AT&T Note 10 (original and warranty replacement) will not update

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I know I mentioned the problem with my original Note 10 a while back but it was in a tangential thread, so I figured I'd start a new one...particularly since this has continued to happen with a replacement phone. So anyhow, my original AT&T Note 10 would never update, and after getting the runaround from AT&T and Samsung, I was finally told to go to uBreakiFix to have the software flashed. I did that, and they told me hopefully the updates would start occurring after that...and they did not. So I finally got a warranty replacement from AT&T today. And...same problem. I even tried setting it up as a brand new phone. Still on Android 9 and tells me the software is up to date.

I know some others have had a similar issue, but has anybody found a solution?? And I do not own (or have regular access to) a Windows PC, so Odin is not an option. (And Smart Switch does not solve problem either.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: AT&T Note 10 (original and warranty replacement) will not update

Try a new sim card and have it provisioned to your phones imei , some had success with that , if not nothing else but Odin which you say not a option. This been on going situation for Att /Samsung

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site

Try a new sim card and have it provisioned to your phones imei , some had success with that , if not nothing else but Odin which you say not a option. This been on going situation for Att /Samsung
As always, I appreciate you trying to lend a hand. I should have mentioned that I already tried the new sim card with first phone with no luck. So frustrated right now. I have spent hours upon hours dealing with customer service (and none of them seem to be familiar with the issue). Finally get the new phone figuring all will be well, spend the time to set it all up, and then the same problem.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

As always, I appreciate you trying to lend a hand. I should have mentioned that I already tried the new sim card with first phone with no luck. So frustrated right now. I have spent hours upon hours dealing with customer service (and none of them seem to be familiar with the issue). Finally get the new phone figuring all will be well, spend the time to set it all up, and then the same problem.
Your welcome! I understand your frustration, Samsung/Att reps always seem to be clueless when there many forums going way back filled up with this issue.
Have you had them provisioned the phone ?

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site

Your welcome! I understand your frustration, Samsung/Att reps always seem to be clueless when there many forums going way back filled up with this issue.
Have you had them provisioned the phone ?

Given the number of times they asked for my IMEI (with original and replacement SIM card), it is my assumption this was done. And if they didn't and it's a potential fix, they even more incompetent than I realized. I can't even contact customer support right now after having the problem continue on the warranty phone, because they say they are overloaded with calls/chats due to Coronavirus.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So they probably done it with orginal phone, when you have a chance to get through with still have them do with replacement also. At this point nothing else can really do . The replacement on andriod 9 also?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Nope I still haven't found a resolution. I've been having this update issue since my s8+. Smart switch doesn't work,changed Sims card didn't help, several factory resets were a no go, and I did warranty exchanges on my s8 & note 9 , got brand new phones and still no updates. Dealing with ATT and Samsung reps definitely did not help . Being transfered to several different people with several wrong ideas on what may be wrong is frustrating so I stopped calling. My only solution has been to ODIN ( I know you said you couldn't ODIN).

I still believe that one time I got a phone( the S8) from Best Buy is where my issues started. They jacked up my account somehow.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
So they probably done it with orginal phone, when you have a chance to get through with still have them do with replacement also. At this point nothing else can really do . The replacement on andriod 9 also?

The replacement is on Android 9. My original phone is on 10, but only because it was flashed at uBreakiFix a couple months ago. It's crazy to me that this is an issue that they can't figure out. I'll see what they can do once I can actually get into contact with someone, but I'm not hopeful. Again, appreciate you trying to help. And I know I'm not the only one I these boards who does.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The replacement is on Android 9. My original phone is on 10, but only because it was flashed at uBreakiFix a couple months ago. It's crazy to me that this is an issue that they can't figure out. I'll see what they can do once I can actually get into contact with someone, but I'm not hopeful. Again, appreciate you trying to help. And I know I'm not the only one I these boards who does.
Can you try safe mode while in it check for software update never had anyone try this , worth a shot . No problem , I know its frustrating.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site

Nope I still haven't found a resolution. I've been having this update issue since my s8+. Smart switch doesn't work,changed Sims card didn't help, several factory resets were a no go, and I did warranty exchanges on my s8 & note 9 , got brand new phones and still no updates. Dealing with ATT and Samsung reps definitely did not help . Being transfered to several different people with several wrong ideas on what may be wrong is frustrating so I stopped calling. My only solution has been to ODIN ( I know you said you couldn't ODIN).

I still believe that one time I got a phone( the S8) from Best Buy is where my issues started. They jacked up my account somehow.

