Auto Rotate Problem

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Verizon 32 GB Nexus 6, stock no root. 5.1.1. It won't autorotate. Display setting is set to autorotate and Accessibility setting is set to autorotate but it won't. Multiple on/off reboots with settings off and on. No help. Cleared system cache. No help. I downloaded Check My Android and it shows all sensors active and working normally. I downloaded Set Orientation and it won't change automatically. I can force it to landscape mode using the app but have to do it manually. The camera takes a picture in portrait and displays it either upside down or in landscape.

Anyone else with these problems? Looked on XDA and no real help there. 5.1.1 bug?

Othoric

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
This may sound odd, but I too have a Verizon bought and branded N6 and experienced the same issue. After extensive research I found that it is actually a physical problem rather than a software bug. And believe or not, the way to fix it was to simply hold the phone about 3 to 6 inches above a surface (like a table) and DROP IT FLAT WITH THE SCREEN UP. I know it sounds very weird, but I haven't had the problem come back since and obviously being dropped on its back from 6 inches won't damage a phone this well built.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Talked to Verizon tech support and re-set to factory with no help. Wouldn't even rotate in safe mode. They are overnighting me a new one.

Othoric

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Did you have it on an edge plan? Or purchase it outright? Just asking in case I have any problems and need to get a replacement.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
There are lots of problems with rotation on the Galaxy S6 and Edge forums. Most seem to relate to the accelerometer failing, possibly due to heating of the battery. I downloaded Sensor Kinetics and checked my wife's Galaxy S6 which is operating normally with the X, Y, and Z sensors. I then did the same with my Nexus 6 and the X sensor was stuck. I believe Samsung has come out with a software "fix" which switches some functions to the gyroscope. This gets their phones working to a degree with rotation, but some games rely on the accelerometer and thus don't work. This looks like a sensor failure problem due to heating adjacent to the battery, especially with quick type charging. The Samsung "fix" does not fix the accelerometer, which needs to be replaced. I would suspect that Motorola has purchased the same Invensense acclerometers and has the same problem.

Update: Got the new N6 and set it up. I had used Wondershare Mobile trans for my backup into my MacBook Pro. Used it before and it works well.

Last edited:

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't like screen rotation, what I always turn off. It is useless for me and not comfortable except whatching movies, youtube.

Gaurav Sood1

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Gave a nice few whacks onto my other hand. Screen bottom. It worked.

This may sound odd, but I too have a Verizon bought and branded N6 and experienced the same issue. After extensive research I found that it is actually a physical problem rather than a software bug. And believe or not, the way to fix it was to simply hold the phone about 3 to 6 inches above a surface (like a table) and DROP IT FLAT WITH THE SCREEN UP. I know it sounds very weird, but I haven't had the problem come back since and obviously being dropped on its back from 6 inches won't damage a phone this well built.

cyfcbs

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I'll be damned if that didn't fix it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Othoric said:

Brohat

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The short drop worked the first time but two days later I dropped it about two feet and now it is stuck in portrait. Browsers, camera app. won't rotate to landscape. :'(

maja82

Dec 5, 2017
Visit site

It definitely sounds odd. I was having the same damn issue. Because I was frustrated and didn't care, and after rebooting phone multiple times and no result, I dropped the phone at 6 inches or so. To my freakin' surprise, this actually worked.