Battery Optimization

TougeSpirit

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Can't seem to get this feature to work. When I select All Apps, it shows all the apps and states "Optimizing battery use," haven't seen a single app optimized. When I exit out of settings, it reverts to No Apps.

Already rebooted twice to see if that would do the trick. No dice. Any suggestions?

TougeSpirit

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Ah, didn't know it acted behind the scenes. What made that especially confusing was that when I tried to turn off optimization for some apps to get it to do anything, it didn't seem to function.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... Doze... doesn't do anything until you leave your phone alone for a while... :)

And App Standby... doesn't touch the apps you use the most. Ever have an app you rarely use just pop up one day and waste a bunch of battery for no reason? App Standby won't let that happen.

cincycats51

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Can't seem to get this feature to work. When I select All Apps, it shows all the apps and states "Optimizing battery use," haven't seen a single app optimized. When I exit out of settings, it reverts to No Apps.

Already rebooted twice to see if that would do the trick. No dice. Any suggestions?

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I click all apps and see all the apps optimizing batter use, back out and go back in, and it shows just Google Play Services as "Battery optimization not available". The way this menu works is very very confusing.

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
What are you expecting? That window sets what apps are exempt from Doze and App Standby. Both features act behind the scenes.

Read up here http://developer.android.com/training/monitoring-device-state/doze-standby.html

That's not exactly true. The optimisation menu is designed specifically to use the best battery saving options on all your apps, hence the all apps option. If this is reverting back to a default state, as your experience indicates, then you have a bug in the system settings. Nothing short of a factory reset can resolve this issue for you. Most likely a app you've installed has changed the permissions. Try to look for the setting ' reset app permissions' and try again. Otherwise you may have to reset your device back to factory. By the way, not all marshmallow operating systems have app standby or doze installed. Most probably due to restrictions from telcos.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
By the way, not all marshmallow operating systems have app standby or doze installed. Most probably due to restrictions from telcos.

Both features are required by Google... if an OEM broke either function, then they are violating their Google Services agreement.