Battery draining while charging?

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So, for months now I would randomly get this issue (about a couple times a month) and I thought my battery was defective. So I bought a new one and I'm still having this problem. I've been running the standard IHO rom for a while now and have continually been updating. No idea what is causing it...

I caught it doing it the other day...this is what it looks like -

8IyaH.jpg

See how it actually starts draining it faster while "charging" than it was draining not charging? Anyone else ever encounter this?

I have to reboot it and sometimes keep it in the "off mode" and let it charge that way to snap it out of draining. If I let it die completely before doing this then sometimes I'm afraid it won't turn back on!

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Try Charging in recovery, and also try a different Wall port. It could even be that your phone is using more power than your charger. Try a different charger. :D I use the USB once that plug into the wall.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
-Are you charging via the wall charger or a usb port on a PC?

-Are you using the original stock charging cable that came with your OV?

-Could you grab a logcat and post it to pastebin when this happens (a dmsg would be helpful as well).

I have heard of another report of an issue like this, but only one. I do not know if it is a software bug, or an issue with the hardware charging system. So please, the more detailis and logcat/dmsg you can provide, the easier it will be to track down the cause of your issue. ;)

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
you should buy a new charger. something similar like that happen to me... turned out the old charger was only charging half of the full charge, compare to the new charger.:)

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is what was happening to me when my stock USB wall charger was 'dying'.
there have been several reports of the stock charger becoming useless over time.
I suggest buying a new charger, but NOT a 'wireless' brand charger from Walmart, they cause the phone to severely overheat while plugged in, and render the heat sensitive touch screen useless while plugged in.
I found that kyocera wall chargers are a very good replacement, and cost effective. Or if the USB is a must have, go with an LG USB wall charger replacement.

I3ig Al

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

-Could you grab a logcat and post it to pastebin when this happens (a dmsg would be helpful as well).

I have heard of another report of an issue like this, but only one. I do not know if it is a software bug, or an issue with the hardware charging system. So please, the more detailis and logcat/dmsg you can provide, the easier it will be to track down the cause of your issue. ;)

Hey Jerry, im not the OP but I have had this happen as well and Thought i would throw in a bit more detail.

Charging from the USB port on my xbox 360 while it is on and playing games.

Currently running Harmonia 2.03, and im fairly certain it happened with 2.0 as well, but not 100%.

phone was at 38% charge since i was at the xbox already i plugged it in there with a spare stock cable, and ~30min later when I checked for texts, it said "charging, 22%".

after i disconnected and rebooted phone, then plugged back in, it was charging fine. I am going to do a full charge and battery stat wipe to get a fresh start, and if you give me some instruction on how to do a logcat/dmsg i will be sure to grab that next time i see it happen.

Reactions: JerryScript

integra94

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
The xbox 360 usb ports are only supplied a certain amount of power so using more than 1 at the same time greatly reduces power supplied.And even if thats not the case just keep in mind that the usb ports aren't really designed for charging anything other than certain microsoft devices and compared to a lot of those, phone charging sucks the juice especially when ur cpu is working hard compared to,lets say,a flash drive.

But when u rebooted u could have possibly kill a lot of background services,thus reducing strain and power consumption allowing it to use some power to charge and not just running the cpu or other phone functions.

But someone please correct me if im wrong

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Blarf talked about this before. He upped some value iirc so whent he phone is plugged into a computer it will request a bit more power than if plugged into a wall charger. He also determined the cable used makes a difference. His universal usb cable wouldnt charge the phone as well as the supplied LG one. Plus if you have one with that round thingy mabob (sorry cant remember the proper name) it will limit your ability to charge.

Anything but the wall charger, a computer, and official LG car charger will not charge the phone as well. So using a xbox or any other powered usb connection will be limited to the devices total voltage and maH output.

Edited to add---------

The stock usb charger is 5.1v .7a anything less than those values will not give proper charging input to the system. I think the system requests more depending on what type of charging it senses. I know if I plug my Optimus V into the car charger it will discharge while using the gps but if I use the usb output from my headunit it will stay more on the charging side than discharging.

Last edited:

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

No I never got an official cable...bought my phone used. However I was using what I would assume would be a high quality cable (was from my htc g2) and was using the htc wall charger.