Thanks for sharing your experience. A couple points I definitely want to speak to. First is the whole wrong ideas from customer service. One AT&T person tried to convince me it wasn't an AT&T phone because it wasn't purchased through them. Clearly that's flat out wrong considering the box, the branding, the AT&T (bloat) apps, etc. Second and related to that, the original phone was purchased at Best Buy. And my S7 was as well, which also required an update flashed (back when Best Buy had Samsung centers). I can't remember where my S8 came from and my Note 9 was purchased from Costco, but neither had update problems. You'd think if it were a Best Buy issue, the replacement would work, but clearly that seemed to have been an issue for you too, so I don't know...

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Can you try safe mode while in it check for software update never had anyone try this , worth a shot . No problem , I know its frustrating.

I tried this on the replacement phone earlier today and had no luck. It still said software was up to date. I imagine same thing would happen with my original phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I tried this on the replacement phone earlier today and had no luck. It still said software was up to date. I imagine same thing would happen with my original phone.
Yeah, most likely be same result:(
Take the Sim out , reboot the phone and try if not nothing else.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for sharing your experience. A couple points I definitely want to speak to. First is the whole wrong ideas from customer service. One AT&T person tried to convince me it wasn't an AT&T phone because it wasn't purchased through them. Clearly that's flat out wrong considering the box, the branding, the AT&T (bloat) apps, etc. Second and related to that, the original phone was purchased at Best Buy. And my S7 was as well, which also required an update flashed (back when Best Buy had Samsung centers). I can't remember where my S8 came from and my Note 9 was purchased from Costco, but neither had update problems. You'd think if it were a Best Buy issue, the replacement would work, but clearly that seemed to have been an issue for you too, so I don't know...
Well after the S8 I got my note 9 straight from Att and my note 10 came from Samsung and I still have the issue on both of those. That's why I was thinking it was Best Buy. Idk. It's all just weird.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site

Well after the S8 I got my note 9 straight from Att and my note 10 came from Samsung and I still have the issue on both of those. That's why I was thinking it was Best Buy. Idk. It's all just weird.

Weird and incredibly frustrating, as you know. I'm not disagreeing that it might be something due to Best Buy, since it seems to have happened twice after phones from purchased there from me. (I just had better luck with a couple others in between the two issues.)

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I know I mentioned the problem with my original Note 10 a while back but it was in a tangential thread, so I figured I'd start a new one...particularly since this has continued to happen with a replacement phone. So anyhow, my original AT&T Note 10 would never update, and after getting the runaround from AT&T and Samsung, I was finally told to go to uBreakiFix to have the software flashed. I did that, and they told me hopefully the updates would start occurring after that...and they did not. So I finally got a warranty replacement from AT&T today. And...same problem. I even tried setting it up as a brand new phone. Still on Android 9 and tells me the software is up to date.

I know some others have had a similar issue, but has anybody found a solution?? And I do not own (or have regular access to) a Windows PC, so Odin is not an option. (And Smart Switch does not solve problem either.)

If you have any computer (Mac or Linux) you can install a VM running a Windows 10 "trial" and use Odin. Just to give you an option.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
If you have any computer (Mac or Linux) you can install a VM running a Windows 10 "trial" and use Odin. Just to give you an option.

Appreciate the idea. My concern with that is it would not solve the issue long-term. Again, thanks for chiming in though!

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
The funny thing is how the customer service reps try to convince me that they're sure AT&T will fix this as they pass the message up the chain...despite the fact you can literally find pages and pages of others complaining on their community forums about the same thing with multiple Samsung models at least since the Galaxy S8.

It seems the only solution is to leave AT&T or leave Samsung. And don't really want to do either. Love my Note and AT&T is the best deal for me right now.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The funny thing is how the customer service reps try to convince me that they're sure AT&T will fix this as they passage the message up the chain...despite the fact you can literally find pages and pages of others complaining on their community forums about the same thing with multiple Samsung models at least since the Galaxy S8.

It seems the only solution is to leave AT&T or leave Samsung. And don't really want to do either. Love my Note and AT&T is the best deal for me right now.
Oh yeah they will pass the message alright

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
If you have a second phone or friends phone swap sim cards and then try the software update. The problem may be your mobile number. Sounds crazy but try it. Just a thought.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
If you have a second phone or friends phone swap sim cards and then try the software update. The problem may be your mobile number. Sounds crazy but try it. Just a thought.

Yeah, I have thought about that, but not sure if anybody close is on AT&T, and not exactly interacting with others given the current situation. Appreciate the suggestion!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards