Atrix First Impressions/Reviews

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I am new to the ANDROID world! I am coming from a Blackberry Bold 9000. I absolutely LOVE this phone! It is SUPER fast. Very snappy. I haven't experienced any lags...still playing with the phone so I'll post as I go through this phone. Yay! So excited.

jaymoneyman

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
To really be blunt...I like the specs but not the phone..

Pros
Excellent battery Life- I had the Evo and it wouldnt last two hours with all the gaming and downloading and internet surfing and listening to music and BOOM dead... But the atrix survived a heavy load for a good 12 hours, it wouldve probably hit 15 if i hadnt put on the charger. from 8:00 am i woke up and used it nonstop like a phone crackhead and it was 30% around 6:00. and Juice Defender nearly doubled this...

Internet
The stock internet is supper fast...really. I havent even downloaded Dolphin or Skyfire. Atnt didnt even cut on their 4g but the dual-core makes the internet so fast. Flash runs as smooth as a Pc. I even played Facebook games on it. I gotta say...I'm quite impressed.

Processor
I love it!! Dual Core, 1 Ghz...Its a MultiTasking King. Ive had so much of apps running and it didnt slow down a bit. Ive had it for about a week and havent seen it lag or slow down. Run everything...It can handle it. And live wallpapers dont even run the battery that much...WHAT LIVE WALLPAPERS ALL DAY

But of Course it has its down side

Moto Blur
I feel so indifferent about MotoBlur. If I didnt get the Inspire, I wouldve probably loved this phone but Sense 2 rocks and im going back and forth thinking about gettin the Thunderbolt idk...I like touchwiz better than it

Screen
As you zoom into any picture it pixelates, really bad, the picture before you zoom in is good but if u make it bigger it gets ugly. I like 4.3 screens and coming from one, this small screen sucks

ATNT Restrictions
Yo cant sideload on Atnt and that has really pee-oad me off lately...Gameloft games are awsome and i have to wait til i use sideloading wonder machine to install every game I download. This is sooo impacting the decision to keep it.

i also dont have one pair of earphones i can use to talk on the phone. No earpiece headset mouthpiece work...I have to put the earphone in and talk with the phone close to my mouth which makes me miss the iphone...

Bottom line its the best phone aTNT have and the dual-core is worth it. A very strong phone best specs right now.. Its EVERYTHING you want in a phone but if HTC wouldve made it...I wouldve kept it gonna keep til bout a week before my contract lock... hapefully the sidekick 4g or LG 3D is relesed...

nomad005

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
As my first smart phone, I like it. As for people that have 3-4 smart phones already in the short time that Android been around... chill out, its a great phone, response time amazing, and easy to use.

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
i also dont have one pair of earphones i can use to talk on the phone. No earpiece headset mouthpiece work...I have to put the earphone in and talk with the phone close to my mouth which makes me miss the iphone...

Try the Entymotics HF2 as they work just fine with built in mic and will answer calls also.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Atrix Display

I spent several hours yesterday (Sunday) at a AT&T Retail Store with the Motorola Atrix. As you may know the phone display is a smidge under resolution to the IPhone 4- it lacked the "Punch" I thought the Display would or should have- is it because of Android 2.2? The dual core and Nvidia graphics accelerator should have given the Atrix a absolutely stunning display, it was ?Just Ok? display, but nowhere near the retina display of Apple. I am resigned or guessing to think that this may be a Android software thing-

The Battery time appears good, I ran the Motorola ?Flash Demo Site? about 9 times, ran Kobe Bryant?s ?Nike Black Mamba? 5 min Trailer sever times was all over the web, Huge Multi Media Sites, and I didn?t ding the Battery at all, which was very surprising-

There is no question the Phone is very fast, actually at this point, I?ve never held a faster phone in my hand, we downloaded Extreme Labs Speed test, ?Blink? it was done, actually initially I thought the download aborted- No such luck, Its fast-

So the Bottom line, The Display worries me. On the other Hand I'm hearing the Display on the Xoom is Gorgeous- but their running Gingerbread 3.0- I remember there was talk that Gingerbread required some very High Tech Hardware in place, Dual Core, Nividia ect- The Atrix is running Android 2.2-

Oops! I left one thing out-

The Sales rep told me the phone was ?LTE Ready?, when I asked what do you mean, he smiled and said all that?s required is a Sim Card Change Out, He said Both the Inspire and the Atrix were that way. After I got home I called AT&T and spoke to a Supervisor in Technical Services, who confirmed that dialog. I am very surprised, as none of the reviews have said that. There has been great debates over 4G, and articles that say the Atrix is but isn?t 4G, and cannot work on LTE-

1BadHEMI

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
To the above poster, I seriously DO NOT think that the LTE modem is built into the Atrix. If it is, it must be some super secret chip. The current modem thats in place only does HSPA+. Sorry...

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
The OS version has nothing to do with the screen. The pixelation you are seeing is because it is a pentile display.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

MrLee

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I jumped from the Captivate boat to the Atrix boat during lunch time...

Coming from the AMOLED screen, yeah the Atrix's screen isn't as vibrant and dynamic but I knew that going into it. It's not bad, in my opinion, just different for me. Text are easier on the eyes after playing with it for hours (mostly re-setting up my stuff and finding tones).

I did buy the AT&T's screen protector, and meh....it blurs out the clarity quite a bit. It's apparent when I'm viewing pictures I have taken.
Going to look for others, or maybe take it off all-together.

At first I was dreading the MotoBlur part...though I just sign up for MotoBlur to activate the phone, and leave it at that. Kinda cool that I can track my phone with MotoBlur. I'm using Lookout Mobile too, so that gives me 2 alternatives for GPS tracking..for whatever reason I may find myself using both *touchwood*

First thing I did, was to remove all widgets on the MotoBlur's launcher, switched to Launcher Pro (paid), and get back to where I was before. Installed my apps and started sideloading my other apps too.

Phone is indeed really fast. Have no complains on that front.
No complains on the build quality. Feels solid, albeit plastic-ish. I have a case for it, so it doesn't really bother me.

As for the camera, I have vignette (paid) but I have yet to play around with the pictures so far. Will do comparison with Vignette and stock camera in the pictures thread.

Most importantly, the GPS works...yes, warm and fuzzy inside too. The LED notification is a great addition too.

And most of all, great props to all developers at XDA and others who have expanded this phone's capabilities. Feels like they're just warming up. :)

bigc_13

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Most importantly, the GPS works...yes, warm and fuzzy inside too. The LED notification is a great addition too.

This is one of the things I'm most excited for when I get mine on Thursday, coming from a GT-i9000m that has never got a GPS lock

guillopr73

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Got my atrix for five days so far im extremely happy with it. Got it rooted and sideloading very easily following the forums instructions. Installed titanium backup and app planet without any problems. Got barnacle wifi tethering working and it is sweet
Just one touch to conect. Coming from a samsung cativate, i don't miss it at all. This Atrix
outperforms the captivate in a lot of ways especially when it comes to speed ,software ,touch response, and the widgets are way more usefull. I watch a lot of video and the screen works well. Not quite like samoled but after a few days you get used to it. Over all I feel like I can do what I want with this phone and I can't say the same for the captivate which made me feel frustrated by its performance.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I spent several hours yesterday (Sunday) at a AT&T Retail Store with the Motorola Atrix. As you may know the phone display is a smidge under resolution to the IPhone 4- it lacked the "Punch" I thought the Display would or should have- is it because of Android 2.2? The dual core and Nvidia graphics accelerator should have given the Atrix a absolutely stunning display, it was ?Just Ok? display, but nowhere near the retina display of Apple. I am resigned or guessing to think that this may be a Android software thing-

The Battery time appears good, I ran the Motorola ?Flash Demo Site? about 9 times, ran Kobe Bryant?s ?Nike Black Mamba? 5 min Trailer sever times was all over the web, Huge Multi Media Sites, and I didn?t ding the Battery at all, which was very surprising-

There is no question the Phone is very fast, actually at this point, I?ve never held a faster phone in my hand, we downloaded Extreme Labs Speed test, ?Blink? it was done, actually initially I thought the download aborted- No such luck, Its fast-

So the Bottom line, The Display worries me. On the other Hand I'm hearing the Display on the Xoom is Gorgeous- but their running Gingerbread 3.0- I remember there was talk that Gingerbread required some very High Tech Hardware in place, Dual Core, Nividia ect- The Atrix is running Android 2.2-

Oops! I left one thing out-

The Sales rep told me the phone was ?LTE Ready?, when I asked what do you mean, he smiled and said all that?s required is a Sim Card Change Out, He said Both the Inspire and the Atrix were that way. After I got home I called AT&T and spoke to a Supervisor in Technical Services, who confirmed that dialog. I am very surprised, as none of the reviews have said that. There has been great debates over 4G, and articles that say the Atrix is but isn?t 4G, and cannot work on LTE-

The phone is not LTE ready as it only supports HSPA+. However, ATT claims it does require a 4G SIM for the HSPA+ functionality. I used a SIM adapter and swaped from Iphone 4 ot the Atrix. Everything works fine and it even says H+ above the signal bars. I ran several speed tests and was getting about 2 mbs down. From what I have read though, Im not sure if thats the lack of a 4G sim card or just the speeds becuase of where I am at. I have read several posts that the speed boost from 4G is not impressive on ATT.

Andy Duchesne

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
love it

I have played with quit a few phones, and I find the quality of the Atrix to be great, nicer than my nexus 1, my samsung g S, and my HTZ Desire Z, although i find most HTC to be built well.

the speed is great

the screen is the best I have had better than my galaxy..the Galaxy was ver crisp and nice ..but sucked in daylight...the atrix doesnt

Khalsa4G

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey All,

New user to Android Central and to the Atrix. Came from a long list of all the iPhones but never been happier! Loving Android and how customizable it is vs. the iOS. Really enjoying the Atrix in terms of battery life and usability.

Looking forward to learning how to do all the fun androidy things everyone is talking about!

islandmagic

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I love the Atrix.. I was a iphone user for many years.. THis Blows the iphone out the water.. I love the notifation and the live widgets.... the only thing I have trouble with is I can not find a setting to sync my outlook folders I have to do this manual... the phone is fast and I am never going back to dam Iphone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webby