AT&T M9 Android 5.1 update rolling out 7/15

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Should I be embarrassed to admit that I've been checking AC daily in anticipation for this? Lol. I know it won't magically fix the things I dislike about this device but hopefully it is a step in the right direction.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't use my camera a lot and I'm ok with it, so the camera improvements are just icing. I already get good battery life, so any improvement there would just be a cherry on top. The main reason I'm excited about this update is I made the decision I wasn't gonna root my phone until after the 5.1 update, so that is just around the corner.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about getting the M9. Does this update fix the android memory problems?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
I don't know of any memory problems with the M9. If you are talking about the ram problem the S6 and a some other devices have, the M9 doesn't have that issue.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Mercy. Not only did it take long to download, it took a while to install and then the optimizing of apps took 45 minutes. That is the longest I have ever seen that take. All said, from the point it starting downloading the update up to when the full install was completed, it took a total of right at two hours. Everything seems to be working and running fine though. I will test the camera when I get a chance and report on battery in a couple of days.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine just finished as well. Took forever! Optimizing apps took ages! I am noticing slightly better performance all around. Things seem a bit speedier and transitions seem smoother. Will test the camera in the next few days to see what I think of that.

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I slept through my update, so no idea how long it took but now it's up, it does appear to be noticeably more nimble opening apps. A smooth transition, glad for that.

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem and had to go to the lengths of reaching out to HTC for assistance because my phone locked. We cleared the cache and rebooted, so here is to hoping that fixes the problem. It doesn't appear as though many people are vocalizing their issues just yet, which surprises me.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't know of any memory problems with the M9. If you are talking about the ram problem the S6 and a some other devices have, the M9 doesn't have that issue.

The S6 thing is different, or magnified from the OS issue. Lollipop has memory leaks up to 5.1 or 5.1.1, from what I've come across. 5.0.2 made my N7 2013 so annoying to use, I quit using it til it updated to 5.1. I didn't notice it on 5.0 or 5.0.1 on either my N7 or Note 4. Luckily, everyone seems to be going from 5.0.1 to 5.1 and skipping 5.0.2.

Posted via the Android Central App

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The S6 thing is different, or magnified from the OS issue. Lollipop has memory leaks up to 5.1 or 5.1.1, from what I've come across. 5.0.2 made my N7 2013 so annoying to use, I quit using it til it updated to 5.1. I didn't notice it on 5.0 or 5.0.1 on either my N7 or Note 4. Luckily, everyone seems to be going from 5.0.1 to 5.1 and skipping 5.0.2.

No memory issues running 5.0.2 on the M9.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Help. I saw this posted but can't seem to find it now. Will someone please tell me what the additional step is for entering recovery mode. When at the screen with the red triangle, what is the button combination for completing the boot to recovery?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
It's in the OS, not device specific. You just may not notice. Unless HTC fixed it themselves... It's well documented though.

From what I read, not all devices suffer from it. I don't know if HTC fixed it or not, but I had no lag, stuttering, or freezing and could go days on end without needing to reboot the phone to release memory. I'm pretty sure there was no memory leak. I'm on 5.1 now and it is no different.