e. it gets to the desktop screen then it reboots).

Are there any Kitkat ROMs for the Verizon GN that work?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've got the GSM version, not Verizon. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, but I'd guess the ROM itself is pretty much the same just the bits of software that communicate with the radio stack is different (GSM radios vs CDMA)

Anyway, I've been running CM 11-2013211 for roughly a week (its a nightly, directly from CM's website). I've had very few issues. Even the graphical issues that plagued all the early 4.4 ROMs (Not just CM's) are pretty much gone. I've actually found it to be almost as stable as any 4.3 ROMs I've tried (again, not just CM's, I mean ANY of the 4.3 ROMs)

However, I did experience some bootlooping trying to get it up and running. I've found that doing a complete factory wipe (Data, cache, dalvik) before and after installing the ROM helps. Once it boots up I let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Usually I go out for a cigarette and by the time I come back in, it's booted up. If it's still booting I'll yank the battery, boot back into recovery, and factory wipe once again. This 2nd wipe for whatever reason is the cure. I can't say why it won't always fully boot after the first wipe, but for me it ALWAYS boots after the 2nd one.

Now of course you're going to loose all your data, so back it up before you even start. Good luck!

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It's the radios that are the problem for me and that's precisely the area where the Verizon GN differs from the GSM GNs. Aside from the data networking CM11 is much better than CM 10.2 which crashes all of the time. Of course saying "aside from the networking" is like the joke, "aside from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?".

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Shiny with ART and 1080 kernel has been pretty solid for me. I just flashed the 12/11 version last night. So far so good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the first Kit Kat ROM for the GNex was Slim. Don't have a GNex but Slim has the best ROMs imo

Posted via Android Central App

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've tried several 4.4.x builds. I really can't talk about reliability or stability because I keep going back to 4.3 due to MS Exchange issues. Some claim to have fixed them, but my calendar still does not sync correctly on any 4.4. rom I've tried so far. CMetal, Omni, Shiny all with the same results. 4.4.2 has not addressed this issue properly, but the constant Exchange server pinging has been fixed, or so I'm told.