Battery Drain on Note 9 suddenly

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you detail how you cleared that data? Did you just go through settings/apps/clear cache?

Yup, Settings/Apps/Show System Apps/ find Play Services and Play Store, clear cache/data there.

BUT it's worth noting that this was because I was having bad battery to begin with (getting worse battery life than my S9+ with similar daily usage and locations). IF you have good battery at some places but not at others (like B.Diddy says), then this might not do it and could be more related to signal strength and/or location services. I'd only go with my suggestion if the phone went from good to bad on a similar usage/location pattern as before.

Peter Evans9

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Have a look at settings/Apps

Scroll to Samsung find my phone.

Used 27% of my battery since last charge.
Doesn't show up in Battery settings at all.
Not at app but built into the settings.
Disable all permissions.
Might help? Just done it myself. Waiting to see.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My battery was incredible until I did a system update three days after I bought the phone now it's just barely above average. Has anyone else noticed their battery draining faster since you've upgraded the phone's software?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My battery was incredible until I did a system update three days after I bought the phone now it's just barely above average. Has anyone else noticed their battery draining faster since you've upgraded the phone's software?

Mine was doing that 'bad' battery since the first update, so I took the plunge and cleared Play Services cache/data. Because of other issues I also cleared Play Store data and not sure which caused it, but I went from 3h SOT to 6-8 on a normal day. PITA, though, some apps (and my Wear OS watch) got unlinked and had to re-set up stuff like that or Smart Lock, but it's been great after that.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Have a look at settings/Apps

Scroll to Samsung find my phone.

Not at app but built into the settings.
Disable all permissions.
Might help? Just done it myself. Waiting to see.

Would denying permissions then hinder if a person ever needs to find their lost or stolen phone ?

Can you please log into your account on another device to see if you can still find your phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can't. Disabling anything related to that component will render functionality useless. However, you still have similar options through Google's device manager (unless you disable that too).

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
For me, there are several system-oriented apps (including Find My Mobile) that are all listed in the Apps section as using the same amount of battery charge (for me, they're all 11%). My best guess is that each of those apps is redundantly reporting the total used by Android system services, and not the amount used by that app itself.

System-level apps and services are very well optimized these days and do not cause major battery drain. Disabling them hobbles your phone for no discernable benefit. Moreover, disabling system apps sometimes backfires and causes significant extra battery use.

In my view, it's best to leave the system apps alone. If your phone gets poor battery life (but is ok in Safe Mode), the problem is likely one of your own apps, not a system app. Good battery life on this phone does not require disabling any of its basic features.

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You have some good advice already so not going to rehash. Something I found was mine drop quite a bit and after poking around, noticed that my "auto-brightness" was set extremely high. I was wondering why the phone screen was so bright and beautiful! If you mess around with the brightness levels and have them higher for even a little bit, it takes it form there and it will drain much more. Turns out it "learns" your habits although you can reset it from that screen as well. Might make a difference.

jayk82

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to keep my Android System from chewing up so much battery?? Or is this fairly normal?
50cbf179c7aaee459c036c26449f866d.jpg

kajam

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue went from 7-9 hours of screen use to 2-4 hours. I didnt remember changing any settings or installing any new spp

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180901-160345_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180901-160345_Settings.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20180907-032520_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180907-032520_Settings.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

kajam

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured what is causing it. Last 4 days I noticed the left side of the phone started to get warm to the point that become annoying because I dont use case, beside the battery drain. Today I had bad signal at home for some reason so I turned wifi calling on and left it on all day. Now the phone back to normal temp. and battery drain stopped although that I didnt use wifi calling at work. And I did turned wifi calling off last week because it was on by default.

Last edited:

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing the same thing now on my Note 9. Nothing changed that I'm aware of but Android system is using a TON of juice, last check was at 45%(!!!!) compared to 38% from screen on time of which I have 6 hours, but as you can see I've had to plug it in several times to get it to get through the day.

I first noticed it this morning. Last night it charged to 100% before I had fallen asleep so I took it off the charger and woke up to just over 70% left. It used close to 30% DOING NOTHING.

Baffled....??!!?!?!???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180910-225654_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180910-225654_Settings.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 75

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
What helped me:
Wipe cache
Turn off AOD
Turn off Edge panel and lighting

Not sure what or why. Phone is week old. Thought give it 4 days to settle in.

ClyssaN

Sep 12, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

"Problem" Found.

During the night (7-9 hours) lost between 15%-20%.

Tried all recomendations, clear cache, wipe cache, safe mode, factory reset, etc etc ... but the problem persist.

The problem: Network mode

Settings:
- 9 hours stand by with always display off, wifi off, bluetooth off, mobile data ON

If it's on LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) the drop is 15%-20%. Network changes between 4G and 4G+. It tried in my house and work place, the same happends. The network signal is very good.

If it's on 2G only the drop is 3%-4%.

Nothing i can do, i thing the Exynos is the problem here. During the night i just put on 2G.