Basic Smartphone for Hubby under $150

tori729

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Looking for a basic smartphone for the hubby. Here are the basic things he wants:

• Under $150 (used probably, $175 max)
  • 5 inch screen
  • Not a lot of bloatware
  • Verizon unlocked
  • Headphone jack

Things that don't matter as much:

• Processor/speed - just need for basic use
  • Camera quality - anything will be better than what he has now!

I'd love to get him a Pixel 1 like I have but they're still a bit pricey.

I looked into Motos but my sister in law has had hugely bad experiences with her Play and they seem to have tons of problems so I don't know that I want to go down that road and support a crappy company.

Looking at Galaxy S7s because of price and past good experience w/ them but most of them for sale are so old that they all have problems already. Could do S8 but bloatware is a big thing hubby doesn't want.

I feel like if I'm going to go older/used I need removable battery as well but then I don't know where to turn. I know there are lots of options but they all seem to have problems haha.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Forget removable battery, unless you want used or refurbished. (Used is "who knows" and refurbished can be a phone that was returned within the 15 day return period - but got dropped into water or otherwise damaged in some way that won't show immediately. They don't "refurbish" them, they check them. If they work, they're "refurbished". If not, they get sold as junk [the gold on the contacts inside is reclaimable].)

A Pixel 1 would probably be your best bet (not the Verizon model, that's all kinds of locked, but the Google model), but finding one new for under $200 is probably impossible. A 64GB Nexus 6 might be doable, if you can find one new.

tori729

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I've had success with buying used from Ebay but I don't buy from the big box cell phone marketers; I buy from people selling their old phones.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had success with buying used from Ebay but I don't buy from the big box cell phone marketers; I buy from people selling their old phones.

Ebay has Pixel 1 32GB for around $150-$170. You just have to be a bit patient. They will be used but still work good.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if you could buy the same phone as you have for him! I'm sure that when the Pixel 3 comes out (fall, I believe), the original Pixel will be even less expensive. So waiting a little while longer, if you can, could also be an option.

Have you considered any of the Honor smartphones? The Honor 6A is less than $200, and the 7X would be a great option if it was found at a cheaper price (perhaps used). Of course,nine would have to check if it has Verizon band capability.

Keep us posted on what you decide!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeanetteSchweim