Battery Care

nomad005

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Should I let the battery run all the way out before recharging it? I read somewhere that you should do it with lithium ones so they can recalibrate for the overall charge.

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Cycling the battery is always a good idea. It improves the longevity of the battery.

I think when I get the phone, I'll cycle through the stock juice that the phone already has before doing a full charge; it probably won't take too long from according to what I've been reading. Hopefully after that, the battery should be optimized for normal everyday consumption. But that's just me.

Reactions: nomad005

sw33ndawg

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Should I let the battery run all the way out before recharging it? I read somewhere that you should do it with lithium ones so they can recalibrate for the overall charge.

YES! This is good to do if you want to improve your battery. I'm doing full drains and full charges for at least the first week. After that I'll do at least one full empty every week to maintain it. It greatly increases battery life and duration.

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the general gist of most if not all electronics, is to charge when in the red or even when being notified. Letting it die is probably not a problem; more so an inconvenience though; the device will probably automatically put itself on standby anyway.

Charging the phone is like feeding ourselves. You eat when you're hungry. Eating when you're not hungry is generally what most Americans do anyhow (guilty as charged) which leads to weight gain in most individuals. So feeding/charging the phone when not needed may not be so great in the long run.

Reactions: JusticeCalibur

Brademcee

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the general gist of most if not all electronics, is to charge when in the red or even when being notified. Letting it die is probably not a problem; more so an inconvenience though; the device will probably automatically put itself on standby anyway.

Charging the phone is like feeding ourselves. You eat when you're hungry. Eating when you're not hungry is generally what most Americans do anyhow (guilty as charged) which leads to weight gain in most individuals. So feeding/charging the phone when not needed may not be so great in the long run.

Dude your comparison is the best I have ever heard. Not entirely accurate but close enough!

Reactions: ECghostie

Francisftw

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been having really bad battery problems since ive had the phone. Should i keep cycling the phone for like a week before i do all that factory reset crap or even exchange it for a new one. I would take it out fully charged and use it for about ten minutes then be around 80%.

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
you don't need to "cycle" li-ion polymer batteries. cycling only applies to nickel-based batteries (NiMH, NiCd, etc)

lordratner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
you don't need to "cycle" li-ion polymer batteries. cycling only applies to nickel-based batteries (NiMH, NiCd, etc)
Thank you.

The only big care tip for li-ion batteries, is long term storage is best done at around 40%. Other than that, they are designed to be low maintenance.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
For those that don't understand how a Li-Ion battery works, here is a good lesson:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

It is not recommended to fully discharge your battery ever. This will actually shorten the life of your battery considerably. As one person commented, these are not NiCad batteries.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I know the thread is kind of over, but I seriously think this information should be stickied somewhere in general (if it's not already). I am so tired of people asking if they should completely drain their batteries when they get their phone and everyone jumps in and says "Yup you better!". No you better not, actually. This is a common misconception these days...back in my Crackberry.com days hanging around the Bold 9000 forum I thought these posts only occurred in there, but I guess they're everywhere for cellphone forums huh.

The reason this information is so confusing is because, years ago, it was always a good idea to "cycle" your electronics' batteries. But this is extremely outdated information, and for some god forsaken reason it is still lingering around the internet and being passed down from family member to family member or friend to friend everywhere, everyday.

and

Thank you.

The only big care tip for li-ion batteries, is long term storage is best done at around 40%. Other than that, they are designed to be low maintenance.

and

For those that don't understand how a Li-Ion battery works, here is a good lesson:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

It is not recommended to fully discharge your battery ever. This will actually shorten the life of your battery considerably. As one person commented, these are not NiCad batteries.

are correct. PLEASE READ these quotes.

Sorry to OP and anyone else that gathered the wrong information from this thread. :\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reality3020