Battery Draining Very Quickly Under Normal Load

icu222much

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I just purchased a brand new non-rooted LG G5 (Oreo) and noticing that the battery extremely fast. I have installed a few apps on my phone (Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Line, Skype, WeChat, Whatsapp, and Nova Prime) and noticed that my battery is at 20% by the end of the day. Similarly, when I am performing the same usage on my 2 year old Huawei Honor 5X, my battery would be at about 60% by the end of the day.

My typical usage of my phone would be: social media messages (Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, WeChat), read articles on Chrome, check road conditions on Google Maps.

I first thought I had a defected phone/battery so I disabled my data/wifi for 12 hours and noticed that the battery only dropped by about 3%. I figured that this is fairly conclusive that the battery problem is coming from one of my apps trying to access the Internet.

I installed Wakelock Detector Lite. After ten hours the app said that WeChat has a wakelock trigger of 80 times. The next app would be com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox at 35 times (I'm not sure what this is as I do not use the Google Quick Search Box widget). I have just uninstalled WeChat to see if it makes a difference.

I also looked at my battery usage (under Settings) which said that Chrome consumed the most battery (at 10%), while the next apps were Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat at 3%, 2%, 1%. Note that I have the brightness of my screen set to 50%.

I have noticed that the battery seems to be draining quite rapidly while and shortly after I use the phone.

My questions is what should the next steps be to isolate why my battery is draining so rapidly?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How's your cell signal? If the signal is poor, that can drain the batttery pretty quickly.

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.