Autocorrect is out of its mind?

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm loving my new Galaxy s7 Edge so far, but my main complaint is the autocorrect on the default keyboard... Is it just me or is it completely out of its mind with some of its automatic corrections?

I wish I could remember some specific examples from over the past week, but especially when typing someone's name, I could type a 5 letter word, and it automatically changes it to some 9 letter word that just happens to start with the same letter. Some of the words it autocorrects me to don't even seem to be actual words. And this is fresh out of the box, so it's not like it's learned a bunch of misspelled words from me.

Anyone else having this issue?

If it happens today (it probably will) i'll post some good (and funny but annoying) examples.

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
It's most likely because you had used that word before and saved it. When annoying words like that pop up, I long press the word and delete it completely out of the dictionary.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It could be. I never use default keyboards due to issues like this. I just use SwiftKey and that solves my issues :).

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I ALWAYS have to auto correct whenever I start a sentence off with a word ending with !!!! for example:
Yes!!! will autmatically change to I!!! I mean seriously???? Said no one EVER??? ANd yes, the biggest (and maybe the ONLY complaint) is the autocorrect on this. Have wanted to throw it through a window a few times.

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I ALWAYS have to auto correct whenever I start a sentence off with a word ending with !!!! for example:
Yes!!! will autmatically change to I!!! I mean seriously???? Said no one EVER??? ANd yes, the biggest (and maybe the ONLY complaint) is the autocorrect on this. Have wanted to throw it through a window a few times.

Whenever you have an auto correct issue it's because the USER at one point, SAVED it to be like that.

Long press the auto correct word in the middle of the screen, and delete it out of your dictionary.

Problem solved.

For example, I like texting my you as 'U'. You can save certain words to be autocorrected a certain way. The phone learns how you type as long as you know how to manage your personal dictionary.

Lance Redden

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Google keyboard is much better than the stock Samsung keyboard. If you don't like it. Swap it out. Beauty of Android. ✌

Posted via the Android Central App on S7 Edge

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
But I'm talking right out of the box. No user saved any of these funky words on here haha. Unless it's pulling dictionary/keyboard data from my old Note 4 (I didn't transfer any settings/stuff as I figured I'd be better off using this phone totally fresh, so I don't THINK it would have done that).

But some of the changes are really really weird, and even if it had transferred my saved words, there's no way I've ever typed some of this stuff haha.

Oh by the way, I found a great example today... The word "one" it always suggests i capitalize like ONE. Weird right? And I know about saving my own autocorrected words, but I never typed it all capitals like that, so I definitely never saved it to be like that.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Whenever you have an auto correct issue it's because the USER at one point, SAVED it to be like that.

Long press the auto correct word in the middle of the screen, and delete it out of your dictionary.

Problem solved.

For example, I like texting my you as 'U'. You can save certain words to be autocorrected a certain way. The phone learns how you type as long as you know how to manage your personal dictionary.

Negatory...this has not worked in my case. Wished it had been that easy

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Right, that's it's own separate issue (and a great feature). But this isn't that. Especially when we're talking a brand new phone out of the box. So weird...

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Negatory...this has not worked in my case. Wished it had been that easy

Let me clarify a little...: there is no "I!" to delete out of the dictionary, I'm pretty proficient in the autocorrect/dictionay/user settings and all that. I've found that taking autocorrect off completely has saved me from throwing any more tantrums.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm so mad at myself for not writing down the exact phrase, but today i typed the word "their" and I saw it on the screen t-h-e-i-r and when I hit space, it autocorrected it to "this house" (replace the word house with whatever it really was, because like I said I tried to keep it in mind what the exact phrase was, but it was "this _____" some other word). This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Why would it even think I was typing two separate words if there was no space between the letters? It's so weird. Oh, and it can't be the saved dictionary thing because then I typed their again and it didn't do it. So it's not a saved thing. It's just a totally random weird thing.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm so mad at myself for not writing down the exact phrase, but today i typed the word "their" and I saw it on the screen t-h-e-i-r and when I hit space, it autocorrected it to "this house" (replace the word house with whatever it really was, because like I said I tried to keep it in mind what the exact phrase was, but it was "this _____" some other word). This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Why would it even think I was typing two separate words if there was no space between the letters? It's so weird. Oh, and it can't be the saved dictionary thing because then I typed their again and it didn't do it. So it's not a saved thing. It's just a totally random weird thing.

This is exactly what's going on with me! I never posted because, lie yo're saying, it's sooooo random, and I didn't know how to explain it- it doesn't really have to do with spellcheck, and I don't know how to fix it, it's as if autocorrect on it's 6th tequila shot. I don't want to delete what it replaces the word with because it's not incorrect spelling, it's the WRONG WORD ALTOGETHER, right?
Just this morning, I typed "their" and it changed it to Thursday. I spelled their correctly, and it was the beginning of the sentence, I don't want to delete the word thursday out of my dictionary???

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving my new Galaxy s7 Edge so far, but my main complaint is the autocorrect on the default keyboard... Is it just me or is it completely out of its mind with some of its automatic corrections?

I wish I could remember some specific examples from over the past week, but especially when typing someone's name, I could type a 5 letter word, and it automatically changes it to some 9 letter word that just happens to start with the same letter. Some of the words it autocorrects me to don't even seem to be actual words. And this is fresh out of the box, so it's not like it's learned a bunch of misspelled words from me.

Anyone else having this issue?

If it happens today (it probably will) i'll post some good (and funny but annoying) examples.

I'm using Swype because of that very same issue!

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Alright sounds like I'm not alone at least. I wonder if there's any chance they'll eventually fix it with an update. I supposed I could always go with a 3rd party keyboard, but I'm a firm believer in the more stuff you install the more likely you'll eventually run into problems so I like to stay as stock as possible. Especially apps that are constantly running like a keyboard replacement.

In the meantime, next time I get a really funky one I'm gonna post it here haha.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I found this too after I had to switch due to Google Keyboard no longer working. Some of the suggestions were mind boggling.

Finding Chrooma pretty good now.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Not to bring up an old subject (although really, why not?) but today autocorrect changed the word SUPER (and yes I do tend to type SUPER in capital letters on a fairly regular basis when i want to really exclaim something haha) to SUPERANTISPYWARE... I can absolutely assure anyone who thinks it's user error that I've never typed the word SUPERANTISPYWARE let alone typed it in lower case haha. It also changed the word "road" as in "There's a wash on the side of the road" to "time"

I repeat. Autocorrect is out of it's mind.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante