Battery not charging

Tcbemis

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I got to work this morning to find that my phone hadn't charged and was at 33%. I tried using a laptop and my car, but obviously those didn't make much of a difference. Now at home it's going at a snail's pace, from 44 to 63% in a little over an hour(is this realistic?). I realize it's a pokey charger, but this seems out of the norm. Unless it isn't, I don't normally (ever) let it get that low.
T-Mobile says they can order me a replacement in 72 hours (something needs to be fixed in my account), but that will bring me up to early next week to get the new one.

Should I hope it's just lousy luck today and it'll charge, or should I do a factory reset? I'm so frustrated. I work a 25 minute drive away and hate to think about driving without it.

I would love some advice tia!

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I got to work this morning to find that my phone hadn't charged and was at 33%. I tried using a laptop and my car, but obviously those didn't make much of a difference. Now at home it's going at a snail's pace, from 44 to 63% in a little over an hour(is this realistic?). I realize it's a pokey charger, but this seems out of the norm. Unless it isn't, I don't normally (ever) let it get that low.
T-Mobile says they can order me a replacement in 72 hours (something needs to be fixed in my account), but that will bring me up to early next week to get the new one.

Should I hope it's just lousy luck today and it'll charge, or should I do a factory reset? I'm so frustrated. I work a 25 minute drive away and hate to think about driving without it.

I would love some advice tia!

Have you checked the port for debris? Do you have a wireless charger? If so, have you noticed it charging slower with that too?

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
What charging block are you using? Is it 30 watt? Personally, I wouldn't automatically assume that it is your phone because it could be your charging block (it has happened to me) - particularly if you are using an inexpensive Chinese-made "alphabet soup named" charging block. If you have access to another, brand name, 30 watt charging block, I would try that before doing anything else.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What charging block are you using? Is it 30 watt? Personally, I wouldn't automatically assume that it is your phone because it could be your charging block (it has happened to me) - particularly if you are using an inexpensive Chinese-made "alphabet soup named" charging block. If you have access to another, brand name, 30 watt charging block, I would try that before doing anything else.
Those are my thoughts as well. If the car charger is a few years old, it might not support fast charging. Laptops typically don't have high-powered USB C ports and will charge slowly.

Reactions: mustang7757

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
A USB port ammeter goes a LONG way towards figuring out what's up with this.
Like the similar comments above, if you pick up one that's a known-brand, it's more consistent, but a little more cost up-front. If you go the budget route, make sure to read the 1-2 star reviews, IME...
This way you actually know the mA output (come calculate it over a time period) instead of trying to figure out some janky math based on what the battery capacity is close to, what the charger is "supposed to" be working at, the cable(s), etc. :unsure: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sams_s22plus