This has happened though with various cables and chargers, usually they are more than powerful enough to give the phone the charge it needs. (I've used weak chargers before and these are stronger) It says it's 5V 1amp

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Try this next time you're around 50% battery plug the phone in. Let it charge for a little bit like maybe five minutes. Then pop the back cover off and pull the battery. It should kick you to a screen saying to put the battery back in. While holding the power button remove the charging cable and hold the power button for about 30 seconds after that to completely discharge the capacitors in the phone. Now lay the phone down and go do something for about 15 minutes with the battery still out of the phone and no cable plugged in.

That is to insure the phone loses all the juice that could be built up. Now put the battery back in. Plug the phone in and power it up. Once it is fully booted reboot it to recovery and using CWM delete the battery stats file. Reboot the phone and let it charge all the way up.

It is not necessary to delete your bat stats file every day but once in a while it doesnt hurt at all. What I just had you do should reset the chip in the phone that monitors the battery. Sometimes with multiple flashes or even not flashing at all it can get out of sync with the phone. Causing crazy charge cycles and bogus battery readings.

colonelcack if this doesnt fix your issue I think you just have a wonky phone that like to mess with you.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Wiping Battery Stats, does that really help?

Also, Offline charging, does it charge slower, or faster? My phone charges so slow when offline. :confused:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Wiping bat stats will cost any corrupted data being stored and let a fresh new file be created.
It's all about getting fresh new data flowing.

Offline charging is suppose to be faster irrc. It's because nothing is running. Your phone should charge quicker when turned off.

Vroom Vroom

Lisa Ammann

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey Eollie,

Do you think what you suggested below for the optimus cell phone would be a reasonable thing to try on a google nexus 7 tablet having similar issues? I've tried several things suggested around the internet on the google nexus forums with no results. I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing and I am nervous about pulling out the battery while it is still plugged in. Don't want to damage it or shock myself if it is different than doing this with the cell phone. oh and does my device need to be rooted in order to use CWM to delete the battery stats file? Mine is not. Thanks in advance.

"Try this next time you're around 50% battery plug the phone in. Let it charge for a little bit like maybe five minutes. Then pop the back cover off and pull the battery. It should kick you to a screen saying to put the battery back in. While holding the power button remove the charging cable and hold the power button for about 30 seconds after that to completely discharge the capacitors in the phone. Now lay the phone down and go do something for about 15 minutes with the battery still out of the phone and no cable plugged in.

That is to insure the phone loses all the juice that could be built up. Now put the battery back in. Plug the phone in and power it up. Once it is fully booted reboot it to recovery and using CWM delete the battery stats file. Reboot the phone and let it charge all the way up.

It is not necessary to delete your bat stats file every day but once in a while it doesnt hurt at all. What I just had you do should reset the chip in the phone that monitors the battery. Sometimes with multiple flashes or even not flashing at all it can get out of sync with the phone. Causing crazy charge cycles and bogus battery readings. "

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Eollie and most others have moved on to other phones.
This forum is for the V and only the V. We can help, but you will have to pm me or another tech savy member with more info about your problem.
Just look for knowledgeable members with current posts. Let us know if you can get the battery pulled with out too much hassle (most tablets are near impossible to get battery out, and some have solderd wires).
You shouldn't need to root the tablet, or install a custom recovery, but I'll check on the best method to accomplish it should it become necessary.
Edit: Is your Nexus 7 a 2012 generation 1 or 2013 generation 2?

Last edited:

Stanley Levinson

Aug 1, 2019
Visit site
My Motto 5 started shutting down when I unplugged it. I had two cords and two plugs but could not localize it to either. Then, I was driving with the phone plugged in and I noticed it was losing charge by the second. I plugged it in the house and it was doing the same thing. I shut it off and it charged fine. When not charging, I think it was OK. I noticed the internal memory was very low – maybe 2%. I moved various things to the SD card and eliminated several apps that I do not use. This brought the memory to about 10%. More importantly, the phone was now charging in car and house and not shutting down when unplugged. My friend told me it was one of the apps – malicious. He told me if I had gone to battery and looked to see which app was draining a real lot of charge, I would have caught it. I think he is correct and this is the first thing to do in such a case.