Backup/Restore Question

Se7enth Sinn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I've factory restored my Droid 2 times so far but I'm a little confused about the Google backup/restore of apps and settings. The first time I factory reset my Droid and reloaded with my gmail account all my apps, settings, bookmarks etc we restored. I just had to re-enter my user names and passwords... However, when I factory reset and restored my Droid yesterday nothing came back. I had to redo all my setting and re-download all my apps but It did remember my purchased apps though. Anyone know why I didn't get a full restore the 2nd time?

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
I have had the same thing happen.. Once it restored every thing on a new phone. Then factory reset cleared everything except purchased apps. New phone, reinstalled about 1/3 of the apps with no real rhyme or reason as to which ones...

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you back up your app's using Astro which is a free app in the market just incase you lose you app's. Its much easier to download them from you sd card then the market.

Se7enth Sinn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you back up your app's using Astro which is a free app in the market just incase you lose you app's. Its much easier to download them from you sd card then the market.

OMG!!! I didn't know you can backup apps with Astro! It's a freaking free app lol. I tell ya, some of they free apps should be at least .99 cents and most of the paid ones should be free.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
my guess is something to do with the modified 2.1 rom you installed. Did you reactivate your gmail on 2.1? If so, it possibly is buggy and cleared yoru 2.0.1 settings or something when it saw 2.1, then when you went back to stock it failed.

fyi - for me, i backup using astro as well. it doesnt backup private apps of course. only issue i saw was on one factory reset, i reinstalled all from astro - but when i went to the market -> downloads, it no longer listed any of the non paid apps. I only tried this once so maybe it was a fluke. Wasn't sure it was caused by reinstalled through astro or if it was the same symptom of this post, where on factory reset, the google backup synch fails to remember everything like market apps downloaded.

Se7enth Sinn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
fyi - for me, i backup using astro as well. it doesnt backup private apps of course. only issue i saw was on one factory reset, i reinstalled all from astro - but when i went to the market -> downloads, it no longer listed any of the non paid apps. I only tried this once so maybe it was a fluke. Wasn't sure it was caused by reinstalled through astro or if it was the same symptom of this post, where on factory reset, the google backup synch fails to remember everything like market apps downloaded.

I bet that's the downside of backing up your apps using Astro. When you reinstall from Astro it treats your apps as an out of Market Source, so you will never see them in Martket>Downloads which means you wont know when there is an update nor will you be able to download. You will have to uninstall the backup app then re-download from the Market. unless i'm wrong?

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
well, the thing is that I was under the impression that google stored which apps you've downloaded in the cloud, so if you used same gmail account again, it would find them. maybe it only stores the paid apps in the cloud. I know in one of my restores, after putting in my gmail account again, it automatically downloaded and installed about 40 apps, none of which were paid, so it has this info somewhere it seems, just hasn't been consistent.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp