Are users still happy with their S4s?

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have an LGOG, which I like very much. Still I have been entertaining the idea of getting a new phone. Originally, my choices were narrowed down to a N5 or a G2 but now I'm having second thoughts about the S4.

The media is so fickle in its praise of the device that I prefer to get actual user feedback.

I have three friends who have the phone but I consider only one of them to be tech savvy. So I've come for the opinion of the smartphone geeks :)

I am on AT&T with unlimited data. LTE coverage where I live work and play is excellent. I don't use my phone for music or games.

From my LG Optimus G E970 using AC Forums mobile app.

benbird7

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting rid of my s4 when I get it back from Samsung for the third time. Completely fed up with it now keep going back also they've no doubt put latest firmware on it with Knox so can't customise rom. I'm using an s2 until I can find something worthy of spending my dosh on. All these extra features and gimmicks on the s4 drain the battery and do does the bigger screen i get much better life on the s2 with cm 10.2. Also it works and has been ironed out of all the creases us users are used to when they release handsets and we end up being the Guinea pigs. Rant over

Posted via Android Central App

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting rid of my s4 when I get it back from Samsung for the third time. Completely fed up with it now keep going back also they've no doubt put latest firmware on it with Knox so can't customise rom. I'm using an s2 until I can find something worthy of spending my dosh on. All these extra features and gimmicks on the s4 drain the battery and do does the bigger screen i get much better life on the s2 with cm 10.2. Also it works and has been ironed out of all the creases us users are used to when they release handsets and we end up being the Guinea pigs. Rant over

What was wrong with yours? Mine functions without issue

benbird7

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
It went into a factory mode and it wouldn't come out of it. No reboot menu would just shut down. It would also loose any WiFi points. I explained this to Samsung many times but they're useless people at the repair centre kept re flashing latest firmware. Second time I got it back it said the efs folder may be corrupt or lost I think it was which is what caused it.

Last edited:

melmc1403

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
My S4 has had no problems so far and I love it. Would definitely recommend it :) x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
It's definetly a good phone, I love my phone, but after playing with a G2 and HTC One, I can tell they are superior to mine.. So you can't go wrong with it, but there is better for sure.

Last edited:

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It's definetly a good phone, I love my phone, but after using my father's G2 and HTC One, I can tell they are superior to mine.. So you can't go wrong with it, but there is better for sure.

What did you notice right off the bat that made the LG and HTC "superior" to your S4?

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
What did you notice right off the bat that made the LG and HTC "superior" to your S4?

Obviously the build quality is better on the One, and the G2 is just a tad better than the S4. The other difference is the fluidity of operating the phone. The s4 isn't slow by any means, but the both the others run even faster. Just a few things I noticed.

Erin Heilner

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Obviously the build quality is better on the One, and the G2 is just a tad better than the S4. The other difference is the fluidity of operating the phone. The s4 isn't slow by any means, but the both the others run even faster. Just a few things I noticed.

Did you ever turn on dev option and change all screen animations to off and animator duration scale off.

blademael

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I love my S4 and after installing nova launcher instead of touch wiz no more lagg.

The fact that you can add more storage is great.

sent by my Galaxy S4

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely recommend the S4. I've had mine since June of last year. Has not disappointed me at all. It's been the only phone I've had for more then 4 months and my only trading option would be the Gn3 but even then Im probably gonna wait out for the Gs5. Been very pleased with how Samsung brought their game up with the S4 from the S3. Hoping Sammy wows again with the S5.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I love my S4 and after installing nova launcher instead of touch wiz no more lagg.

The fact that you can add more storage is great.

sent by my Galaxy S4

I appreciate both but aside from swapping out a few apps, I don't feel you should have to swap out the entire launcher just to get the phone to work better. Color me funny but hey at least it is an option right?

I am also using cloud storage more because I have WiFi access at home and work as well as unlimited data.

I had a 32 GB microSD fail on me and it was G+'s auto update that allowed me to recover my photos.

Orlando Hammonds

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My S4 is the first Samsung phone I purchased, previously an HTC user. I have experienced no major issues and like everything about it. Just as with anything else, you purchase a bad one sometimes, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I am happy coming from apple except for a couple of things. First the standby mode on the s4 goes through battery much quicker to the iPhone. I don't like overcharging my phone so take it off when it's done and at night throw it on airplane mode. When it's time to go to work take airplane mode off and it's at 91. With my IPhone I didn't need to put it on airplane mode and pick it up at 100. Another thing is landscape mode takes like 2 seconds to switch. Doesn't sound like much but on the iPhone its instant. Android is really lacking in that field. Should have been fixed by now. The camera also takes way to long to open couldn't tell you how many times I missed shots because the camera wouldn't open quickly enough. And lastly the music apps are horrible on Android. I've tried a bunch like music google music poweramp and win amp. They work but the interfaces are really ugly and when using the auxiliary cable in the car it chews battery. With my old iPhone I drove to Syracuse about 4 hours and on the whole time due to music lost like 10 percent. On my s4 I had it on for not even an hour and it was down 15 percent. You think Android would be on the top of their game but clearly aren't in the small categories. This is first Android and still learning the inns and outs so if anyone has a suggestion to help any of these problems I have please let me know! Its a Verizon s4 and is not rooted. Thank you!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
There are alternative skins for Poweramp. Lots of battery saving tips too, in maybe half a dozen battery threads.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an LGOG, which I like very much. Still I have been entertaining the idea of getting a new phone. Originally, my choices were narrowed down to a N5 or a G2 but now I'm having second thoughts about the S4.

The media is so fickle in its praise of the device that I prefer to get actual user feedback.

I have three friends who have the phone but I consider only one of them to be tech savvy. So I've come for the opinion of the smartphone geeks :)

I am on AT&T with unlimited data. LTE coverage where I live work and play is excellent. I don't use my phone for music or games.

I'm still enjoying mine, but probably because I am running a stock android ROM. Otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out with all of the issues Samsung has been having.
Anyway, it's still a god choice of a phone but at this point you'd be better off waiting for the S5, or getting the Note 3. The G2 is a good choice too

r311music

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have had mine for a few months now and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I have had 0 issues so far and it does everything I need it to do. I did install the nova launc her to reduce the tad bit of TW lag though. The standby battery drain is annoying but nothing too crazy. Some people knock the build quality but once you put it in a good case, it feels the same as any other phone. I'd recommend it although the G2 is pretty nice too. I'm not big fan of the One though.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I love my S4, I have had it for about six months. My decision on a phone is based on the ability to keep my music, movie and audio book files on the phone. For me the S4 is the perfect choice. My next choice would be the latest phone from Sony. I rarely stream music or video. I travel a lot and when overseas or on planes I find it much easier to watch and listen to items on my phone and tablet. Also, like other GS4 users I have switched launchers. I changed to Nova Launcher Prime for my launcher. Makes the phone much more responsive and provides tons of options for customization. Hard to understand how a company the size of Samsung can come up with something as clunky as Touch Wiz.

If you don't need a lot of storage then I don't know if the S4 is the best choice. I think it is a good solid phone. If I was on a GSM network like AT&T I would wait until the MWC next month and see what phones get announced. You will probably see some cool new offerings.

cachun402

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
he only phones I've seen that would beat the s4 would be the Note 3 and possibly the G2 I own the s4 and LOVE IT the HTC one has nothing compared to the s4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar