Atrix 4G or Inspire 4G? Help Me Please!

Shad0w26

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok so, I currently have a BlackBerry Torch and I'm due for an update as of January. I completely HATE HATE my BlackBerry Torch (I wish AT&T had the Bold 9780 because I would be in love, but no).

Since the Atrix was announced, I was in love with the phone. I wanted it so BADLY. It had 4G (HSPA+), Front-Facing Camera (First phone on AT&T that does), hospot, and dual-core processor. I was in love.

But slowly I started falling, out of love with the Atrix. First it was discovered that it would be bootlocked (is that what it's called?). Major boo. One reason I want to come to the Android platform is because of it's "hackability". I like that users can customize the Android platform and make it better than the stock platform itself. BlackBerry can't do this and I don't think it will ever be able to do this.
Another major boo about the bootlock is that I won't be able to use a free hotspot application. I really wanted this so I could use my own Wi-Fi, especially in school. In my school, we are given laptops, but unfortunately, almost 80% of the internet is blocked (Games, Instant Messaging, YouTube, Facebook, etc.). I currently have the BlackBerry Unlimited Data Plan from "way-back-then" and it's perfect for the hotspot feature.

Second, I read somewhere that dual-cores aren't really necessary on Android just yet. The Android OS can't really take full advantage of the dual-cores as of now. I don't see what the point of having a dual-core Atrix unless your going to use the laptop dock, which I'm not (see below).

Third, the price. When the Inspire 4G was announced at only $99.99 (!!!!!), I was like :eek:. Now that the Atrix was announced at $199.00 and the laptop dock at $499.99 separate, I was like :confused:. There's no way I'm paying $500.00 for both the Atrix and Laptop dock at once, nor am I going to pay $199.99 for the phone and another $499.99 for the laptop dock.

Fourth, the release date. The Inspire 4G is being released on February 13th while the Atrix on March 6th. I really can't stand my Torch any longer. I was thinking of doing the "30 Day Trial" with the Inspire 4G, return it about a week or so before the Atrix comes out, and then buy the Atrix (because I will have the $99.99 back from the Inspire 4G and by the time the Atrix comes out, I will most likely be able to pull $99.99 from my weekly paycheck out again).

Now I'm debating whether I should buy the Inspire 4G or Atrix. One of my main, main concerns is the front-facing camera. I really want one to chat with my friends and family (especially when I go abroad). So what should I buy, the Inspire or Atrix? Also, will the Inspire 4G be able to video-record in 1080p in later updates as the Atrix is?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

I need desperate help :(.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
1. Why do you hate your Torch compared to a 9780?
2. Why do you hate your Torch in general?
3. Would you settle for using an app like PDAnet to tether your phone to your laptop instead of a mifi (at least until the Atrix or Inspire has been 'hacked')?
4. You mention the price issue, but would you be willing to pay $199.99 for the phone only?
5. Is the laptop dock crucial to your needs?

*0: Since you really want a front facing camera, and these are your two only choices you are considering, then go for the Atrix. (btw, should've put that consideration at the TOP of your post).

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
latest tech: atrix
front camera: atrix
hacking: inspire
price: inspire
screen: i think the atrix is higher res

better stock experience w/o launcher: inspire

both have "4g" and are great devices with 4.3" screens honestly you cant go wrong you dont need dual core yet and both will have 2.2 out the gate. just decide for yourself i say if your that torn buy the inspire use it till the atrix is out and try one in store if you like it better return the inspire

AndreaCristiano#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

both have "4g" and are great devices with 4.3" screens honestly you cant go wrong you dont need dual core yet and both will have 2.2 out the gate. just decide for yourself i say if your that torn buy the inspire use it till the atrix is out and try one in store if you like it better return the inspire

atrix may have latest tech but its locked up.
FFC only a big deal if you video call 24/7

also atrix 4 inch screen inspire 4.3
also without the laptop dock atrixs dual core means nothing really unless all you do is play nvidia games

so in conclusion Inspire better bargain and truly better phone when the smoke of the hype clears

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Actually better stock experience w/o launcher would be the Atrix because while Sense UI is actually an entire UI for the phone, Motoblur is mostly widgets now, unless you count the dock as part of it. So, once your remove both of the UI/skin, the one that would most resemble stock would be the Atrix.

Shad0w26

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
1. Why do you hate your Torch compared to a 9780?
2. Why do you hate your Torch in general?
3. Would you settle for using an app like PDAnet to tether your phone to your laptop instead of a mifi (at least until the Atrix or Inspire has been 'hacked')?
4. You mention the price issue, but would you be willing to pay $199.99 for the phone only?
5. Is the laptop dock crucial to your needs?

*0: Since you really want a front facing camera, and these are your two only choices you are considering, then go for the Atrix. (btw, should've put that consideration at the TOP of your post).

1. I hate the Torch because of the Touch Screen + Keyboard. I got the Torch because I hate on-screen keyboards. I though the touch screen + physical keyboard would have been a good idea for me. Now I find the constant flipping up of the phone to be annoying. I find myself using the on-screen keyboard now more than the physical keyboard. Also, at the time, the Torch was the only BlackBerry with OS6, Webkit Browser, and 512mb of memory.
The 9780 is the same as a Torch but doesn't have the touch screen.

2. I hate the Torch because it's a heavy phone, its OS sucks, the apps suck, the camera sucks.
[I made a thread about this on CrackBerry :http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/motorola-atrix-4g-574283/index2.html#post5957160

3. PDANet is not completely free. To have all of it's features you need to pay. I rather just have a rooted phone that people will actually release things with rather than the Atrix which will be locked and take longer to root.

4. I am willing to $199.99 but not now. I want an Android phone badly and the Inspire seems cheep and amazing phone.

5. One of the points of having this phone is the laptop dock.

Last edited:
Reactions: revo2001

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
1. I hate the Torch because of the Touch Screen + Keyboard. I got the Torch because I hate on-screen keyboards. I though the touch screen + physical keyboard would have been a good idea for me. Now I find the constant flipping up of the phone to be annoying. I find myself using the on-screen keyboard now more than the physical keyboard. Also, at the time, the Torch was the only BlackBerry with OS6, Webkit Browser, and 512mb of memory.
The 9780 is the same as a Torch but doesn't have the touch screen.

2. I hate the Torch because it's a heavy phone, its OS sucks, the apps suck, the camera sucks.
[I made a thread about this on CrackBerry :http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/motorola-atrix-4g-574283/index2.html#post5957160]

3. PDANet is not completely free. To have all of it's features you need to pay. I rather just have a rooted phone that people will actually release things with rather than the Atrix which will be locked and take longer to root.

4. I am willing to $199.99 but not now. I want an Android phone badly and the Inspire seems cheep and amazing phone.

5. One of the points of having this phone is the laptop dock.

Okay, so if you don't like on-screen keyboards, then wouldn't you prefer something like a Droid Pro instead? It has both a touch screen and a keyboard, and it is an Android phone AND it is out right now.

Yes PDANet is not completely free, but unless you need to access https sites all the time, it works just fine for you UNTIL someone manages to root the Atrix or Inspire.

But if you really just want a phone as soon as possible, then obviously the Inspire will be your choice since it comes out earlier, but I foresee you later not liking the fact that it doesn't have a front facing camera for your video chat needs and then your same dislike for on-screen keyboards.

Sure, one of the points of having the Atrix is the ability to connect to the laptop dock, but that still doesn't answer the question whether it will be CRUCIAL to you to have that laptop dock or not, in your decision to pick a phone.

Or you could wait for Samsung to announce their DroidPro like device in the coming months.

Shad0w26

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so if you don't like on-screen keyboards, then wouldn't you prefer something like a Droid Pro instead? It has both a touch screen and a keyboard, and it is an Android phone AND it is out right now.

Yes PDANet is not completely free, but unless you need to access https sites all the time, it works just fine for you UNTIL someone manages to root the Atrix or Inspire.

But if you really just want a phone as soon as possible, then obviously the Inspire will be your choice since it comes out earlier, but I foresee you later not liking the fact that it doesn't have a front facing camera for your video chat needs and then your same dislike for on-screen keyboards.

Sure, one of the points of having the Atrix is the ability to connect to the laptop dock, but that still doesn't answer the question whether it will be CRUCIAL to you to have that laptop dock or not, in your decision to pick a phone.

Or you could wait for Samsung to announce their DroidPro like device in the coming months.

I have AT&T. Im not switching carriers because of a phone and I'm not paying out-of-contract pricing. Like I said, I don't like touch screen keyboards, but now I find myself using the on-screen keyboard more than the physical keyboard. I've grown accustomed to the on-screen keyboard and it isn't as bad as it though it was.

It is my decision to pick the phone but I came on here to see what other people thought and what they were going to do.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have AT&T. Im not switching carriers because of a phone and I'm not paying out-of-contract pricing. Like I said, I don't like touch screen keyboards, but now I find myself using the on-screen keyboard more than the physical keyboard. I've grown accustomed to the on-screen keyboard and it isn't as bad as it though it was.

It is my decision to pick the phone but I came on here to see what other people thought and what they were going to do.

I see. Well, you have my responses, so do with it what you will. Stay in school, don't do drugs, and pay attention in class instead of playing games, IM, facebook, youtube, etc...:cool:

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. Atrix is better overall

More Stuff Atrix Has:
fingerprint scanner
hdmi output
5Hz/2.4Ghz Dual Band Wifi
1080p recording via update
motorola docks

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
im sorry i thought i read atrix was 4.3 as well

honestly the .3 isnt huge difference. and while you might consider the dual core locked up it is still the latest technology in smart phones. the inspire is the desire hd which is the same as the evo in many ways.

and blur is horribly laggy i never said which looked more stock i said better experience on the stock ui as in the one that comes preloaded not vanilla android because so far nothing comes close to vanilla. and i have yet to use a blurred device that didnt need a launcher to run smoother. yet every sense device running 2.2 is fast and smooth

but honestly neither is better because you can argue atrix is better for being dual core but inspire is better bargain. better is relative as to what you need and want. so while some will say inspire is better because its an htc or cheaper or time tested others says the atrix is better because of motorola dual core and new. neither is "better" thats while you will notice i did not say either is better. they both have great appeal to different users.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. Atrix is better overall

More Stuff Atrix Has:
fingerprint scanner
hdmi output
5Hz/2.4Ghz Dual Band Wifi
1080p recording via update
motorola docks

the fingerprint scanner is an interesting idea for hardcore corporate users but a password lock or pattern lock will protect most people.

the hdmi output is a great feature for those who use it.

the motorola docks are ok the webtop dock was a lot better at 150 but loses appeal at the 500 price point. the media dock isnt really special as you dont need it to use the hdmi port but helps.

TequilaGuy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Don't want to hijack the thread but a quick question about Inspire, Atrix and AT&T. I read somewhere that ATT will eventually role out LTE. Whenever that happens, will Atrix and Inspire be able to use LTE? If these phones will not use LTE and ATT is going to have it soon, these will become obsolete pretty soon

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Don't want to hijack the thread but a quick question about Inspire, Atrix and AT&T. I read somewhere that ATT will eventually role out LTE. Whenever that happens, will Atrix and Inspire be able to use LTE? If these phones will not use LTE and ATT is going to have it soon, these will become obsolete pretty soon

They do not and will never have LTE capability. Future devices will have LTE in 6-12 months.

Reactions: TequilaGuy

das8nt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
They do not and will never have LTE capability. Future devices will have LTE in 6-12 months.

6-12 months is probably true for the devices, but the actual roll out of the AT&T LTE network won't hit most places until later next year. By that time most people that buy one of these devices will be almost ready to upgrade again, just in time for the LTE.

Reactions: TequilaGuy

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
6-12 months is probably true for the devices, but the actual roll out of the AT&T LTE network won't hit most places until later next year. By that time most people that buy one of these devices will be almost ready to upgrade again, just in time for the LTE.

I am very surprised that the atrix did not come with LTE as a gimmick to compete with the Thonderbolt. They could have easily made the atrix future proof but they cheaped out once again.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

very true plus maybe by then they can figure out how to use true 4g data with a long lasting battery lol seriously our phones can do soo much but why cant these companies focus more on battery life and make it more efficient please! and i charge my device every night.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hebdo_Madaires