Battery life discussion

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Recently I have come into some issues with battery life on my device, the Note 10+. I bought the device refurbished from Samsung. It seems in the past, when buying phones brand new, I have had much better luck with battery life. Obviously as they are brand new.

Last device I bought brand new was the Galaxy Note 9. It used to last me all day. I also had the V30 in the past purchased brand new, which used to last me all day and then some. However, I found myself having to charge my current Note 10+ twice a day.

What exactly is the connection for battery life between having a device that is either brand new, refurbished, larger screen, smaller screen, etc? Obviously I know battery life greatly depends on a variable amount of things for the user.

I wonder if I would be better off possibly upgrading to another device that is brand new with a bit larger battery, but around the same size screen, like the Note 20 Ultra, or a smaller device like the S20 though used but with a smaller screen. I generally keep my settings to 80% brightness and either 1080 or 1440 resolution. Any thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For a refurbished device, probably the most important factor would be how hard the battery was used by the previous owner. Refurbishment typically doesn't include battery replacement, so you'd be using the original battery. If the previous owner abused the battery by letting it drain deeply on a regular basis, the battery lifespan might be already significantly reduced, meaning it doesn't hold as much charge as it used to.

The best way to determine battery life is to install AccuBattery and run the Battery Health feature. After a few charge cycles, it can give you a good idea of the battery's remaining life span. In general, if the battery health is down to 85%, the user will notice fairly poor battery life.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
The odd thing is, the battery life has been good in my device for awhile after I got it. It seems like in the past 3 or 4 months I have had to charge it twice daily. I wonder if replacing the battery would help. It could be just me, but ever since I have been using the 45 watt charger daily because I lost my 25 watt charger, it seems the device has also been acting this way.

It says the battery life is at 91% which it AccuBattery has told me ever since I got the device.

I had a assumed a certified, preowned device or "refurbished," meant that the battery was replaced. This would make sense given the fact the device is two years old.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Check battery stats what stays high , maybe also run it in safe mode for awhile compare the battery drain.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I had to change the battery in my s10+ in July. It made a huge difference. It would be cheaper to pay for a new battery replacement than to get another phone. Best thing I did.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which may show Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's a shame that the refurbishment process does not include battery replacement. What are the refurbishing? Possible screen replacement and that's it?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Speaking of battery life, so Samsung now has this Protect Battery feature on the Z Fold³, Z Flip³, and, as I understand it, some of their tablets. This feature has yours truly written all over it as it means a longer lasting device...at least in my book. I feel like all phones should have this and hope to see iOS advance their version as well as Android (as a whole) adopt it. I mean, why not? For now, kudos Samsung.
89bd689b39976fbff07fc367a2baecbd.jpg

Last edited:

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I will have to look into these things. And that's a nifty little tool on the newer devices. I suppose I can have a new battery put in by ubreakifix if it's recently an issue.