Battery Drain on Note 9 suddenly

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Or a bad 3G/4G signal at your place... I mean, just because you have 5 bars doesn't mean the signal is perfect. There's more to the story (just ask any T-Mobile user in apartment buildings).

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have the snapdragon version, 128 model. At night I turn off all data related and auto sync. I leave AOD on. It only loses like 3 to 5 % if that. I last nearly the entire day and ha e data, auto sync, location on. I often connect bluetooth through the vehicle and sometimes a bluetooth keyboard. Have had mine since Aug 22. Have the unlocked model straight from Samsung

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Okay, my note 9, exynos, Australia, has also caught this battery drain bug 😡

The device is three weeks old, and the battery drain started yesterday.

Yesterday it was blackberry hub+ services, and so today I installed Samsung email, and deleted blackberry hub.

And guess what, Samsung email is chewing through the battery.

The phone was fully charged at 7am ish this morning and was at around 35% by around 1500 this afternoon. So, I recharged, and it's still going berserk!!!

I've deleted caches, and data, and optimised apps and and and.....

For some reason, optimised email won't last, it keeps flipping back.

Anyway, this issue is real, and a pain in the ***!

Attachments

• 5471.jpg
    5471.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
So, from reading this thread, it seems there's no consistency as to what app, or system component is causing this drain.

Whilst it appears to be different for each of us, the end result is the same, battery drain.

And nor is it country dependent, or telco dependant.

This is a real issue and apparently is system related.

Time Samsung got notified, I reckon 🤔

M_AC

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Got my exynos Note 9 on UK launch date, gave my Note 8 to my better half. Battery was very impressive until I had a Samsung update. I use dual sims, both capable of LTE/4G.

I undertook the following to resolve my battery issues:

1)Wiped cache by 'press and hold volume up, Bixby and power' method.
2)Settings, in developer options, turned off 'Keep Mobile data turned on'.
3)Settings, Connections, Mobile networks, turned off VoLTE Calls.
4)Settings, Connections, Mobile networks, Sim 1 and SIM 2 were both set to auto connect, I left SIM 1 as LTE/3G/2G (auto) and turned SIM 2 to 3G/2G (auto).

The above has dramatically improved my battery life. Before the changes my battery was 5% with a days usage with about 3hrs SOT. I now have 1.75 days usage with 4.25hrs SOT and still 20% battery life remaining.

I know everyone's usage is different and I don't know how these changes would affect others, all I know is that it's made a big difference to me.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So, from reading this thread, it seems there's no consistency as to what app, or system component is causing this drain.

Welcome to the forum thread on every single phone ever released

Luckily my battery life has been really good so far.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
lol, I've never struck it before, and I've been using mobile phones since the year 2000.

And, I do think this is a systems issue, them's the breaks

I hate doing a hard reset, but sometimes that is the best/cleanest way to verify apps, etc. Trying other adjustments first is logical, but if nothing else helps ... If it were me and I had the time, I’d factory reset and manually add apps back.

revolutiones

Sep 15, 2018
Visit site
I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is going on. I was getting 6 hours or more usage for screen on time, and now my battery is draining pretty fast on it's own. Here is my battery usage from today with very little use. Just 1 hour of screen usage. Android System seems to be the biggest issue. Any ideas what I can do with that?

Well i was going through like this issue but not this severe. I was getting around 4 to 5 hours of screen on time but nothing like people were posting on my note 9. Basically the standby time was ****. My battery use to be 45% when i reached home at around 5 pm. And the screenon time was around 5 hours but not a full day battery or as people said that when theu went to sleep they still had around 20% left. Tried everything from background things to deleting apps but still the same. Then i factory reset my phone and didnt restore the phone to my baxkup. Not even to google restore or Samsung restore. But as a new phone with any restoring. Now after that everything setup i am actually quite happy and with everything on the battery takes some time to drop down. Previously it was a continuous drop of 1% after like every 4 to 5 mins if i am using it or not using it. Try this magbe this will help you..

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Something seems to happen and goes wrong with the cache partition during an upgrade, during a restore,, with 100 apps being downloaded or restored. All those temp files being written and patched.

Nuking the system and not restoring says to me the stock vanilla system (software) seems fine . Throw in 60 apps, user data, and patch everything.... and it all goes south. Corrupt. Apps tripping over apps and system.

???

I wish I could enable Clear Cache from Settings without needing a "3-finger salute" on startup.

DatsyukianDeke

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Well i was going through like this issue but not this severe. I was getting around 4 to 5 hours of screen on time but nothing like people were posting on my note 9. Basically the standby time was ****. My battery use to be 45% when i reached home at around 5 pm. And the screenon time was around 5 hours but not a full day battery or as people said that when theu went to sleep they still had around 20% left. Tried everything from background things to deleting apps but still the same. Then i factory reset my phone and didnt restore the phone to my baxkup. Not even to google restore or Samsung restore. But as a new phone with any restoring. Now after that everything setup i am actually quite happy and with everything on the battery takes some time to drop down. Previously it was a continuous drop of 1% after like every 4 to 5 mins if i am using it or not using it. Try this magbe this will help you..
I think I am going to do this. Do you think it's ok to just backup than restore messages, and settings? Or just re-do everything.

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Okay, so last photo before I charge up. This time there's 56% used by described apps, and 26% by unknown apps / processes.

Bear in mind that i still haven't re-loaded stuff like email, or always on display etc etc

Edit
Samsung push services isn't showing at the bottom of the pic, it's 1%.

Attachments

• 5536.jpg
    5536.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 98

Riduanua

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I did have this same issue and was so frustrated after doing 4 factory resets. Finally decided to do a factory reset and set it up as a new phone without restoring any backup from Google backup or Samsung and now the battery life is amazing.
So the culprit is the restoring.
Simply set it up as a new phone and you should see great result in terms of battery drain

GrumGrum

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all this is a very useful post! I have the same issue with my newest Note 9 (upgraded to the 512GB as I ran out of storage in the first week! Plus the extra 2GB ram made it more future proof for me.)

I have noticed the drain and have attempted some of these fixes would be good to see if the android system is still copying info over from a previous backup like the iPhone does for the first week once restored.

My battery life and RAM usage was a lot better on the first note 9 I setup as new to this one where I restored and also restored part of an iCloud backup.

I've wiped the cache and the play store/services cache and left everything else as is, fingers crossed it resolves but might do the factory reset and start from scratch again if it means the battery life will be better.

I am also wondering if the dual SIM usage has some bearing on this as I didn't have that or use that on my 128 version.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
my battery life is awful. I can't get a day out of mine with heavy usage. it's ridiculous. I've tried wiping cache 3 times restarting my phone. device maintenance. nothing works