Automatic connection to Android Auto and Spotify with Edge+ 2023?

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My prior phone connected automatically to Android Auto as soon as the USB cable to the car was plugged, and it automatically connected via Bluetooth to Spotify as soon as I started the car. With my new Edge+, neither Android Auto nor Spotify starts automatically, I need to press on the app on the phone to start either one. Is there some adjustment I can make so that they start automatically?
Thanks,
bill

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What device and Android version you had before this one ? Did you have to set that up that way? What car ?

With so many changes in privacy in newer Android firmware and AA app that could be the issue also

Reactions: J Dubbs

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Prior device was Samsung S9+ running Android 10. It was convenient to just sit in the car and have it connect automatically to Spotify, now I must take the phone out of my pocket and start Spotify manually, sometimes while driving. Any hope that AA will someday be able to run via Bluetooth? Plugging in the cable while driving is not fun and is dangerous.

It seems that, on several apps, the new Moto has a lot more ads than the old phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Prior device was Samsung S9+ running Android 10. It was convenient to just sit in the car and have it connect automatically to Spotify, now I must take the phone out of my pocket and start Spotify manually, sometimes while driving. Any hope that AA will someday be able to run via Bluetooth? Plugging in the cable while driving is not fun and is dangerous.

It seems that, on several apps, the new Moto has a lot more ads than the old phone.
You can try this Motorola device that makes your device AA wireless and connects with Bluetooth

Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter - Instant Connection Using Google-Licensed Bridge Technology from Smartphone to Screen - USB Type-A Plug-in - Secure Gel Pad https://a.co/d/7CboVYl

Reactions: billdz

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
You can try this Motorola device that makes your device AA wireless and connects with Bluetooth

Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter - Instant Connection Using Google-Licensed Bridge Technology from Smartphone to Screen - USB Type-A Plug-in - Secure Gel Pad https://a.co/d/7CboVYl
Wow, that is just what I need, thanks for the tip. I see there are several different adapters on Amazon, some of which are cheaper and higher rated, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2YMJ8BC/
Anyone used any of these?

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The price differentials are so funny. The Motorola you linked is $79. Other models that purport to do the same things are as high as $140. And they sell them (not Motorola) for as little as $17 on Ali and Temu.
No issues had it for a year now and Google recommends Motorola for AA been working flawlessly not sure those other brands and definitely would stay away from 17.00 version

Reactions: billdz

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
No issues had it for a year now and Google recommends Motorola for AA been working flawlessly not sure those other brands and definitely would stay away from 17.00 version
So, I bought the adapter. I plugged it into the car's USB port. I tried to pair it with my Moto and the phone gives me a 6-digit "Bluetooth pairing code". How do I enter this code? There is no way to enter it on the adapter. After displaying the code for a few seconds, the code goes away and the phone says, "Invalid code, device not paired."

Help, please!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So, I bought the adapter. I plugged it into the car's USB port. I tried to pair it with my Moto and the phone gives me a 6-digit "Bluetooth pairing code". How do I enter this code? There is no way to enter it on the adapter. After displaying the code for a few seconds, the code goes away and the phone says, "Invalid code, device not paired."

Help, please!
Been awhile since I set it up but pair it to your device on Bluetooth after blue light , this video should help at the 2:00 minute mark

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Been awhile since I set it up but pair it to your device on Bluetooth after blue light , this video should help at the 2:00 minute mark

Unfortunately, neither the video nor the manual says anything about a code. And I don't see anything about a code in the Bluetooth Settings on my phone.

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I deleted and reinstalled, no joy, same result, still asking for a code,

I tried the Moto and the the adapter on my wife's car, it worked immediately. So I assumed my car must be the issue. But then I tried the adapter and my old phone on my car, and it worked. The only combination that does not work is the one I need, Moto and adapter on my car. Guess I'll have to return the adapter.

PhoneBalone

Dec 18, 2023
Visit site
In case you didn't already get it figured out, and for other folks quick reference -

During Bluetooth pairing the 'code' display is to verify you are pairing to the 'right' device. Typically, the device will display a number, and you have to 'verify' that the same number is on the pairing request. The code is not manually entered - it's a check to make sure you are pairing with the device you think you are pairing with.

As to your original concern - starting a default app when you do a wired connect to a vehicle: there is a AA screen on the phone under 'Connection Preferences' where you set the actions to take, including what apps to display and in what order. There is a toggle on whether to automatically connect to an unknown car. I'd recommend setting this to OFF if you use rental vehicles or plug in to charge in friends' vehicles - keeps you from leaving too much PII in too many places. The first time one connects the phone with a given car, there is also 'share contacts' - likewise, be selective...
Among the options is 'start music automatically' as well as 'Start AA automatically' , and other options for the specific connection including things like assistant activation. Also, some of this will depend on the car's infotainment. The above is based on Ford Sync 3, latest available update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter